Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
yes, let's overpay for a 2 month rental!

if we trade Floyd for Greinke, and don't bring back Peavy next year the Sox might be able to afford to extend him right?

You seriously want to pay Greinke $23 million per season for 5 years?

Why?

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
Guys relax, Kenny is not an idiot. He is not going go make a move that will significantly effect the team. Viciedo, Alexi, Reed, all are too important THIS year. They have valuable rolls they play. I'm pretty confident if this gets done we will be parting with Beckham+Floyd+ a spect or two for Grienke+ Weeks+ K-Rod IMO. That is a blockbuster and adds to the team significantly for THIS year. That's what I see happening if this happens.

That seems like robbery on the Sox's part. I agree that if this deal goes down, it's Floyd + a prospect for Grienke...at a minimum. I am afraid that the Sox may overpay. If there aren't talks right away of extending him (Grienke), the Sox may/will way overpay for a 2 month rental.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Not if jones is included.

Why would JR want to take on K-Rod's salary when odds are Nate Jones might actually be better down the stretch at the league minimum?

And Jones could be a part of the future and grow up with the rest of the bullpen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
You seriously want to pay Greinke $23 million per season for 5 years?

Why?

I just don't see the Sox EVER paying that much for a pitcher. I'd rather see a deal for someone else (Johnson, Buehrle, etc.).

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
That seems like robbery on the Sox's part. I agree that if this deal goes down, it's Floyd + a prospect for Grienke...at a minimum. I am afraid that the Sox may overpay. If there aren't talks right away of extending him (Grienke), the Sox may/will way overpay for a 2 month rental.

If the Sox trade Floyd for Greinke, even if Greinke walks, that should be an upgrade this season, even if its only one or two extra wins, they probably are needed, and it frees up almost $10 million for next year for some kind of replacement. That part of the trade makes a lot of sense. Its what else that is the concern, because there has to be something else.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
You're scaring me man, you're making it sound like KW is ready to overpay in a big way. And not like "oh he's just throwing in an extra prospect" but "he's all in, putting in Viciedo, Floyd, and Reed." Please please don't be the case.

I don't think it's going to be that much of an offer. I really can't say though. I just know he's the center of their radar this week.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Why would JR want to take on K-Rod's salary when odds are Nate Jones might actually be better down the stretch at the league minimum?

And Jones could be a part of the future and grow up with the rest of the bullpen.

because if we take on k-rods salary it could help to lower the price for ZG. And JR may be thinking with a pick up of ZG it will spike attendance even more to help offset the k-rod salary

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

Don't know man, I was just saying it makes sense of the brewers are trying to move money. It's just one mans opinion on what the trade might include. I might be well off. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
I just don't see the Sox EVER paying that much for a pitcher. I'd rather see a deal for someone else (Johnson, Buehrle, etc.).

We're not going to be capable of giving the Marlins the type of package they want for Johnson without impacting the ML roster, so someone like Shields or Liriano might make more sense.

Don't see the Marlins being willing to eat any money on Buehrle's deal until 2013 at the earliest.

Maybe Loria will change his mind this last week.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I don't think it's going to be that much of an offer. I really can't say though. I just know he's the center of their radar this week.

anyother word on who else KW is looking at. i believe you said something about Josh Johnson last week as well as a possibility

I keep seeing people saying Floyd is the trade chip, but I can't help thinking its Quintana.

Q has been great for us this year, but if you were the Brewers which would make more sense to you. A guy getting paid $9m with one year left before free agency... Or a 23 year old (lefty) at league minimum they could control for the next 5 years.

And for us... Q is in the same dangerous territory that Sale is reaching innings wise. One of the main reasons for us to get another starter is to cover innings Sale and Q may not be able to pitch. What good would it do us down the stretch if we give up a 200+ inning guy like Floyd and then still be forced to dip into the minors to get coverage for Sale/Q when they max out?

My guess... Quintana and Beckham are being offered along with one or more minor leaguers.

Beckham fills the Brewers hole at SS. Q gives them a young starter who has shown (this year at least) that he can get major league hitters out... which in many ways trumps what other teams may offer in an unproven pitching prospect.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
because if we take on k-rods salary it could help to lower the price for ZG. And JR may be thinking with a pick up of ZG it will spike attendance even more to help offset the k-rod salary

Those were my thoughts exactly. Yea Jones is cheaper but K Rod might be someone that is included. And truthfully is not a horrible option down the stretch over an unproven rookie.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
If the Sox trade Floyd for Greinke, even if Greinke walks, that should be an upgrade this season, even if its only one or two extra wins, they probably are needed, and it frees up almost $10 million for next year for some kind of replacement. That part of the trade makes a lot of sense. Its what else that is the concern, because there has to be something else.

Oh, yeah, a Floyd for Grienke deal is good for the Sox, rental or not. But you're right, there has to be something else involved.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)

Any other starting pitching avenues getting serious consideration right now, or is Zack it?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Those were my thoughts exactly. Yea Jones is cheaper but K Rod might be someone that is included. And truthfully is not a horrible option down the stretch over an unproven rookie.

KRod has been terrible this season. Give me Q and Reed/Jones over Greinke and KRod

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
I keep seeing people saying Floyd is the trade chip, but I can't help thinking its Quintana.

Q has been great for us this year, but if you were the Brewers which would make more sense to you. A guy getting paid $9m with one year left before free agency... Or a 23 year old (lefty) at league minimum they could control for the next 5 years.

And for us... Q is in the same dangerous territory that Sale is reaching innings wise. One of the main reasons for us to get another starter is to cover innings Sale and Q may not be able to pitch. What good would it do us down the stretch if we give up a 200+ inning guy like Floyd and then still be forced to dip into the minors to get coverage for Sale/Q when they max out?

My guess... Quintana and Beckham are being offered along with one or more minor leaguers.

I think KW wants to hold onto Quintana, he's a pleasant question mark. I think we know what we get out of Floyd. It also makes sense the Brewers would want Floyd over Quintana cause Floyd is atleast proven. Q is largely still an unknown. And IMO if the Brewers wanted to take a flyer on a potentially good prospect they will make a trade with a different team who can offer a better spect.

I think the fact we are offering ML proven and ready players in return is what makes us attractive to Melvin.

This is pretty logical, but all the Sox are gaining is the upgrade to Greinke which, with his concerns, may not be an upgrade, plus you lose Beckham's defense and please don't any mention Escobar, although I'm sure Hudson would become the second baseman.

In my opinion, that would be overpaying. I'm sure the Brewers would love Qunitana, but he could be great for the Sox for quite a while and not cost much. Beckham, I'm ready to say he can go. Floyd and Beckham for Grienke and one more? Maybe.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Any other starting pitching avenues getting serious consideration right now, or is Zack it?

No idea. Johnson would have been my move, but when the Sox approached last week Hill wasn't moving him. Now his market is crazy. Credit to Kenny -he was out in front of the market on both guys but the teams were still holding.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
Bucket, you have heard the debates. If you were to "guess" what would a trade look like in your opinion?

Honestly man, I can't say. I just get generalities no specifics.

Guessing: Reed, Quintana & Saladino/Escobar - Greinke, cash?