Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
Have you seen him pitch this year?? Since he was handed the closers job last week, this is what he has done:

7/17: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 K, SV

7/18: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, SV

7/23: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, BS, L

7/25: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, BS, L

I think some of these numbers are skewed. Just like Grienke I think This is another case of pitching like your bored and have nothing to win for. I think adding him would be huge for the bullpen.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
My biggest concern with trading Q for Greinke is that there's a solid chance Q performs just as good as Greinke does the rest of the way. Q has already dominating some of the best lineups in baseball.

Originally I thought I would be in favor of moving Q because he could be a flash in the pan...but the more and more I see of him, I am more impressed.

I don't know that Greinke would be any better than Quintana, and I don't know that Greinke would be any more poised in a playoff situation than Quintana. What we do know, is we could control Quintana for about 150-200 more starts before he hits free agency, while we'd only control Greinke for about 10-12.

I just can't give that up for a guy as that is as big of a wild card as Greinke is.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Originally I thought I would be in favor of moving Q because he could be a flash in the pan...but the more and more I see of him, I am more impressed.

I don't know that Greinke would be any better than Quintana, and I don't know that Greinke would be any more poised in a playoff situation than Quintana. What we do know, is we could control Quintana for about 150-200 more starts before he hits free agency, while we'd only control Greinke for about 10-12.

I just can't give that up for a guy as that is as big of a wild card as Greinke is.

His start against the Yankees really won me over. The way he was able to recover from early damage and keep it close enough for the offense and get the win is exactly the type of thing you see from a veteran.

With his terrific command, multiple pitches, ability to get the groundball DP when he needs it, the cutter in on the hands again and again and again... I'm convinced that anyone who isn't confident in this kid's future just isn't watching. He has the ability plus all the intangibles to go with it. He has a good move to first, can field his position, works quicks, throws strike 1 - this is the Columbian Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
His start against the Yankees really won me over. The way he was able to recover from early damage and keep it close enough for the offense and get the win is exactly the type of thing you see from a veteran.

With his terrific command, multiple pitches, ability to get the groundball DP when he needs it, the cutter in on the hands again and again and again... I'm convinced that anyone who isn't confident in this kid's future just isn't watching. He has the ability plus all the intangibles to go with it. He has a good move to first, can field his position, works quicks, throws strike 1 - this is the Columbian Mark Buehrle.

I agree 100%

This is pretty exciting. The proposals I am reading make me nauseous to lose those players, but I also feel like I would immediately rationalize trading for greinke as the right decision if we landed him. Fun stuff.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:40 AM)
Floyd, one of Mitchell/Walker/Thompson, and one of the young relievers NOT named Reed. That should do it.

That is an awful lot to give up for a guy that is going to walk. I'd give that up for Josh Johnson. I'm not doing it for Greinke. That really hinders the club in the off-season. I don't think they have enough internal arms to replace Peavy and Floyd in next years rotation (albeit, they obviously could make another move).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
That is an awful lot to give up for a guy that is going to walk. I'd give that up for Josh Johnson. I'm not doing it for Greinke. That really hinders the club in the off-season. I don't think they have enough internal arms to replace Peavy and Floyd in next years rotation (albeit, they obviously could make another move).

I still think Peavy will be back. I've said it numerous times, but if I'm going to overpay for something on a one year deal it's a legit #1 starter. He and Sale have been critical to our success this year and I'd prefer not losing that combo next year because Peavy will overpaid by a couple of million dollars.

If we do bring Peavy back, then I think you plan on replacing Floyd with Castro next year.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Personally I think in any deal there will be a window to negotiate an extension, however I don't think it would hold up a deal on our end. KW is making this move (or any team for that matter) with every intention to re-sign Grienke. Kenny has wanted him for ages, him and Doc. I'm sure he has the consent of JR to attempt to resign him. The guy is young and has amazing stuff. If Ozzie was still the manager I don't think Grienke fits long term, but with the laid back baseball first clubhouse Robin has created Grienke will be a perfect fit. Any move made will be with an eye to the future as well as now.

I also don't think a Grienke trade and ultimate extension means the end of Jake either. Jake has gotten paid, he has said it before. He will take a discount to stay with his "boys" loves Chicago, him and Dunner are buds. He will give us a sweetheart deal in the offseason, watch.

Finally, if we get ZG all we have to do is win. We have a ton of home games in Aug and Sept and if Kenny pulls this fans will pack it in. If the team continues to win and sellout, make the playoffs and have a run in October, KW and JR will put that $ back into the club we have seen that. We are creating the right attitude and atmosphere as a Franchise people ate going to want to stick around. Win. That's it. Win.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
FWIW: KW has had an offer out there for a while now for Greinke. It's substantial and includes key mlb roster talent. Sox are very determined to land him.

Bucket, I know that you have inside info and I don't expect you to give up your sources. Do you have exact player names though? I know you won't tell us and you shouldn't but do you know the names or do you just know that it's significant? If so, what are your feelings? We have seen the names thrown around. Will White Sox fans be angry if the deal happens?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
Personally I think in any deal there will be a window to negotiate an extension, however I don't think it would hold up a deal on our end. KW is making this move (or any team for that matter) with every intention to re-sign Grienke. Kenny has wanted him for ages, him and Doc. I'm sure he has the consent of JR to attempt to resign him. The guy is young and has amazing stuff. If Ozzie was still the manager I don't think Grienke fits long term, but with the laid back baseball first clubhouse Robin has created Grienke will be a perfect fit. Any move made will be with an eye to the future as well as now.

