Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

WSCR) For the White Sox, it’s Zack Greinke or bust as far as the trade market is concerned.

Reports have indicated general manager Kenny Williams is hot in pursuit of the former Cy Young Award winner, who is 9-3, 3.44 ERA this season.

“The White Sox are trying very hard,” Jon Heyman of CBS Sports told The McNeil and Spiegel Show. “He is choice 1, 1A, 1B – everything else for the White Sox. We gotta see if they can put a deal together. Kenny Williams has been willing in the past to trade guys off the Major League team. I wouldn’t rule out anybody – Addison Reed, (Hector) Santiago, (Jose) Quintana, whoever. because he’s traded in the past. … They don’t have a deep farm system. I know the Brewers don’t like their farm system. No surprise there, as very few do. Kenny has been able to make these deals in the past. I’m not ruling them out, even though Texas has a lot more. The Angels have a little more and the Braves have significantly more also.”

Heyman said it might take a young pitcher like Addison Reed to sweeten the pot for the Brewers.

“Kenny has been able to do it in the past,” Heyman said. “He’s been willing to take chances, obviously, trading guys off the Major League team that are comparable to the guys that we’ve named. Addison Reed would hurt, but it’s going to have to hurt a little bit to get Zack Greinke when, right now, there are four viable places for him to go.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/27/hey...in-for-greinke/

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
I guess I just disagree. IMO ZG is worth a gamble on a very good team, in a year where Baseball

Is very much wide open for the first time in a while. And it's not like they guy is going to combust, he has proven to be an ace pitcher his whole career. Including a playoff run with the Brewers. He is a competitor and would relish the chance to help a first place team go to the playoffs and maybe win a championship. And by the way make himself a little money in the process. Money I think we would pay of we WIN.

He's been an "ace" one year in his entire career. He might be the most overrated pitcher in baseball given his career stats.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
I would give up Reed, but that's about the max. I don't value closers or relievers that highly.

Which is fair, and I agree with that, but 5.5yrs of setup/closer for .5yr of top end starter is not equal.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
This was the trade back then the Brewers had with the Royals:

The Royals receive speedy outfielder Lorenzo Cain, young shortstop Alcides Escobar and pitching prospects Jeremy Jeffress and Jake Odirizzi for Greinke and veteran shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt, who presumably will take Escobar's place in the Brewers' infield. Kansas City will also send $2 million in the deal to Milwaukee to cover part of the salary of Betancourt, who is to make $4 million this year and has a $2-million buyout in 2012.

IMO not one of those guys they received in return are perennial All-Stars and aren't players you can build a team around. If the Sox trade them Floyd and Beckham the Brewers have a replacement for Escobar in Beckham and a cost controlled SP who could be dominate in the NL. Let's not kid ourselves here, Floyd has nasty stuff. When he is on he is unhittable. It's not like the Brewers are getting some slouch. Gavins problem is in between his ears most of the time. And it turns out the Brewers have success with pitchers like that, see Zach Grienke. And if the Sox throw in Castro or Hernandez they have a young prospect with a high upside.

At this point, comparing Beckham and Escobar as shortstops is something of a joke. And ur not getting Beckham's first 6 years, you're getting him where he's more expensive and possibly a non-tender candidate to many.

Floyd is just another version of Edwin Jackson....he has value, but he's not getting paid like Edinson Volquez either. Nobody would say his production is coming cheap. Sure, he'll be better in the NL, but they wouldn't control his rights after 2013.

Hernandez and Castro wouldn't come to approximating any top prospects (Top 100) that other teams could come up with.

They might not even be Top 250, especially Hernandez.

Odorizzi was more highly valued than any pitcher we could come up from our minor league system. Jeffress is like Nathan Jones or Soptic.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I disagree. 6 years of Reed closing for us is not worth 10 starts of Greinke who has publicly said he doesn't like our ballpark and didn't list the White Sox as a preferred team he'd like to end up with. Beyond that, by losing Reed we hurt our bullpen badly, so the advantage of acquiring Greinke is mitigated.

