Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Well, in that case, I hope we don't trade one of those outfielders. Actually, I'm not sure I want to see Reed traded at all. Floyd + Reed is probably the right value, but, I don't feel real good about any of the rest of the bullpen working as a closer.

This potential deal scares me, I don't want to lose any long term major league pieces for 2 mths of Grienke, and I definitely don't want to sign him to a >$20mm/yr deal.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:05 AM)
We'll get Greinke...when he is 35 and a junk ball pitcher after Tommy John. KW always gets his man.

This will probably be right. There's just way too much out there in the media right now for these current rumors to be true. Kenny likes "flying under the radar."

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:14 PM)
This potential deal scares me, I don't want to lose any long term major league pieces for 2 mths of Grienke, and I definitely don't want to sign him to a >$20mm/yr deal.

Completely agree, I hope the Braves trade for him. I don't want to see the Sox give up Reed and someone like Quintana or Viciedo for 10 games of Greinke.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Completely agree, I hope the Braves trade for him. I don't want to see the Sox give up Reed and someone like Quintana or Viciedo for 10 games of Greinke.

If you could get him to sign an extension, that would be one thing, but for a rental with zero compensation, you have to be careful. I would definitely give up Floyd, but Reed, I don't know. I know closers are supposedly a dime a dozen, but all that guy has ever wanted to be was a closer. I think he'll be elite eventually. The elite ones are worth their weight in gold on a good team.

If the Sox do trade Floyd, they are going to have some money to play with next offseason assuming they are not dropping the payroll.

Edited by Dick Allen

Everyone here loves Quintana's story, but you have to think this is the sell-high moment for him. Meanwhile to reduce the acquisition of Greinke to "just 10 games of Greinke" ignores the fact that in a playoff series you completely revamp the outlook for your team when you can run Greinke/Sale/Peavy out there in each series you get into.

If they trade for Greinke, Floyd will be involved. That scenario Ken Rosenthal came up with where Floyd goes to Toronto for prospects, that would be flipped to Milwaukee makes some sense. Then maybe the Toronto prospects plus a Mitchell or Thompson, and Simon Castro or another minor league arm or arms.

I don't think they're going to touch the offense they have now.

I also don't think Quintana is in danger of being traded.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
If you could get him to sign an extension, that would be one thing, but for a rental with zero compensation, you have to be careful. I would definitely give up Floyd, but Reed, I don't know. I know closers are supposedly a dime a dozen, but all that guy has ever wanted to be was a closer. I think he'll be elite eventually. The elite ones are worth their weight in gold on a good team.

If the Sox do trade Floyd, they are going to have some money to play with next offseason assuming they are not dropping the payroll.

If it's Floyd + spects I have no issue with this trade at all, I'm pretty much over Floyd at this point and view him just as about league average at this point. Giving up 1.5 years of him for .5 of Grienke seems fair from a Sox perspective, but most likely isn't enough for Milwaukee.

Selling high on Reed or Jones is a smart thing to do. Viciedo and Quintana are way too much, but after seeing him myself, I am convinced the national prospect evaluators were wrong about Eduardo & I do think he can hit enough in regular playing time to stick at SS. If Kenny offered Floyd + Reed or Jones + Eduardo + a top prospect then that would be worth a good deal more to the Brewers than a sandwich pick and a late first/high second.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
If it's Floyd + spects I have no issue with this trade at all, I'm pretty much over Floyd at this point and view him just as about league average at this point. Giving up 1.5 years of him for .5 of Grienke seems fair from a Sox perspective, but most likely isn't enough for Milwaukee.

I wouldn't think its enough, but its a decent start. I just wonder what teams will be offering. We have to remember, you don't get that draft pick compensation if you don't sign him anymore. On one hand you have that, on the other hand you have a lot of teams with a lot of spare highly thought of minor leaguers who are looking for pitching. I think its unlikely the Sox get him, but I also don't think the others offers are going to be as significant as many think.

Its possible Greinke comes in and is lights out, its also possible his issues make him not so good. If Milwaukee really offered him $100 million, I can't understand why he wouldn't take it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Why do other teams want Floyd? If the Sox are so willing to dump him at this stage in his career, why would other teams trade for him as opposed to a younger, cheaper player?

He's actually shown he can get MLB hitters out. Sometimes very well. With the others, its all projection.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Why do other teams want Floyd? If the Sox are so willing to dump him at this stage in his career, why would other teams trade for him as opposed to a younger, cheaper player?

He has a cost controlled year on his contract, as an ML innings eater.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)

If its Reed plus Quintana or Viciedo, no way. In fact, I am not sure I'd do just Viciedo. I'd do it for just Reed maybe, or just Quintana maybe.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
If its Reed plus Quintana or Viciedo, no way. In fact, I am not sure I'd do just Viciedo. I'd do it for just Reed maybe, or just Quintana maybe.

Yeah I don't see how the trade up from Floyd to Grienke is worth the trade down from Viciedo to JorDanks.

Would not trade Viciedo for Grienke without an extension for Grienke. Even then, I'd probably need a pretty good power bat prospect to come along with Grienke.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Everyone here loves Quintana's story, but you have to think this is the sell-high moment for him.

Players who can do what he is doing stay good, same with Viciedo, and dumping 5 years of those players for 2 months of anyone is pretty much the exact opposite of selling high. Of course that doesn't mean they'll both be great players, but those are the types you keep and take your chances on. Those two should only be out there in a potential deal if it is for a young, cheap, controllable star.

OTOH, it is always a great idea to churn out young closers and deal them for better players. Jones is fine taking over for Reed; it's not like Reed is Sale-like or even Sergio-like is his abilities. He seems like an average closer, and while that has value, a shot a Championship is worth it IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
My biggest concern with trading Q for Greinke is that there's a solid chance Q performs just as good as Greinke does the rest of the way. Q has already dominating some of the best lineups in baseball.

That's true. Greinke, IMO, is boom or bust. He's either going to go on a huge roll or will struggle with the giant spotlight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
My biggest concern with trading Q for Greinke is that there's a solid chance Q performs just as good as Greinke does the rest of the way. Q has already dominating some of the best lineups in baseball.

Bingo. Floyd and Jones for Greinke and KRod? That'd get me real excited.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
Bingo. Floyd and Jones for Greinke and KRod? That'd get me real excited.

Have you seen him pitch this year?? Since he was handed the closers job last week, this is what he has done:

7/17: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 K, SV

7/18: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, SV

7/23: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, BS, L

7/25: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, BS, L

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
FWIW: KW has had an offer out there for a while now for Greinke. It's substantial and includes key mlb roster talent. Sox are very determined to land him.

I'm guessing Floyd+Beckham + Spect maybe for Greinke+Weeks+ bullpen help

MIL wanted Beckham badly a few years ago when KW was trying to trade for Prince Fielder. I can easily see them resorting Beckham back into a shortstop, since they have a huge need for a young SS. The more I read the less likely I think the Brewers move him for just prospects. If they can get ML talent and young talent at that I would have to think that's what they prefer. I just think that is a lot of we don't extend him, maybe well have a window.