Beckham - could this be it for him?

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
Way to keep moving the goalposts...

First it was brought in, then it was drafted, then certain guys don't count.

"Brought in" includes both free agents and draft picks, at least to my understanding. You're bringing both into your organization, are you not?

Kenny has the financial means to bring in guys like Rios and Dunn, or resign Konerko. That's the only thing that's saving him. Theoretically, you should not be a GM if you can't draft even one all star caliber hitter in 10 years time.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
"Brought in" includes both free agents and draft picks, at least to my understanding. You're bringing both into your organization, are you not?

Kenny has the financial means to bring in guys like Rios and Dunn, or resign Konerko. That's the only thing that's saving him. Theoretically, you should not be a GM if you can't draft even one all star caliber hitter in 10 years time.

Except the draft isn't the only way to bring players in to an organization. What Kenny has been successful at is taking those draft picks and players and turning them into All-Star hitters.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
Like who?

Like our whole offense? Most of the line up is good hitters. They came from places other than the draft. the only guy on the 25 man roster that Kenny didn't bring in was Paul Konerko, but he sure has heck signed him to extensions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Except the draft isn't the only way to bring players in to an organization. What Kenny has been successful at is taking those draft picks and players and turning them into All-Star hitters.

No point in arguing.

Quentin was never good

Alexei was never good

Dye sucked

Pods sucked

Iguchi sucked

Dayan's future is bleak

De Aza sucks

AJP is bad

Bring in Trout-type players or you fail as a GM.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
No point in arguing.

Quentin was never good

Alexei was never good

Dye sucked

Pods sucked

Iguchi sucked

Dayan's future is bleak

De Aza sucks

AJP is bad

Thome was one-dimensional and only K'ed, walked or homered, lol.

Sounds familiar.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
No point in arguing.

Quentin was never good

Alexei was never good

Dye sucked

Pods sucked

Iguchi sucked

Dayan's future is bleak

De Aza sucks

AJP is bad

Quentin - still playing but crazy

Alexei -Still playing defensive stud

Dye- WS MVP

Pods- Wheels for us thats what he needed to be

Iguchi- BLOWS

Dayan- 23 with alot of upside

De Aza- A true corner outfielder and slumping

AJP- Defensive liability but one of the most consistent hitters for the sox.

Just dont understand how all those guys are that terrible. But what do I know. I think Gordo should probably be a gold glove winner. Hes the 9 hitter and probably our best defender along with Alexie who is terrible? Just kind of dumbfounded by this that is all. Not trying to attack you anyway just not really understanding every point you've made.

Since when are all corner outfielders power hitters? I didnt know that? Thanks still think he would be better suited for left if Rios was more comfortable in center. Put DV with his cannon in right and i think we would cover more ground out there but then again only power hitters play the corners.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Chris Carter

Michael Morse

I think KW is a decent GM, but that's pretty brutal if that's who Kenny is hanging is hat on offensively.

BTW, did he draft Rowand?

Speaking of which, KW has also been a phenomenal GM at selling high on players. The only player that truly hurts that I can think of that KW let get away is Gio Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
I think KW is a decent GM, but that's pretty brutal if that's who Kenny is hanging is hat on offensively.

Speaking of which, KW has also been a phenomenal GM at selling high on players. The only player that truly hurts that I can think of that KW let get away is Gio Gonzalez.

Twice

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)

Don't forget that season and a half of CY Hudson and that kid who hasn't had any success above A ball.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
That all started with trying to fill a hole at 3rd. The inability of Josh Fields, over paying Teahan, makes me think the Sox should make every effort to sign Youk.

God, it's been 3 years since we trade for him and people still can't spell Teahen right?

QUOTE (Wagz @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
Quentin - still playing but crazy

Alexei -Still playing defensive stud

Dye- WS MVP

Pods- Wheels for us thats what he needed to be

Iguchi- BLOWS

Dayan- 23 with alot of upside

De Aza- A true corner outfielder and slumping

AJP- Defensive liability but one of the most consistent hitters for the sox.

Just dont understand how all those guys are that terrible. But what do I know. I think Gordo should probably be a gold glove winner. Hes the 9 hitter and probably our best defender along with Alexie who is terrible? Just kind of dumbfounded by this that is all. Not trying to attack you anyway just not really understanding every point you've made.

It was sarcasm poking fun at the stupid post that KW has never "brought in" a good hitter.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:30 PM)

Uh, this is what a Top 20 list of K-Dub's offensive draft picks from 2001 to 2009 might look like (and no, he did not draft Michael Morse).

