SOX GAMETHREAD: TAKING YU DOWN FOR THE 4 COUNT

Kyyle23

I am sure that they are confident in what they are doing with Sale. This is their jobs. Everything that we are saying in this thread has been thought about by the Sox and they are acting in the way they feel is best given all of the information.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
Exactly. DL him. Saying he needs to throw thorugh it is not correct. Shut him down.

Dead arms are something you pitch threw. Hurt arms are something you don't. There is a major difference.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:17 AM)
Dead arms are something you pitch threw. Hurt arms are something you don't. There is a major difference.

His next two starts would be against the Twins and Royals. I'm ok shutting him down for 2 weeks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)

My point is he hasn't pitched this many innings in how long? He might start trying to make up for the reduced speed by altering his mechanics. That's my concern. He is down 8mph on his fastball. That isn't normal.

I will point out, there are 2 schools of thought on dead arms. Another school is you do rest them for a week to two weeks with no throwing. The other is you pitch threw it and the body comes back. The more popular route is to pitch thew it, but I personally am not a medical expert.

QUOTE (johnnymick @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:17 AM)
I am sure that they are confident in what they are doing with Sale. This is their jobs. Everything that we are saying in this thread has been thought about by the Sox and they are acting in the way they feel is best given all of the information.

It's got to be impossible for the Sox staff to project what will happen with Sale this year. He's a very unique pitcher in a unique situation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
It's got to be impossible for the Sox staff to project what will happen with Sale this year. He's a very unique pitcher in a unique situation.

No doubt about it.

Just wait til we get White Sox-Nationals in the World Series and Sale and Strasburg are just shut down for precautionary reasons. ;)

QUOTE (Caesar @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
My point is he hasn't pitched this many innings in how long? He might start trying to make up for the reduced speed by altering his mechanics. That's my concern. He is down 8mph on his fastball. That isn't normal.

Typically you change your mechancis when your arm hurts. Not when there is no pain and the velocity is just down. Especially if you are being told its a "dead arm", don't do anything else.

Trust me, I tore my rotator cuff in high school and before finally having surgery on it, I tried to pitch threw and screwed everything up. Thankfully I was never very good and didn't need to throw a mid 80's fastball to advance professionally (cause if I did, i'd be screwed cause I can barely hit 65 now, haha.