What will Kenny do ?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
I sure hope so. If anything maybe they can restructure his deal. I also want them to bring back A.J. I am not worried so much about Peavy, Floyd or even Liriano. I know KW has a knack of bringing in quality pitching.

Expecting him to stay healthy at that price for a full season at 3b is a huge, huge gamble. I don't know that I'd take it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I have a sneaky suspicion that Liriano somehow ends up back here again next year.

We'll see.

I'm sure someone checked this when we traded him...would we be likely to get draft pick compensation if Liriano walked?

He pretty much could steal somebody from the cuBS right now. They are desperate to sell and KW doesn't have to buy right now but could.

How about Matt Garza if KW felt confident that he could back soon and his injury isn't serious? Definitely would be buying low on him. A Reed Johnson? A Marmol if Coop felt like he could fix him?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
I have a sneaking suspicion that Liriano somehow ends up back here again next year.

We'll see.

He probably has a better chance than Peavy and Floyd since he would be one of those "project" type of pitchers that Coop loves to take a chance on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm sure someone checked this when we traded him...would we be likely to get draft pick compensation if Liriano walked?

No. New rules. You have to be with a team for a year to get comp, and you have to offer them some sort of qualifying offer which is I believe $12.5 million. So the Twins would have received nothing for Liriano had they kept him.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
He pretty much could steal somebody from the cuBS right now. They are desperate to sell and KW doesn't have to buy right now but could.

How about Matt Garza if KW felt confident that he could back soon and his injury isn't serious? Definitely would be buying low on him. A Reed Johnson? A Marmol if Coop felt like he could fix him?

That's just not true. The only one they are desperate to trade is Dempster because they could actually get something for him, but the time is running short. They can wait until the winter to get rid of Garza, and Reed Johnson isn't going to net them anything of significance.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)

They've been inquiring about Garza, Theo probably wants more than a utility infielder and a back of the rotation starter for him which is why we got Liriano

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
They've been inquiring about Garza, Theo probably wants more than a utility infielder and a back of the rotation starter for him which is why we got Liriano

Any other information to share? Can you fill in the gaps on Lawrence Holmes inside report? Ha Ha!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
I think KW is looking for a reliever and back up infielder. Its fun to speculate on huge pieces and if the deal was right, I'm sure he'd pull the trigger, but I'm thinking small pieces is what he's trying to accomplish. I think Lee is owed about $80 million the next 3 years. I think there's a better chance KW brings back Ozzie than Cliff Lee.

Maybe Darren Oliver . Omar Vizquel makes a lot of sense as a throw in.

Agree on Lee...it's Halladay I'm wondering about. He's owed $20M for next year but I don't see the vesting option kicking in for 2014 due to his low innings this year

2014 option guaranteed with all of the following:

225 IP in 2013,

415 IP in 2012-13, and

Halladay is not on disabled list at end of 2013 season

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
That's just not true. The only one they are desperate to trade is Dempster because they could actually get something for him, but the time is running short. They can wait until the winter to get rid of Garza, and Reed Johnson isn't going to net them anything of significance.

I don't know. What do they gain by waiting? And these guys who have no future with the cuBS deserve a chance to be with a contending team. Also there is no reason why the White Sox and the Northsliders cannot be trade partners. Different divisions, different leagues.

As for Dempster, he controls whether he gets traded. He can NO, NO, NO until the deadline ends. Thus, his trade value is going down as teams don't want to wait. Guess what? Pretty soon their won't be any suitors for Dempster unless KW gets involved. That way Dempster doesn't have to move away from Dempster Street.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
I have a sneaking suspicion that Liriano somehow ends up back here again next year.

We'll see.

I do too. I'm going from memory but didn't KW sign Freddy Garcia to an extension shortly after trading for him? He may do the same with Liriano, especially if Floyd gets moved.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
I think it's a utility player or nothing. He's already added 3 players and bolstered the club, now it's just adding maybe one guy off the bench.

Yet we've traded very little of value. Depending on the PTBNL in the Myers trade, we have traded none of our top 10 prospects (my own list). Therefore, we still have plenty of chips to make additional moves.

IMO, KW is looking at a backup infielder and LH reliever. However, I'm sure he's asking about other impact players in case the price is right.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
I do too. I'm going from memory but didn't KW sign Freddy Garcia to an extension shortly after trading for him? He may do the same with Liriano, especially if Floyd gets moved.

Be honest...does anyone really want Liriano signed to a multi year deal? I'd gamble on him for next year if the price was in the 7 figure range, but would anyone commit 3/$30 to a guy who has had an ERA above 5 three of the last 4 years?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Be honest...does anyone really want Liriano signed to a multi year deal? I'd gamble on him for next year if the price was in the 7 figure range, but would anyone commit 3/$30 to a guy who has had an ERA above 5 three of the last 4 years?

Maybe. Have to see what he does now with the White Sox and Cooper. This guy has talent. Still striking out over a batter an inning. I heard that is BABIP is high and his gets hitters to hit a nice amount of ground balls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)

I guess it depends on how he pitches for the Sox. I wouldn't sign him from the get go but what if he's lights out for 3-4 consecutive starts and Coop does work well with him? I wouldn't have a problem with it.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Maybe. Have to see what he does now with the White Sox and Cooper. This guy has talent. Still striking out over a batter an inning. I heard that is BABIP is high and his gets hitters to hit a nice amount of ground balls.

His BaBIP is .298 on the year, lower than his .309 career mark.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
His BaBIP is .298 on the year, lower than his .309 career mark.

OK, thanks I didn't have that info. Heard one guy on the radio say that it was high. Apparently he was wrong.

I do know that if Man Francisco reduces his walks that would help a lot.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:25 AM)
Heyman was on Mulley and Hanely this am, and reiterated the fact KW is looking to try and find someone to trade for Gavin Floyd, and also reiterated KW is still one of the most active GMs out there. He said we are in on League, guess we will have to sit tight for another day or so. I think Kenny is still out there looking for a jaw dropper, just my opinion. I just get that feeling KW wanted the rush after a blockbuster like Grienke and he is like a gambler on a run, he wants that rush again. Not saying it will happen, I just think he has another impact move left before tomorrow at 3PM. Once we get closer to that 3 PM deadline the more you see GMs flinch and I think that's when Kenny is at his best.

Kenny could be on of those as well.

I really don't get the idea of trading Floyd. Of all of the starters he has the least ?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
OK, thanks I didn't have that info. Heard one guy on the radio say that it was high. Apparently he was wrong.

I do know that if Man Francisco reduces his walks that would help a lot.

Cooper got Contreras to repeat his delivery. If Liriano is willing to listen, it shouldn't be a big problem.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:27 PM)
Kenny could be on of those as well.

I really don't get the idea of trading Floyd. Of all of the starters he has the least ?

the only reason you trade floyd is if it's to get some prospects you can subsquently flip for another starter.

this team needs six starting pitchers for the rest of the year. it is essential, imo.