Chris Young

Gordon Beckham

Brent Morel

Jeremy Reed

Brian Anderson

Ryan Sweeney

Chris Getz

Chris Carter

Aaron Cunningham

Josh Fields

Donny Lucy

Brandon Allen

Clinton King

Robert Valido

Jon Zeringue

Jay Mattox

Tyler Reves

John Shelby

Jared Mitchell

Josh Phegley

Trayce Thompson

I've never heard of some of those guys - I mostly just included players who were drafted in the first 5 rounds.

This is probably the worst offensive run of any GM in baseball, correct?

Like I said before, he's getting by on payroll. Anybody can bring in a Dunn, Thome, Dye, Rios, etc if they have the financial backing. You seem like a pretty intelligent guy - it's shocking to me that you don't understand this.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
Uh, this is what a Top 20 list of K-Dub's offensive draft picks from 2001 to 2009 might look like (and no, he did not draft Michael Morse).

Chris Young

Gordon Beckham

Brent Morel

Jeremy Reed

Brian Anderson

Ryan Sweeney

Chris Getz

Chris Carter

Aaron Cunningham

Josh Fields

Donny Lucy

Brandon Allen

Clinton King

Robert Valido

Jon Zeringue

Jay Mattox

Tyler Reves

John Shelby

Jared Mitchell

Josh Phegley

Trayce Thompson

I've never heard of some of those guys - I mostly just included players who were drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Like I said before, he's getting by on payroll. Anybody can bring in a Dunn, Thome, Dye, Rios, etc if they have the financial backing. You seem like a pretty intelligent guy - it's shocking to me that you don't understand this.

But you're missing 2/3rd's of the picture. Nobody gives a freakin' trophy for best farm system or best attendance.

You're missing all the pitchers that have been acquired like Sale, Contreras, Garcia, Javy, Thornton (for Borchard), Loiaza (flipped for Jose), Floyd, Danks, McCarthy, Holmberg, Hudson, Richard, Jenks, Santos, Humber, Quintana ON and ON and ON.

International free agents, they got Iguchi, Takatsu, Viciedo, Ramirez, etc.

PITCHING IS MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN POSITION PLAYERS, with the possible exceptions of SS, C and CF.

Got AJ for nothing....DeAza for nothing....Alexei for virtually nothing (his original contract). Alex Rios for nothing.

Got Quentin for Carter, who took 4 years to make a significant impact.

K. Walker should be on the list, too.

In the end, drafting position players is only 15-20% of what a GM does. KW has compensated in a multitude of other areas.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)

Chris Young

Gordon Beckham

Brent Morel

Jeremy Reed

Brian Anderson

Ryan Sweeney

Chris Getz

Chris Carter

Aaron Cunningham

Josh Fields

Donny Lucy

Brandon Allen

Clinton King

Robert Valido

Jon Zeringue

Jay Mattox

Tyler Reves

John Shelby

Jared Mitchell

Josh Phegley

Trayce Thompson

I counted 11 that made the show. Not bad. Not bad at all.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)

Chris Young

Gordon Beckham

Brent Morel

Jeremy Reed

Brian Anderson

Ryan Sweeney

Chris Getz

Chris Carter

Aaron Cunningham

Josh Fields

Donny Lucy

Brandon Allen

Clinton King

Robert Valido

Jon Zeringue

Jay Mattox

Tyler Reves

John Shelby

Jared Mitchell

Josh Phegley

Trayce Thompson

Bleh, thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting here. Troll city these days, I miss this site.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 03:47 AM)
But you're missing 2/3rd's of the picture. Nobody gives a freakin' trophy for best farm system or best attendance.

You're missing all the pitchers that have been acquired like Sale, Contreras, Garcia, Javy, Thornton (for Borchard), Loiaza (flipped for Jose), Floyd, Danks, McCarthy, Holmberg, Hudson, Richard, Jenks, Santos, Humber, Quintana ON and ON and ON.

International free agents, they got Iguchi, Takatsu, Viciedo, Ramirez, etc.

PITCHING IS MUCH MORE VALUABLE THAN POSITION PLAYERS, with the possible exceptions of SS, C and CF.

Got AJ for nothing....DeAza for nothing....Alexei for virtually nothing (his original contract). Alex Rios for nothing.

Got Quentin for Carter, who took 4 years to make a significant impact.

K. Walker should be on the list, too.

In the end, drafting position players is only 15-20% of what a GM does. KW has compensated in a multitude of other areas.

Nobody is talking about pitching in this thread, though. I have no beef with Kenny as far as that's concerned.