I also don't think a Grienke trade and ultimate extension means the end of Jake either. Jake has gotten paid, he has said it before. He will take a discount to stay with his "boys" loves Chicago, him and Dunner are buds. He will give us a sweetheart deal in the offseason, watch.

Finally, if we get ZG all we have to do is win. We have a ton of home games in Aug and Sept and if Kenny pulls this fans will pack it in. If the team continues to win and sellout, make the playoffs and have a run in October, KW and JR will put that $ back into the club we have seen that. We are creating the right attitude and atmosphere as a Franchise people ate going to want to stick around. Win. That's it. Win.

How many guys take a discount anyway? It rarely happens. Peavy will stay if nobody else is willing to give him huge bucks. As far as Greinke, to me it just doesn't make sense to deal major league players or an important minor leaguer for a guy that probably won't sign with you in the offseason. Like Fathom said, all that for 10 starts?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
How many guys take a discount anyway? It rarely happens. Peavy will stay if nobody else is willing to give him huge bucks. As far as Greinke, to me it just doesn't make sense to deal major league players or an important minor leaguer for a guy that probably won't sign with you in the offseason. Like Fathom said, all that for 10 starts?

i agree with you, greg

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
K Rod, Hart and Grienke for Floyd, Jones, Santiago, and Viciedo

Throw in Beckham for Weeks and cash

That too much turnover

If Greinke walks then there's a great chance you've traded the best player in the deal in Viciedo. Too big of a risk to take since Viciedo is already here and producing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)

It happens a lot with the Sox. We have seen discounts given quite a bit. Our Organization takes care of players both during and after their career. And with the injury and other stuff with Peavy I think he is a kind of guy that wants to make up for that. Anyways here's some quotes from an article after the allstar game, from the sun times.

“I can tell you this: I love Chicago, I love what we have as far as a team, from [board chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], to [general manager] Kenny [Williams], to the staff they brought in, and I can tell you this, this is as good a staff as I’ve ever been a part of. I can tell you this, I can’t see any more of an appealing place to play than Chicago. My comfort level with them knowing my body, my routine that I have, a routine we’ve gotten down, we understand, what we need to do to keep healthy, stay strong, so I can tell you that. I want to be here, but we’ll let the chips fall when they may when that time comes.

“I do love Chicago, and when the time comes and we do have that conversation – if we ever have it – with Kenny and with the rest of the staff, I will let them know that I want to stay if I can stay. I would love to end my career right here [in Chicago]. We’ll see.’’

Here's the link pretty good read: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13704613-419/story.html

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
It happens a lot with the Sox. We have seen discounts given quite a bit. Our Organization takes care of players both during and after their career. And with the injury and other stuff with Peavy I think he is a kind of guy that wants to make up for that. Anyways here's some quotes from an article after the allstar game, from the sun times.

“I can tell you this: I love Chicago, I love what we have as far as a team, from [board chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf], to [general manager] Kenny [Williams], to the staff they brought in, and I can tell you this, this is as good a staff as I’ve ever been a part of. I can tell you this, I can’t see any more of an appealing place to play than Chicago. My comfort level with them knowing my body, my routine that I have, a routine we’ve gotten down, we understand, what we need to do to keep healthy, stay strong, so I can tell you that. I want to be here, but we’ll let the chips fall when they may when that time comes.

“I do love Chicago, and when the time comes and we do have that conversation – if we ever have it – with Kenny and with the rest of the staff, I will let them know that I want to stay if I can stay. I would love to end my career right here [in Chicago]. We’ll see.’’

Here's the link pretty good read: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13704613-419/story.html

Bringing him back without breaking the bank would be huge. We'll see if he puts his money where his mouth and I won't blame him if he doesn't. And as I said in another thread, we won't be crying poor in the offseason if we make some sort of playoff run.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)

He definitely can't field his position well yet...that's one of his weaknesses.

When he gets behind in the count, he doesn't have the kind of stuff to consistently get swings and misses. That said, he's usually ahead in the count...I do have some concern about how repeatable is his command/control this season, in terms of extrapolating into the future.

He's gotten beaten recently on balls that he couldn't get inside enough and that didn't have quite enough "ooomph" behind them.

But yeah, it would be hard to give up 5 years of a much cheaper Quintana for Greinke's 10-12 starts. I definitely wouldn't want to pay him $22.5-25 million per year for 5 years or whatever it ends up being.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Bucket, I know that you have inside info and I don't expect you to give up your sources. Do you have exact player names though? I know you won't tell us and you shouldn't but do you know the names or do you just know that it's significant? If so, what are your feelings? We have seen the names thrown around. Will White Sox fans be angry if the deal happens?

Don't have names. Posted exactly what I was told last night. My feelings are that because of a variety of factors (1st place/Tigers trade/attendance spike...etc) KW is really going after it this year and wants it done yesterday. I do think there are fans that will be upset about who goes. Some very real concerns throughout this thread.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
Don't have names. Posted exactly what I was told last night. My feelings are that because of a variety of factors (1st place/Tigers trade/attendance spike...etc) KW is really going after it this year and wants it done yesterday. I do think there are fans that will be upset about who goes. Some very real concerns throughout this thread.

Why don't the Sox try to get the starting pitcher the Marlins allegedly want to dump. Is it Johnson?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

Wow interesting!!