I personally trust KW, our scouts, player development, talent evaluators, etc we have in place with in the organization to make player decisions. They have had a damn good track record since Buddy Bell came in and our current ML roster shows that. With that said I also trust their assessment of a player when determining if he is replaceable going forward. Look at Sergio, people were flabergasted when KW traded him for nothing. And they guy hasn't pitched since April. Let them do their jobs. We have multiple closers on the team now and I trust them to find a replacement if need be for future years. Again do you want to take a chance and be a part of another deep run in October, see a trophy lifted in the middle of US Cellular field, a parade with 2 Mil people in the streets of Chicago. Or do you want to worry about what could happen next year and in 2018 next year. Cause the difference is, the Chicago Whitesox go for it, year in year out. The Chicago Cubs wait till next year and worry about next year in July. Me, I prefer to be a Sox fan.

Go get em' Kenny, worry about next year in November with another ring on your finger.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Ugh, please KW, stop this fascination right meow.

It's definitely not worth giving up your closer of the future for a rental.

10 starts vs. 5 years...you do the math.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
He's kind of like Gavin Floyd, but with much much better stuff.

He's actually stronger mentally than Floyd...in my opinion.

Which should tell you something about Gavin.

He does have the Verlander ability to reach back and get something extra on the fastball too....not high 90's, but 94-97.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
I personally trust KW, our scouts, player development, talent evaluators, etc we have in place with in the organization to make player decisions. They have had a damn good track record since Buddy Bell came in and our current ML roster shows that. With that said I also trust their assessment of a player when determining if he is replaceable going forward. Look at Sergio, people were flabergasted when KW traded him for nothing. And they guy hasn't pitched since April. Let them do their jobs. We have multiple closers on the team now and I trust them to find a replacement if need be for future years. Again do you want to take a chance and be a part of another deep run in October, see a trophy lifted in the middle of US Cellular field, a parade with 2 Mil people in the streets of Chicago. Or do you want to worry about what could happen next year and in 2018 next year. Cause the difference is, the Chicago Whitesox go for it, year in year out. The Chicago Cubs wait till next year and worry about next year in July. Me, I prefer to be a Sox fan.

Go get em' Kenny, worry about next year in November with another ring on your finger.

I wouldn't describe Santos as a "win." We lucked out, but it will make teams more hesitant to deal with us. That's the second time a significant pitching deal with the Jays has blown up.

Buddy Bell? Hmmm. Beckham? Mark Teahen? I'd say the record is spotty at best.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
I don't mind giving up Jones for Greinke but not Reed

Yeah, I'd give up Jones as the main piece in a split second.

But Reed is far more valuable than some view him on this forum. His ERA may be around 4, but his peripherals point to a guy who is an elite closer, as does his stuff.

Elite closer for 5 years > elite starter for 10 starts. Besides, do any of you really trust Brett Myers as our closer for the rest of the year? I don't.

Not that the Brewers would go for it, but Reed straight up for Grienke? If it came down to giving up Reed, I would hope that would be it...maybe a minor leaguer or two. I like Reed, but I think the Sox have some good candidates to fill the closer roll (Myers, Jones).

If a deal goes down that involves two of Reed, Jones, Quintana, Floyd I'd be upset.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
BTW, Greinke had a 6.48 ERA in 3 postseason starts last year.

There's nothing to be learned from a 3 start sample size. That ERA is completely irrelevant.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
He's kind of like Gavin Floyd, but with much much better stuff.

Understatement of the century? That would be like saying Beckham is kind of like Chase Utley, only without the talent. C'mon now.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
There's nothing to be learned from a 3 start sample size. That ERA is completely irrelevant.

Understatement of the century? That would be like saying Beckham is kind of like Chase Utley, only without the talent. C'mon now.

Fine. He's a lot like Javier Vazquez, but with much much much better stuff. Happy now? :lolhitting

Greinke has this ability to give up a flurry of runs in one or two innings once in a while. Otherwise, he's fairly dominant. I would rather have somebody that was a bit more consistent though. Is there a chance we get Shaun Marcum? I know he's hurt, but he'd come a hell of a lot cheaper.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Its Greinke or nobody. We are going all out for Greinke, the Brewers want Reed.

According to Heyman, he was on WSCR

I just have a hard time giving up Reed and Floyd for 2 months of Greinke. Its just tough. I can probably live with that deal though, as long as the Sox reinvest and do something in the off-season to sign a pitcher. If the Sox were interested in signing Greinke to a 4yr 80M deal, then I'd be more on board.