Angels land Greinke

Knackattack

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
Gotta admit the Angels are loaded...hate to the one signing checks for that club.

probably they were able to get him because theyre getting hunters 18mil off the books at the end of the year

Who I happen to think is the best team in baseball, just got better. They still have a good shot of having to play a 1 game series to play in the real playoffs though. I expect the Angels believe they have a chance at resigning Greinke. If they don't, steap price they paid. However, he really makes them (imo) the best team in that division (especially since if it hadn't been Anaheim, it probably is Texas, who really could use another starter).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
Who I happen to think is the best team in baseball, just got better. They still have a good shot of having to play a 1 game series to play in the real playoffs though. I expect the Angels believe they have a chance at resigning Greinke. If they don't, steap price they paid. However, he really makes them (imo) the best team in that division (especially since if it hadn't been Anaheim, it probably is Texas, who really could use another starter).

I think it's a great trade for Anaheim due to not losing anyone off their Major League roster and that he's made it seem like he'd be willing to sign an extension there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
I think it's a great trade for Anaheim due to not losing anyone off their Major League roster and that he's made it seem like he'd be willing to sign an extension there.

The hardest part for the Angels is the fact that he's going to get more money then Weaver, who is a better pitcher. Some guys that will annoy, Weaver might be the type of guy that it doesn't bother. That said, its kind of a travesty that Weaver would get paid less then Greinke cause Weaver is freaking money.

Anyone know if Zack is starting tomorrow? I'm going to the game and would love to watch him instead of Earvin.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
The hardest part for the Angels is the fact that he's going to get more money then Weaver, who is a better pitcher. Some guys that will annoy, Weaver might be the type of guy that it doesn't bother. That said, its kind of a travesty that Weaver would get paid less then Greinke cause Weaver is freaking money.

Anyone know if Zack is starting tomorrow? I'm going to the game and would love to watch him instead of Earvin.

Greinke pitches Sunday I believe...sorry.

The rich get richer, but I'm happy if they were trying to rob the Sox. I don't like the idea of giving up a lot for a guy we have ZERO chance of signing. It would have been ridiculous. If we want to trade some of the guys we'd have had to trade for Greinke, do so in the offseason or do so now for somebody we can get to stick around.

We'll be facing him next Friday or Saturday.

Should be interesting, and great crowds next weekend.

We miss Liriano by one game as he POSSIBLY starts this Sunday against CLE.

REMATCH WEEK

MON: De Vries vs. Quintana

TUE: Blackburn vs. Peavy

WED: Diamond vs TBA

We're going to have to win those first two because Diamond has been super tough recently.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 12:13 AM)
The rich get richer, but I'm happy if they were trying to rob the Sox. I don't like the idea of giving up a lot for a guy we have ZERO chance of signing. It would have been ridiculous. If we want to trade some of the guys we'd have had to trade for Greinke, do so in the offseason or do so now for somebody we can get to stick around.

In the offseason, Zack will either be a FA or extended by the Angels. Either way, the Sox won't be a part of the discussion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
We'll be facing him next Friday or Saturday.

Should be interesting, and great crowds next weekend.

We miss Liriano by one game as he POSSIBLY starts this Sunday against CLE.

REMATCH WEEK

MON: De Vries vs. Quintana

TUE: Blackburn vs. Peavy

WED: Diamond vs TBA

We're going to have to win those first two because Diamond has been super tough recently.

I guess no matter what the prices, Sox fans will pack the Cell if they believe the team is in the race. It looks like right now and as of the last home series, they do believe there's a realistic shot at winning the division. This year is perfect proof of why the Sox can never completely rebuild if it means losing 90 or more games for a few seasons. Sox fans want to win or they ain't coming. They now are coming again.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I guess no matter what the prices, Sox fans will pack the Cell if they believe the team is in the race. It looks like right now and as of the last home series, they do believe there's a realistic shot at winning the division. This year is perfect proof of why the Sox can never completely rebuild if it means losing 90 or more games for a few seasons. Sox fans want to win or they ain't coming. They now are coming again.

Worst case scenario, they go into Minnesota with a 1/2 game lead.

Hopefully Humber can relax and just pitch his game tonight, knowing the Tigers have already lost. Whatever he does, he can't get behind in the count or get them out with fastballs.

Not to mention that with Greinke, Trout, Trumbo, Pujols and Weaver, the Angels might have the most superstar-laden team outside NY and BOS.

Plus we have our own Boston star in YOUK, that's helped to build interest as well.