Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
Well, we all know how awesome Peavy is in postseason/tiebreak games. It's unlikely that the Sox would be in a position to shuffle their rotation around to line up the starter they want for that one game anyways.

I'm not sure I wouldn't rather reward Quintana. That guy has ice in his veins, nothing gets to him.

The only reason I said that about Peavy is because any thought of him coming back would be wiped out if we skipped over him for Greinke. Jake still thinks he's the Cy Young pitcher, not the current (very good) version of Jake Peavy.

And in no way do I think paying Jake Peavy anything above $15 million makes any sense.

And he's going to get better offers than $11 million and one year...figuring in the buyout cost.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
He also seems to be the best available starter that no one is talking about.

Yeah, he has really fallen off the radar since we kicked his ass Monday.

Maybe that is a good thing...

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Based on a whole 2 games?

3 games, 16 innings-19 earned runs

Not what you'd expect from a guy who was one of the best pitchers on the planet during that time period. Almost idential numbers in the postseason to that of Javy Vazquez.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
The only reason I said that about Peavy is because any thought of him coming back would be wiped out if we skipped over him for Greinke. Jake still thinks he's the Cy Young pitcher, not the current (very good) version of Jake Peavy.

And in no way do I think paying Jake Peavy anything above $15 million makes any sense.

And he's going to get better offers than $11 million and one year...figuring in the buyout cost.

I hope Sox let Peavy walk after this year, especially given the insane workload he's taking on this season. With Hamels signing the big extension, it increases Peavy's value this offseason even more.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
I hope Sox let Peavy walk after this year, especially given the insane workload he's taking on this season. With Hamels signing the big extension, it increases Peavy's value this offseason even more.

We were saying at the game yesterday...it's almost like you get the feeling the White Sox are trying to make up for lost time and get every last "drip" of pitching out of Peavy's right arm.

They're really really pushing him hard, and it didn't make any sense yesterday with the heat....with the big lead....with the back-end of the bullpen needing all the "on the job training" that they can possibly get so they're prepared to fight through the stretch run in the pennant race.

You don't get the feeling they're trying to conserve anything for next year. Maybe Jake's asking for that...to show every team out there how durable he is this season. No idea. But I wouldn't have pushed Sale and Peavy as much as Ventura has so far in 2012.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:57 PM)
I would seriously put Liriano in the bullpen and dump Matt Thornton.

Liriano throwing all-out for just an inning or two would be devastating. He can get K's, he has the two pitches that Matty doesn't.

Liriano in the bullpen in 2012

7 1/3 IP

7 H

4 R

4 ER

7 BB

9 K

5.07 ERA

Your hatred of Thornton makes you not see the truth. I'd take Liriano, I've seen enough of Humber, but you really undervalue Thornton. I think Hawk is the last Sox GM to make a trade with Minnesota, and it was extremely minor.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

7 1/3 IP

7 H

4 R

4 ER

7 BB

9 K

5.07 ERA

Your hatred of Thornton makes you not see the truth. I'd take Liriano, I've seen enough of Humber, but you really undervalue Thornton. I think Hawk is the last Sox GM to make a trade with Minnesota, and it was extremely minor.

Three factors:

1) In a real playoff race

2) Getting to work with Cooper and Nieves

3) Having two or three pitches

OTOH, I don't think Liriano would like it because it would diminish his FA value as a starter.

That said, I might ask him as a condition of the trade I was sticking him the pen but offer Gavin Floyd's deal ($9.5 million) for 2013.

We know what we're going to get out of Gavin. I'd love to see if we could catch lightning in a bottle with Liriano. Out of Liriano, Danks and Floyd, I'd be the least surprised if Liriano won 15-20 games for the White Sox in 2013.

I don't hate Thornton, I just hate how he's pitched since the 2010 All-Star game.

He hasn't been worth the money we've paid him. And he's been horrible in almost every save situation. Whatever you want to say about Escobar last Thursday, he gave up hits to Crawford and Gonzalez, the two LHB'ers he's paid to get out with a one run lead.

Edited by caulfield12

Last Sox-Twins trade was 9/3/86.

Next longest trade droughts are Detroit 1989 and Baltimore 2002.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

7 1/3 IP

7 H

4 R

4 ER

7 BB

9 K

5.07 ERA

Name any set-up guy in baseball making $5.5 million or more who has been less productive the last 24 months...

