SOX GAMETHREAD: TAKING YU DOWN FOR THE 4 COUNT

Kyyle23

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 01:56 AM)
Wow. See you in 2014 perhaps after the TJ surgery?

Way too early to speculate that. It's more likely fatigue, as I'm sure the Sox staff have asked him tonight if anything's hurting.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
Way too early to speculate that. It's more likely fatigue, as I'm sure the Sox staff have asked him tonight if anything's hurting.

They shouldn't have to ask him. They should see something is wrong with the kid.

Edited by Caesar

Might have more to do with not pitching over a couple weeks span. When you think about it, they gave him rest, but it also might have kind of created the potential for a dead-arm period (kind of like pitchers get early in spring). Again, pure speculation, but I'm really hoping that he isn't hurting and this is more just something he needs to pitch through.

That isn't to say he can't get hurt, clearly he can, however, if there was any soreness, I highly doubt the Sox would have him out there.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:01 AM)
Might have more to do with not pitching over a couple weeks span. When you think about it, they gave him rest, but it also might have kind of created the potential for a dead-arm period (kind of like pitchers get early in spring). Again, pure speculation, but I'm really hoping that he isn't hurting and this is more just something he needs to pitch through.

That isn't to say he can't get hurt, clearly he can, however, if there was any soreness, I highly doubt the Sox would have him out there.

Well said

On the bright side, he's throwing strikes. I'm going to assume, the velocity was also down during his bullepn session. I have to think this is a dead arm more then anything else. As long as it is, there isn't harm leaving them in. In fact, the best way you get through it is by throwing through it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
On the bright side, he's throwing strikes. I'm going to assume, the velocity was also down during his bullepn session. I have to think this is a dead arm more then anything else. As long as it is, there isn't harm leaving them in. In fact, the best way you get through it is by throwing through it.

Dead arm for sure. No way he's out there if he's feeling any discomfort whatsoever.

It was bound to happen, it'll be interesting how the Sox handle this for the next few weeks.

The question to me is if he's in pain. If he isn't and its more just fatigue in the arm and the mechanics are fine (arm angle/delivery) and unchanged, it isn't near as major of an issue (albeit, when you watch you might assume it to be) and all you can do is have him pitch through it (albeit, I'm not having him go more then 85-90 pitches).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:13 AM)
Dead arm for sure. No way he's out there if he's feeling any discomfort whatsoever.

It was bound to happen, it'll be interesting how the Sox handle this for the next few weeks.

DL him, and let Santiago start against the Twins next week. Even if it's a dead arm, you don't want him trying to alter his mechanics to push through it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)
DL him, and let Santiago start against the Twins next week. Even if it's a dead arm, you don't want him trying to alter his mechanics to push through it.

Exactly. DL him. Saying he needs to throw thorugh it is not correct. Shut him down.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:14 PM)

I could live with that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)

The thing with a dead arm is you normally don't change mechancis. Its more just your arm isn't as strong (doesn't feel that way, just not the same natural velocity), but the mechanics usually don't change, etc, so from an injury perspective, there isn't much risk. And as you continue your body adjusts, works through it, and you bounce back.