Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny will win exec of the year if he adds a legit starting pitcher without significant harm to the MLB roster. If he gets a reliever too, then just wow. Might as well nab Chase Utley while you're at it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Kenny will win exec of the year if he adds a legit starting pitcher without significant harm to the MLB roster. If he gets a reliever too, then just wow. Might as well nab Chase Utley while you're at it.

The bullpen right now is Reed, Thornton, Crain, Myers, Jones, Santiago and one or two others. That is pretty solid and no longer a weakness, IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
Come on, who has a better 1-2-3 right now than us? We are in good shape and I think KW is actually deeper elsewhere.

Well now the Angels do. The Rangers arguably do. And not to mention this move will set the Rangers off to go out and acquire some guys. Thus overpaying, and taking the chances of us getting someone that will actual be worth the cost slim. Sorry this is bad news. Finally, who is are 1-2-3 a guy who hasnt started a season in the ML or shown he can last the while season and a deep run in October, a guy who's arm basically feel off a few years ago and is back for the first time in three years who is always being overpitched, and a 23 year old minor league journeyman who is pitching lights out, who is also unproven in a full season. Sorry I think you guys are overvaluing the depth of our rotation right now. I'm personally very disappointed, and am deflated cause our chances of making a run in the playoffs just got a hell of a lot more difficult.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
The bullpen right now is Reed, Thornton, Crain, Myers, Jones, Santiago and one or two others. That is pretty solid and no longer a weakness, IMO.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him nab another late inning reliever but it will cost at least Mitchell and one of the younger pens arms in return.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
I wouldnt be surprised to see him nab another late inning reliever but it will cost at least Mitchell and one of the younger pens arms in return.

And to me, that seems like overkill, especially given Ventura's long leash for the starters.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Well now the Angels do. The Rangers arguably do. And not to mention this move will set the Rangers off to go out and acquire some guys. Thus overpaying, and taking the chances of us getting someone that will actual be worth the cost slim. Sorry this is bad news. Finally, who is are 1-2-3 a guy who hasnt started a season in the ML or shown he can last the while season and a deep run in October, a guy who's arm basically feel odds a few years ago and is back for the first time in three years who is always being overpitched, and a 23 year old minor league journeyman who is pitching lights out, who is also unproven in a full season. Sorry I think you guys are overvaluing the depth of our rotation right now. I'm personally very disappointed, and am deflated cause our chances of making a run in the playoffs just got a hell of a lot more difficult.

Rangers:

White Sox

LAA

3.44 (in NL central)

This one goes to your white sox. I guess you can bring in ancillary comments with your opinion but I choose to just look at facts and statistics.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
Rotoworld calling it for Grienke to Angels. Will start Sunday.

I'm in on Shields.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Angels have acquired Zack Greinke from the Brewers.

The rumored deal would net the Brewers Jean Segura and a pair of Double-A pitchers. It hasn't been announced yet, but it looks like Greinke will be making his next start for the Angels on Sunday. He has publicly stated that he holds the Angels in high regard and may be open to signing a contract extension now that he's there.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
Well now the Angels do. The Rangers arguably do. And not to mention this move will set the Rangers off to go out and acquire some guys. Thus overpaying, and taking the chances of us getting someone that will actual be worth the cost slim. Sorry this is bad news. Finally, who is are 1-2-3 a guy who hasnt started a season in the ML or shown he can last the while season and a deep run in October, a guy who's arm basically feel off a few years ago and is back for the first time in three years who is always being overpitched, and a 23 year old minor league journeyman who is pitching lights out, who is also unproven in a full season. Sorry I think you guys are overvaluing the depth of our rotation right now. I'm personally very disappointed, and am deflated cause our chances of making a run in the playoffs just got a hell of a lot more difficult.

Yeah, Zach Greinke's 6.00+ playoff ERA probably has most of baseball calling it a season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Rangers:

White Sox

LAA

3.44 (in NL central)

Guess we can check back on this after we play the other half of the season. Difference between ours and theirs is uncertainty. But I respect your opinion, and well Check the facts after the whole season is played. Well also see which of these teams fair the best in October. IMO us getting ZG puts us ahead, but them getting ZG puts them further ahead than us.

This one goes to your white sox. I guess you can bring in ancillary comments with your opinion but I choose to just look at facts and statistics.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
No suprise Sox just do not have the horses in minors to pull the deal off.

Im guessing it was more like Greinke wanted NOTHING to do with the White Sox and we were told he had no interest in signing an extension.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
Yeah, Zach Greinke's 6.00+ playoff ERA probably has most of baseball calling it a season.

Yep cause a whole three starts is enough of a sample size to judge it. Whatever man, like I said we can check back on this debate in a couple months and we can see.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
You can bet your asses that Texas will get either Shields or Johnson now. They won't stand pat.

I bet the Sox get Dempster.

I was thinking about that too. If the Dodgers don't get him, maybe Dempster will just want to get out of dodge, and Kenny can get him for a steal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
Hellweg and Ariel Pena are the two pitchers involved. All three guys traded are better than anything the Sox have in the minors by some accounts.

I;m guessing it went like this:

Viciedo and....

Will Zack sign an extension?

No.

*hangs up*

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
Yep cause a whole three starts is enough of a sample size to judge it. Whatever man, like I said we can check back on this debate in a couple months and we can see.

Yeah, whatever man. You make it sound like the guy never has a bad game and were willing to sell the Sox near future for 10 starts. What about that sample size? The facts are, and I know facts are something you have a hard time with when it comes to Greinke,1. the guy has some issues. 2. the guy didn't want to be a White Sox. 3. There's no guarantee he would have pitched at a Cy Young level if he were here based on numbers 1 and 2. and 4. he's gone through stretches where he hasn't been very good in each of the past 3 seasons. Its not worth what it would have cost for 10 f***ing starts. If the farm system was loaded, perhaps another story.

Edited by Dick Allen