What will Kenny do ?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very quiet on the trade front today. I wonder how busy tomorrow will be...for the Sox and all of baseball. I'd be surprised if the Sox made a big deal, but with KW you never know. I think they need some infield depth and maybe a bullpen arm. My prediction is a minor move for a utility IF guy.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
the only reason you trade floyd is if it's to get some prospects you can subsquently flip for another starter.

this team needs six starting pitchers for the rest of the year. it is essential, imo.

That supports why you don't trade him.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
That supports why you don't trade him.

right. as i said, the only way you would do it is if it somehow it allowed you to acquire another starter. one of the rumors prior to greinke signing with the angels was that floyd would be dealt for a package of prospects that could be paired with existing talent and allow kw to get a top-flight starting pitcher.

Not to sound like Harrelson, but the White Sox have a much better defense than the Twins, especially the middle infield.

That's going to help Liriano quite a bit.

I would offer Liriano $15-17 million for two years, backloaded a bit.

Keep AJ and Youk.

Shed Peavy and Thornton (just to annoy Dick Allen). Give Jesse Crain some type of trophy for getting out of 1st and 3rd, no outs, the other day. Something Matt Thornton hasn't done since 2010.

Wait and see how Floyd finishes the season. That one could go either way. I don't think he's a $9.5 million pitcher, but we've paid that to Javy, Contreras (extension, after he was no longer dominant), Garcia and Garland, and Gavin fits in with that grouping, all things considered.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
Wait and see how Floyd finishes the season. That one could go either way. I don't think he's a $9.5 million pitcher, but we've paid that to Javy, Contreras (extension, after he was no longer dominant), Garcia and Garland, and Gavin fits in with that grouping, all things considered.

The guys the Sox have in the rotation next year without signing Liriano are:

Danks

Floyd

Humber

Sale

Quintana

If Danks won't be ready for opening day then yes, we need another pitcher. If Liriano is signed and Danks is back, yes you have room to move Floyd. And Castro, Santiago, and Axelrod are all available as options who might force their way into the rotation as well.

What's the latest on Molina?

Any chance he's in the AFL or winter ball (hopefully KW will be paying more attention to his whereabouts this around) in Venezuela?

Rienzo might have an outside shot, too.

Petricka had been on something of a fast track but now he's been passed by the likes of Johnson and Snodgress, maybe even Vance...seemingly.

KW will make an explosive trade at the end. It is kinda like a fireworks display. They put up some of the nice ones on the board to get it started. Finally at the end they just throw up everything else they have left. It will be like that.

By the way, did St. Louie give KW a playoff share last season. Of course, Kenny was part of the biggest trade last season at the deadline. How the heck did he get rid of Teahen and his contract? That was amazing. And also helped St.L get a starter and get rid Colby who wasn't fitting in.

We are reaping the benefits of this trade still. We traded Teahen, Jackson, Lillibridge for Youk, ca$h and saved ca$h.That 2011 deadline trade benefited the Cards last year and so far the White Sox for this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
The guys the Sox have in the rotation next year without signing Liriano are:

Danks

Floyd

Humber

Sale

Quintana

If Danks won't be ready for opening day then yes, we need another pitcher. If Liriano is signed and Danks is back, yes you have room to move Floyd. And Castro, Santiago, and Axelrod are all available as options who might force their way into the rotation as well.

If we could get Liriano on a two year deal at about the money that Floyd is making, I'd sign him and see what the market is for Floyd and Humber.

It's been an awfully quiet day for Whitesox rumors, which usually means KW is fast at work. Here's hoping when we wake up tomorrow we have a few moves in store for us and a flurry of action around of the rest of baseball. I just want something on deadline day, took the day off to watch MLB Network special.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:56 PM)
It's been an awfully quiet day for Whitesox rumors, which usually means KW is fast at work. Here's hoping when we wake up tomorrow we have a few moves in store for us and a flurry of action around of the rest of baseball. I just want something on deadline day, took the day off to watch MLB Network special.

BOSS STATUS

Hoping for a flurry of activity tomorrow. I imagine Kenny will be on the phone all day, but it remains to be seen if he can get anything done.

Barring some blockbuster I imagine any upgrades will be to the bench or bullpen. As much as they need a second base upgrade, I doubt there is anyone available that the Sox could get.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 02:12 AM)
Hoping for a flurry of activity tomorrow. I imagine Kenny will be on the phone all day, but it remains to be seen if he can get anything done.

Barring some blockbuster I imagine any upgrades will be to the bench or bullpen. As much as they need a second base upgrade, I doubt there is anyone available that the Sox could get.

Alex Gonzalez would be a good pickup from Milwaukee.

Justin Turner from the Mets is promising.

Mike Fontenot with Philly.

Yuniesky Betancourt from KC is a decent option.

Stephen Drew ARZ is good if healthy.

Jamey Carroll from MIN can still play.

They mostly need SS as Hudson can cover 2B and some 3B until Morel comes back.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
With Soto traded to Texas, I wonder if KW has been looking at Yorvit Torrealba as a slight upgrade to Flowers. I don't know the reasons behind why Texas decided to get rid of him, but he's at least hitting over the Mendoza line.

Isn't he the guy that Pierzynski didn't get along with in San Francisco, or am I confusing him with someone else?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
What's the latest on Molina?

Any chance he's in the AFL or winter ball (hopefully KW will be paying more attention to his whereabouts this around) in Venezuela?

Rienzo might have an outside shot, too.

Petricka had been on something of a fast track but now he's been passed by the likes of Johnson and Snodgress, maybe even Vance...seemingly.

Whether they send Molina to winter ball probably depends a lot on innings. He's thrown 93 innings so far this year with a month to go. His tops was 130 last year. If they think one of the reasons he struggled this year is that his arm isn't built up yet, they'll hold him back from winterball. If they think that he needs the innings, they'll send him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:26 PM)
If we could get Liriano on a two year deal at about the money that Floyd is making, I'd sign him and see what the market is for Floyd and Humber.

I would probably do that for 2/$18, but I figure it has to take more than that to sign him, especially if he performs well enough that we'd want him back.

I can't imagine there being a big market for Humber.