Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
I think KW wants to hold onto Quintana, he's a pleasant question mark. I think we know what we get out of Floyd. It also makes sense the Brewers would want Floyd over Quintana cause Floyd is atleast proven. Q is largely still an unknown. And IMO if the Brewers wanted to take a flyer on a potentially good prospect they will make a trade with a different team who can offer a better spect.

I think the fact we are offering ML proven and ready players in return is what makes us attractive to Melvin.

But the Brewers paying Floyd $9.5 million to rent for just one year versus about that same amount for Quintana for five years...the Brewers would definitely go for Quintana.

They're not going to be in a position to compete next season in all likelihood losing Greinke....they need to look forward to 2014-15-16.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
Honestly man, I can't say. I just get generalities no specifics.

Guessing: Reed, Quintana & Saladino/Escobar - Greinke, cash?

Escobar is of zero interest to another team....or about the same as Brent Lillibridge was to the Red Sox.

Saladino makes a lot more sense as the 3rd piece.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm not 100% sure KW would let it pass him by. It's the kind of trade that wouldn't kill the Sox, as they have Myers to replace Reed for the rest of the year, but I don't enjoy the idea of being locked into Myers as a $10 million closer next year.

I would rather have Myers as a starter in 2013 (at $10 million). Same thing with Liriano....reliever/spot starter in 2012, full-time starter in 2013.

That and the fact that you know Greinke will be gone.

Edited by caulfield12

Floyd for ZG straight up - love it.

Floyd plus a non-Reed young reliever, like maybe Jones - like it.

Floyd plus almost any current position player prospect in the Sox minors - probably like it (remember, 2012 picks can't be traded yet).

Quintana for ZG straight up, or maybe with some money back - not sure, on the fence.

Floyd plus Reed, or Floyd plus Viciedo: don't like it.

Quintana plus anything else of value, don't like it.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Here's how I would do the deal

Greinke to the Sox for Santiago, Castro, Rienzo and Petricka

That guts the Sox already-not-that-deep minor league pitching ranks, especially for 2013. Santiago and Castro are in line for possible starting in 2013, maybe even Rienzo. Petricka is fine, don't care there.

If you can remove one of the first three in your list, it might be worth considering.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Tom ‏@Haudricourt

Four teams that have shown most interest in #Brewers Zack Greinke: Rangers, Angels, Braves, White Sox. I'd handicap them in that order.

Welcome to the White Sox, Joe Blanton!

That guts the Sox already-not-that-deep minor league pitching ranks, especially for 2013. Santiago and Castro are in line for possible starting in 2013, maybe even Rienzo. Petricka is fine, don't care there.

If you can remove one of the first three in your list, it might be worth considering.

I'd trade Floyd in the off season for pitching prospects. I want him & Q on our playoff roster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
I'd actually say they would, they are trying to load on pitching talent for the future, not necessarily for today. But it really hurts the Sox.

There isn't even a potential #2 starter in the bunch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
I'd actually say they would, they are trying to load on pitching talent for the future, not necessarily for today. But it really hurts the Sox.

Milwaukee would laugh their asses off at that package.

And the KW would do that in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Milwaukee would laugh their asses off at that package.

And the KW would do that in a heartbeat.

For my money, a package of Santiago, Castro, Rienzo and Petricka is more valuable than, say, Floyd and Jones. Or Floyd and Mitchell. Especially for a team like Milwaukee looking at future years, not this year.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
I'm pretty sure ViciedO is going NO WHERE. He is producing and in my opinion untouchable. I also don't see Reed being moved.

Viciedo can frustrate the hell out of me, but when he starts raking you think he might be a superstar hitter someday. Maybe KW is frustrated by his approach and thinks he'll never make it big. I'd be scared to deal him for a rental, though.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
a starting position player(viciedo,deaza,etc)under control for multiple years, at not a high salary is not worth giving up for a rental pitcher. no way. especially becuase greinke is not an ace(like verlander,weaver,cain,etc) hes really good but probably not even great

Very true.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
If I am Kenny, I'd give Minnesota a call about Liriano. It can't hurt.

I'd go for that.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
so we would have(at some point) 4 lefties in the rotation..is that good or bad?

That's bad.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
I just don't see the Sox EVER paying that much for a pitcher. I'd rather see a deal for someone else (Johnson, Buehrle, etc.).

I want Johnson. Buehrle would be an awesome feel/good move as well.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:26 PM)
Honestly man, I can't say. I just get generalities no specifics.

Guessing: Reed, Quintana & Saladino/Escobar - Greinke, cash?

I don't know what benefit you get in giving up a guy who looks like he knows how to pitch (Q) for Greinke's 10 starts. I guess once again the Sox are trying to position themselves for a deep playoff run with Greinke, Sale, Peavy, Danks or Floyd being our postseason starters. Sox may feel it's worth the gamble. We could win a WS with that staff, however, the trick is getting there. Detroit after making that trade figures to run away and hide, which leaves us the Wild Card race and one game playoff if we make it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Viciedo can frustrate the hell out of me, but when he starts raking you think he might be a superstar hitter someday. Maybe KW is frustrated by his approach and thinks he'll never make it big. I'd be scared to deal him for a rental, though.

Very true.

I'd go for that.

That's bad.

I want Johnson. Buehrle would be an awesome feel/good move as well.

I don't know what benefit you get in giving up a guy who looks like he knows how to pitch (Q) for Greinke's 10 starts. I guess once again the Sox are trying to position themselves for a deep playoff run with Greinke, Sale, Peavy, Danks or Floyd being our postseason starters. Sox may feel it's worth the game. We could win a WS with that staff, however, the trick is getting there. Detroit after making that trade figures to run away and hide, which leaves us the Wild Card race and one game playoff if we make it.

You must be so happy I taught you to reply in between the quotes in multi-quote posts