I Believe in Beckham

Quin

Man, with all the Gordon talk lately, I feel like I'm gonna stand up for Gordon.

When Bacon Slayer first came up, we got this:

gordon-beckham.jpg

Great plate presence, drove the ball. Jeter thought he'd be the next big thing. Stone said he'd have a couple MVPs.

He would only be "ok" defensively.

Well, now he's elite defensively. The offense disappeared.

But it was there and it shows flashes of returning. Kid is 25. He can turn it around.

Crede wasn't a useful hitter until 2005, when he was 27. In his last year of arbitration.

And we got two more years of Gordon cheaply, so there's time to turn it around. We don't need big offense from our #9 hitter, but his elite defense makes him useful. Rios has regained his All-Star form, so I believe Gordon can turn it around and become the Bacon Slayer once more.

/optimism post.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2657989:date=Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:02 PM:name=The Ginger Kid)-->
QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
<!--quotec-->Dueling Gordon threads.

guitar-hero-dueling-banjos.jpg

Awesome!

Hey, I want to believe in Gordon, does that count? His mechanics looked so different when he first came up. Can I still blame Walker? One positive is that he's "growing up" around some quality veterans who've taken their lumps in the league.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Man, with all the Gordon talk lately, I feel like I'm gonna stand up for Gordon.

When Bacon Slayer first came up, we got this:

gordon-beckham.jpg

Great plate presence, drove the ball. Jeter thought he'd be the next big thing. Stone said he'd have a couple MVPs.

He would only be "ok" defensively.

Well, now he's elite defensively. The offense disappeared.

But it was there and it shows flashes of returning. Kid is 25. He can turn it around.

Crede wasn't a useful hitter until 2005, when he was 27. In his last year of arbitration.

And we got two more years of Gordon cheaply, so there's time to turn it around. We don't need big offense from our #9 hitter, but his elite defense makes him useful. Rios has regained his All-Star form, so I believe Gordon can turn it around and become the Bacon Slayer once more.

/optimism post.

Apparently you don't consider a 741 and 714 OPS level of offense "useful."

19/75 and 21/69 HR's and RBI's in 2003 and 2004.

We would die to get those numbers out of Beckham at this point.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
s***, I'm as cynical as they come. But if brother quinarvy has faith, I shall have faith. Alex Gordon is doing pretty good for himself lately.

He was also the consensus #1 collegiate player of the year.

Beckham wasn't quite at that level, that anyone considered him for the top pick in the first round.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
He was also the consensus #1 collegiate player of the year.

Beckham wasn't quite at that level, that anyone considered him for the top pick in the first round.

True. But everyone thought Alex was done. He finally broke out at age, what, 27? At least there's a recent example of a hyped played who turned it around later than expected.

Beckham has been my favorite player since he came up, he just carries a lot of swagger in his game and whoever said he is an awful baserunner is well... we'll just say misinformed. Just because he doesn't swipe bags doesn't mean he isn't one of the smartest players on the paths lol. He just got rushed honestly, and I don't know if the bat will ever come around again.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
Beckham has been my favorite player since he came up, he just carries a lot of swagger in his game and whoever said he is an awful baserunner is well... we'll just say misinformed. Just because he doesn't swipe bags doesn't mean he isn't one of the smartest players on the paths lol. He just got rushed honestly, and I don't know if the bat will ever come around again.

Seriously? He makes Lillibridge look like a good baserunner. I don't care how much swagger a guy has if he can't get the ball out of the IF. Admittedly, I'm biased. I've met him and let's just say I don't really jive with the backwards hat, Affliction shirt wearing crew.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
Remember when we had the CF version of Beckham and everyone hated him? Isn't he pitching in the International League now? There's still hope.

Oh Brian Anderson.. I miss his dreamy golden locks :(

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Seriously? He makes Lillibridge look like a good baserunner. I don't care how much swagger a guy has if he can't get the ball out of the IF. Admittedly, I'm biased. I've met him and let's just say I don't really jive with the backwards hat, Affliction shirt wearing crew.

He really doesn't make mistakes on the paths lol. I can remember not too long ago him stopping a double play by simply stopping in between 1st and 2nd and forcing the 2nd baseman to run up and tag him.

He was hitting good when his parents were there. Now he's back to popping everything up or grounding out.

I don't know what to do but I agree that a trade may not necessarily be the solution here, even though I'm not opposed to it if a good trade comes along.

He's an average baserunner.

Wouldn't call him good, he's somewhere in between.

He's made quite a few mistakes on the basepaths the last couple of seasons.

AJ and Jose Valentin, for example, are/were much better, despite their lack of speed.

I'm not sure where this "headiness" thing comes from.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
Gordon is a valuable guy to have on a team as the primary backup infielder. He can play plus defense at three positions and can step in as an experienced starter in case of injury. Plus he's still cheap.

But next year he starts becoming more and more expensive. 1st year of arbitration eligibility. Law of diminishing returns/ROI.

He might turn into a solid player some day. Maybe even like Alex Gordon, but he will not be doing it on the South Side of Chicago. He's a change of scenery candidate if I've ever seen one. He might do better in the NL...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
He's an average baserunner.

Wouldn't call him good, he's somewhere in between.

He's made quite a few mistakes on the basepaths the last couple of seasons.

AJ and Jose Valentin, for example, are/were much better, despite their lack of speed.

I'm not sure where this "headiness" thing comes from.

It's an excuse for a bad player. You see it used all the tine in basketball for s***ty, white players, especially PG's.