Danks will have exploratory surgery

southsider2k5

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
I think this is a situation where the fan base overrates him. Other than this upside we keep waiting on, his stats don't say $100K pitcher. The Sox were the high bidder in this one. He was determined during the season to be somewhere else.

Using free agent numbers, I don't think it is overrating him at all.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
I wasn't referring to injury history, but rather to a situation where they couldn't find anything yet the pitcher just didn't seem comfortable throwing.

The same thing happened to Lorenzo Barcelo. He would up having both shoulder and elbow surgery.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
Williams, meanwhile, said reports that left-hander John Danks could face season-ending surgery "was news to me.

From Chicago tribune article about Liriano. Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2563686.story

I saw those quotes too. Made me feel better. It would appear his recent 2 straight 30 pitch sessions were okay (at least there wasn't bad news that came out of it).

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
Williams, meanwhile, said reports that left-hander John Danks could face season-ending surgery "was news to me.

From Chicago tribune article about Liriano. Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2563686.story

Hawk just said that Danks looked like he was going to be "cut" FWIW

Anyone else find it weird that Danks says that basically if his rehab goes poorly that he would consider surgery not meaning that he's about to get surgery? He even said he was still rehabbing normally. Just because he said that he personally would be okay considering surgery if needed does not mean he is about to get it. Wait till he has a setback in rehab again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Something to consider is if the Sox are keeping the severity of the injury private prior to the deadline in order to avoid giving other teams leverage in trade talks? KW saying he expects him back in early September could just be a big bluff.

They wouldn't have let Danks say anything like what he said if that were the case.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Anyone else find it weird that Danks says that basically if his rehab goes poorly that he would consider surgery not meaning that he's about to get surgery? He even said he was still rehabbing normally. Just because he said that he personally would be okay considering surgery if needed does not mean he is about to get it. Wait till he has a setback in rehab again.

Hawk said it looked like he was going to be cut and he's with the team, so I think it means he's still in pain throwing 20 pitches after almost 2 months of rest, which would indicate his rehab isn't going well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
I don't think Hawk knows s***.

But yes, Danks = mental midget just like everyone else.

Hawk knows more inside info on the Sox than anyone on this board. If he's saying it looks like Danks is going to have surgery, there's a pretty good chance he's having surgery.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
Is there such thing as minor shoulder surgery? If he gets shoulder surgery, is 2013 a lost year for Danks?

There are shoulder surgeries that have as little as 3 months recovery time. I almost got one for a more severe injury.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
Is there such thing as minor shoulder surgery? If he gets shoulder surgery, is 2013 a lost year for Danks?

They don't even know what is wrong with him. I think its possible he could be ready for spring training, and its possible we never see him on the mound again for the White Sox. Its very bizarre.