Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Jim Bowden's new ESPN Insider article.....

"If I had to rank the suitors in the order of the likelihood they get Greinke, it would go like this:

1. Rangers

2. Angels

3. Braves

4. Nationals

5. Blue Jays

6. Dodgers

7. Orioles "

IIRC wasn't Bowden the guy reporting the Sox getting Dunn for Jackson a few deadlines ago? I don't believe anything that guy says. Especially with all the insiders that actually have solid sources.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 02:36 PM)
IIRC wasn't Bowden the guy reporting the Sox getting Dunn for Jackson a few deadlines ago? I don't believe anything that guy says. Especially with all the insiders that actually have solid sources.

Except even Kenny thought that was happening from the sounds of it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
I just don't like the idea of giving up a ton without getting any long-term benefit out of the player.

Agreed, and right now I just can't see a package of prospects that we can build that would beat the offers from teams like the Rangers or Braves.

Which is why I think KW is going after Lee, Doc, Johnson, etc instead.

I'll be honest. If this team stood pat, as is, I'd have zero issues. This team is good enough to make noise. And if Sale/Peavy break down, and they very well might, well then it isn't, and getting Greinke wouldn't be much of a benefit either way.

If they upgrade, great, but I'm not giving up an arm and a leg for a short term upgrade for a team that I personally believe can go the distance if all works out well (and to be frank, thats all I can ask).

Note: I like this team a lot more then most. Adding Myers and Youk were great moves. Really just what was needed and without sacrificing the future.

If Grienke has issues pitching at US Cellular, than schedule it the rest of the way where he pitches most of his starts away. We did something similar to this for Freddy Garcia back in '05 and '06 as he struggled a bit at home. I would NOT worry about that statement.

I can see why a team would want him for the rest of the season but to give up a lot for a rental? Idiotic. Greinke is a nutcase as well. I'd trade for him, but it will be sad if the Sox have to give up Tank or somebody who actually might make it big in the bigs. Would they take Beckham and Danks' brother for him?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
I can see why a team would want him for the rest of the season but to give up a lot for a rental? Idiotic. Greinke is a nutcase as well. I'd trade for him, but it will be sad if the Sox have to give up Tank or somebody who actually might make it big in the bigs. Would they take Beckham and Danks' brother for him?

i dont think kw is trading viciedo nor should he. beckham and danks? dont think they would be interested lol

I think the offer may be along the lines of Floyd, Mitchell, and Jones/Reed. I don't know if that could get it done though. The Brewers could pick up Floyd's option, get a legit prospect in Mitchell, and receive some much needed bullpen help. I don't know if Jones can develop into a closer but he's probably already as good as Axford and K rod are right now.

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)

You have no idea what the going rate is on him, so dont freak out until the deal is done.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I think the offer may be along the lines of Floyd, Mitchell, and Jones/Reed. I don't know if that could get it done though. The Brewers could pick up Floyd's option, get a legit prospect in Mitchell, and receive some much needed bullpen help. I don't know if Jones can develop into a closer but he's probably already as good as Axford and K rod are right now.

I would not do that trade.