Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
yep. I was thinking about that the other day. Thanx.

lol, so much easier to figure out which thing you're responding to than it used to be

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
Damn, greg. You didn't know how to do that? That's almost as bad as you not knowing Jason is the site owner.

Who is Jason? Are you the site owner? Is this a Cubs website?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Damn, greg. You didn't know how to do that? That's almost as bad as you not knowing Jason is the site owner.

i dont know how to do that and i dont know who jason is :ph34r:

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
I could see the Sox making a move for Beckett.

31.5 mil owed the next two years(not including this years salary) 4-9 4.57 era, good luck to them trying to move him

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)

I tend to not know who many posters are unless they've PMed me, like you. I do know fathom from longevity and caufield from longevity and posting late at night and I blocked caesar.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
Quintana, Jones and Saladino would be bearable if they could re-sign the guy. Otherwise it's a bad deal unless they win the WS lol.

Great post. I agree.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:47 PM)
31.5 mil owed the next two years(not including this years salary) 4-9 4.57 era, good luck to them trying to move him

Cliff Lee is owed a bunch too. I was just throwing out a possible name. If Boston pays most of it, I could see it happening perhaps.

there was absolutely no reason for KW to be inquiring about ichiro unless he thought there was a chance of moving one of the OFers, so I'm guessing the deal would probably focus on viciedo or de aza. using the same logic, maybe the myers acquisition was to give them the option of dealing Reed.

Id love to see greinke here. A playoff rotation of sale, peavy, greinke, quintana would be huge.

If we dont win the division, the wild card situation will also be interesting this year - we have a great shot to at least make it to the play-in game (or at least a play-in to the play-in!). Assuming the tigers win the central, yankees the east, and the rangers the west, id imagine the angels will get 1 WC. I can't see the O's, jays, or tribe being there in the end. The Bosox have a ridiculously hard schedule left. That leaves the Rays and athletics as the teams we'd be competing against for final WC, and id like our chances there

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
I want another guy to look at in case this doesn't go through/for leverage.

You telling me we can't get Garza for a package like this?

5-7 with a 3.9+ ERA in the NL Central for a bunch of prospects and possibly Floyd, Beckham, or Quintana? Pass.

Sox fans must be still spoiled with the 2005 World Series if they are willing to pass on this golden opportunity because they don't want to sell the farm. Greinke is a difference maker at the top of the rotation. Does it guarantee a World Series, no, but neither does hanging on to Viciedo, Reed, or Quintana. All this talk about this package is too much, or that package is too much because it involves one or two of those three is in my opinion nonsense.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
Saw this on MLB tonight. 23 of the 49 runs Greinke has allowed this year have come in 5 innings.

Also GB% OF 53.7% to go along with 8 k/9, perfect for the cell.

But The Cell is "dark" and "different."

Edited by iamshack

Here's Heyman's odds: I'll just do the top three and include a link if you want to see the rest of the list. NOTE: does Heyman really not know Floyd is back? I mean c'mon man get ur facts straight.

1. Rangers. They had Hamels first on their list and appear to be considering Josh Johnson and James Shields, as well, now. But they have the best prospects to trade, perhaps giving them an inside track. Baseball people knew the Rangers were in but started to get the idea Texas would mount a serious effort when it sent two scouts to Philadelphia, including Jim Colborn, a big-time guy known for his Pacific Rim work (he was behind Yu Darvish). There's been no request for maybe the best prospect in baseball, shortstop Jurickson Profar to date. It isn't known whether the Rangers would consider trading top third base prospect Mike Olt for Greinke, but even if not, they have other high-end prospects to deal. Greinke won a Cy Young in the American League in 2009 so the league switch shouldn't be an issue, either. Odds: 9-5.

2. Braves. The Braves like Greinke very much, and another positive, he is said to like them, as well, a big plus after their bad experience of being blown off by Ryan Dempster (who they expected to approve the deal to Atlanta). Greinke is said by one person close to him to actually love the idea of Atlanta long-term, as the Braves have been consistent winners (a big thing for him, though apparently not so much for Dempster) and it doesn't hurt that they train in his hometown of Orlando. The Braves have a very nice crop of big-time pitching prospects, including Randall Delgado, who was all set to go to Chicago for Dempster. Odds: 3-1.

3. White Sox. They are said to absolutely love Greinke, and GM Kenny Williams is a man who doesn't let prospects stand in the way of a run at a championship. The one issue is whether the White Sox could go toe-to-toe with the top two teams in terms of prospect packages. They do have many rookie pitchers on their current roster, however. With John Danks having no timetable for a return and Gavin Floyd out now, too, there certainly is a need. Odds: 5-1.

Link:http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19662670/greinke-derby-should-be-a-doozy-rangers-braves-chisox-angels-dodgers-etc

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
Sox fans must be still spoiled with the 2005 World Series if they are willing to pass on this golden opportunity because they don't want to sell the farm. Greinke is a difference maker at the top of the rotation. Does it guarantee a World Series, no, but neither does hanging on to Viciedo, Reed, or Quintana. All this talk about this package is too much, or that package is too much because it involves one or two of those three is in my opinion nonsense.

The type of trades you're talking about would make it impossible to be much more than a .500 team next year.

If they traded three young cost-controlled prospects, how are they supposed to field a decent team next year?

They can't possibly afford to fill 3B, 2B, LF, C, at least one starting pitcher and a possibly a closer from outside the organization.

If they were 4-6 games ahead of the Tigers, then it would have more validity. It's too much of a gamble because Greinke hasn't pitched any better than Peavy or Quintana, especially if you correct for the difference beween the AL and NL.

Edited by caulfield12