I don't think you can come up with more names than K-Rod.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Name any set-up guy in baseball making $5.5 million or more who has been less productive the last 24 months...

I don't think you can come up with more names than K-Rod.

Liriano-------------too easy.

Thornton after a horrid April last year finished with a 3.32 ERA and 63 k's in 60 IP.

This year he's at 3.70 with 37 k's in 41 innings. Not the Thornton of old but definitely productive and valuable.

Edited by Dick Allen

Here's a quote I just wanted to further point out the Sox are absolutely for real about ZG. Quote from ESPN Chicago article about how Peavy would welcome Grienke.

The Sox had one of their top talent evaluators, scout Bill Scherrer, watching Greinke defeat the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday night.

Link:http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8202045&city=chicago

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Here's a quote I just wanted to further point out the Sox are absolutely for real about ZG. Quote from ESPN Chicago article about how Peavy would welcome Grienke.

The Sox had one of their top talent evaluators, scout Bill Scherrer, watching Greinke defeat the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday night.

Link:http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8202045&city=chicago

Oh, they're real about it alright. All over him right now.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Oh, they're real about it alright. All over him right now.

You're scaring me man, you're making it sound like KW is ready to overpay in a big way. And not like "oh he's just throwing in an extra prospect" but "he's all in, putting in Viciedo, Floyd, and Reed." Please please don't be the case.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Liriano-------------too easy.

Thornton after a horrid April last year finished with a 3.32 ERA and 63 k's in 60 IP.

This year he's at 3.70 with 37 k's in 41 innings. Not the Thornton of old but definitely productive and valuable.

The difference is we would be using him as a spot starter and out of the pen for two months, then keeping him as a starter for 2013.

What's Thornton going to do to help our starting rotation in 2013? We already have Santiago, Septimo, Veal and Santos Rodriguez for that spot in the pen in future years, at less than 1/10th the cost.

We have no idea what's going to happen with Sale, Quintana or Peavy down the stretch.

Liriano would be the only thing standing between us and Axelrod/Castro starting must-win games down the stretch. I'll take the experienced vet in the heart of a pennant race (he's been there before) over anyone we can promote from our minor league system.

Maybe Ryan has a sense of humor and would rather see the Sox win the division than Tigers/Leyland/DD.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
You're scaring me man, you're making it sound like KW is ready to overpay in a big way. And not like "oh he's just throwing in an extra prospect" but "he's all in, putting in Viciedo, Floyd, and Reed." Please please don't be the case.

Which means Jordan Danks is our new LFer and Brett Myers is our closer in 2013 at $10 million, with his 91-92 MPH fastball.

Dumb.

Dumb.

Dumb.

Wasn't the point of trading Santos that we don't have to pay a closer more than minimum salary? And then we're going to pay Myers like he's one of the 3-5 best closers in baseball when clearly he's not elite??

It also means we wouldn't be able to keep AJ or Youkilis for sure.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Which means Jordan Danks is our new LFer and Brett Myers is our closer in 2013 at $10 million, with his 91-92 MPH fastball.

Dumb.

Dumb.

Dumb.

Wasn't the point of trading Santos that we don't have to pay a closer more than minimum salary? And then we're going to pay Myers like he's one of the 3-5 best closers in baseball when clearly he's not elite??

It also means we wouldn't be able to keep AJ or Youkilis for sure.

Guys relax, Kenny is not an idiot. He is not going go make a move that will significantly effect the team. Viciedo, Alexi, Reed, all are too important THIS year. They have valuable rolls they play. I'm pretty confident if this gets done we will be parting with Beckham+Floyd+ a spect or two for Grienke+ Weeks+ K-Rod IMO. That is a blockbuster and adds to the team significantly for THIS year. That's what I see happening if this happens.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Guys relax, Kenny is not an idiot. He is not going go make a move that will significantly effect the team. Viciedo, Alexi, Reed, all are too important THIS year. They have valuable rolls they play. I'm pretty confident if this gets done we will be parting with Beckham+Floyd+ a spect or two for Grienke+ Weeks+ K-Rod IMO. That is a blockbuster and adds to the team significantly for THIS year. That's what I see happening if this happens.

They have zero need for K-Rod with Myers and Crain and Jones. He's superfluous.