The latest Franchise episode

Frank_Thomas

If you watched the episode last night, Heath Bell doesn't exactly care for the way management has handled him this year.

Yeah, feel bad for the guy for getting traded there. It's not like he was a FA and chose to go to that mess.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
My DVR cut off before the last few minutes, but I was expecting a lot worse after reading this thread. It was nothing terrible that the Guillen's said. If anything, it was annoying that 80% of the show focused on Ozzie and his family instead of focusing on the players (which is always the best part of these shows).

What was funny was Ozzie said baseball had nothing to do with money, only family. Didn't he go off several months ago how winning a WS doesn't pay for his plane ticket to go watch bullfighting? That baseball was all about money.

The one scene where Samson was telling Ozzie he was going on vacation and Ozzie had some comment I think was made about helping him go to the bathroom but I wasn't sure. The look Samson had on his face after Ozzie popped off was not one of amusement. He was seriously annoyed at Ozzie's response. I think Samson is a weasel, but I don't think Ozzie is going to last in Miami. Maybe he moves to the Royals and they will start playing like they did when they had George Brett.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
If you watched the episode last night, Heath Bell doesn't exactly care for the way management has handled him this year.

I feel so bad that they expect him to close games. Such a weird expectation for him

What's funny is the Guillens always talk about the wins with the Sox. How he alone made them relavent. Now on twitter if any Sox fan digs at Oney comparing Sox/Marlins records, Oney's response is always the Sox won't win the WS and that's the only thing that matters. So according to his standard, Ozzie has really only had 1 successful year in his career. Every other season sucked.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
I feel so bad that they expect him to close games. Such a weird expectation for him

Oh I completely agree that Bell has no business still being their closer. However, the "amazing conversation" him and Ozzie had from the first episode didn't seem to help their relationship much.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:35 AM)
Like or hate Ozzie, this is a special clip.

Manager talking to prima donna closer; i love the part when he tells Bell that nobody wants him on the mound, not the owner, not his wife, nobody except Ozzie. Cool stuff to get to see on TV.

That, in a nutshell, is the problem with Ozzie. Everyone else wants a closer that can actually close. Yet he stubbornly refuses to change.

Now the team in second-to-last place and are getting rid of their best players largely because of it.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
That, in a nutshell, is the problem with Ozzie. Everyone else wants a closer that can actually close. Yet he stubbornly refuses to change.

Now the team in second-to-last place and are getting rid of their best players largely because of it.

If I was a baseball manager I'd fail just like Ozzie, cause I'd go with the guy (for a long long time) that the GM and owner acquired for me in the offseason. I mean ultimately I think what Ozzie told Bell in that meeting is true: "We are not gonna win without you as closer." I find it pretty wild that the owner and GM wanted Bell demoted since they and their scouts wanted Bell in the first place. But I'd stick with the hi paid acquisition a long time and deal with the fallout in the offseason if the rotten closer didn't get me fired first.

Somebody mentioned Ozzie to the Royals. That actually is just what KC needs. KC has a pathetic team and starting today (Chiefs training camp) will not again draw more than 20,000 for a game. KC could use a loudmouth like Ozzie to steal the headlines for a while. KC can't win anyway; might as well have the sideshow. KC is too cheap to pay for a name manager, however. Oh well, forgive my ramblings.

GO SOX.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
If I was a baseball manager I'd fail just like Ozzie, cause I'd go with the guy (for a long long time) that the GM and owner acquired for me in the offseason. I mean ultimately I think what Ozzie told Bell in that meeting is true: "We are not gonna win without you as closer." I find it pretty wild that the owner and GM wanted Bell demoted since they and their scouts wanted Bell in the first place. But I'd stick with the hi paid acquisition a long time and deal with the fallout in the offseason if the rotten closer didn't get me fired first.

Somebody mentioned Ozzie to the Royals. That actually is just what KC needs. KC has a pathetic team and starting today (Chiefs training camp) will not again draw more than 20,000 for a game. KC could use a loudmouth like Ozzie to steal the headlines for a while. KC can't win anyway; might as well have the sideshow. KC is too cheap to pay for a name manager, however. Oh well, forgive my ramblings.

GO SOX.

Why can't people admit mistakes and make necessary changes, in your mind?

GO SOX.

That's not necessarily true. He removed Thornton from the closer's position in May last year for Santos, and Matt was being paid something like $5.5 million.

Maybe it wasn't a FA deal or $27 million (like Heath Bell)...but he removed Takatsu as well, in early 2005.

Guess Shingo also didn't have such a big contract, compared to Bell or Jenks his last couple of seasons in Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
That's not necessarily true. He removed Thornton from the closer's position in May last year for Santos, and Matt was being paid something like $5.5 million.

Maybe it wasn't a FA deal or $27 million (like Heath Bell)...but he removed Takatsu as well, in early 2005.

Guess Shingo also didn't have such a big contract, compared to Bell or Jenks his last couple of seasons in Chicago.

And in 2005 when he removed Shingo, Ozzie was doing a good job as a manager. I don't really count Thornton since he was never an established closer and regularly his success came as a setup man.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)

I know you like to equate Thornton's performance with his paycheck, so you might as well know that he actually made $3 million last year, a little over half of what you think he did.

That's one of the big reasons most people are glad Ozzie is gone. We'd much rather have a manager that plays the guys that give him the best chance to win. Not just blindly go with the guy that has highest salary while continually losing game after game.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
That's one of the big reasons most people are glad Ozzie is gone. We'd much rather have a manager that plays the guys that give him the best chance to win. Not just blindly go with the guy that has highest salary while continually losing game after game.

I tend to find that the norm in professional sports. Money guys tend to play more.

I usually stay away from most reality shows because they are staged and it was obvious watching this clip. Much of the pace an understanding of the conversations is lost when they bleep out Ozzie's profanity. Less profanity.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
I tend to find that the norm in professional sports. Money guys tend to play more.

I usually stay away from most reality shows because they are staged and it was obvious watching this clip. Much of the pace an understanding of the conversations is lost when they bleep out Ozzie's profanity. Less profanity.

The Franchise might be the least staged reality show out there

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
I know you like to equate Thornton's performance with his paycheck, so you might as well know that he actually made $3 million last year, a little over half of what you think he did.

• 12:$5.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$6M club option ($1M buyout)

The extension was signed at the time with the understanding he was going to be the closer for the length of his contract.

$12 million dollars is QUITE a bit to pay a set-up guy for 2 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
  • 12:$5.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$6M club option ($1M buyout)

The extension was signed at the time with the understanding he was going to be the closer for the length of his contract.

$12 million dollars is QUITE a bit to pay a set-up guy for 2 years.

• You said he was making $5.5 million in 2011, which was wrong. There was no understanding he was going to be the closer for the length of the contract. That's total BS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6187203

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
    and professional wrestling is real

Why do you guys think the show is staged? Yes, the participants know they are on camera. Yes that may change their behavior a bit, but as far as a script? It doesn't seem like that is happening. Episode One was available on youtube. I watched most of it last night.