Danks will have exploratory surgery

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
There are shoulder surgeries that have as little as 3 months recovery time. I almost got one for a more severe injury.

The recovery time is a little bit different when you throw baseballs for a living, but I agree, they could find something very minor.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
Is there such thing as minor shoulder surgery? If he gets shoulder surgery, is 2013 a lost year for Danks?

Way too hard to say, but if he had surgery now, he'd still have a pretty long-time until spring, which is a good thing. I can't imagine 2013 would be lost.

Is amazing how much the Sox rotation has changed cause of stuff.

Who would have thought Quintana, Sale, Liriano, Floyd, Peavy and Humber would be the rotation? And with Sale apparently needing rest even he will probably not finish the season.

Wow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:49 AM)

Who would have thought Quintana, Sale, Liriano, Floyd, Peavy and Humber would be the rotation? And with Sale apparently needing rest even he will probably not finish the season.

Wow.

Sale not having the endurance to get through a full season as a starter could have been predicted at the start of 2011 when they gambled on putting him in the bullpen for a full season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:49 AM)

Wow.

Is this just speculation that Sale won't finish the season? I think we're overreacting about Sale. The Sox are going to go with a 6 man rotation to give Sale more rest between starts, but I have not seen any indication he will miss time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
Sale not having the endurance to get through a full season as a starter could have been predicted at the start of 2011 when they gambled on putting him in the bullpen for a full season.

And it was still the correct thing to do.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
A TON of assuming going on in this thread. It's like you want him to be badly hurt.

I'm pretty sure everyone would like Danks to be 100% and pitching for the White Sox. I also think if he's not going to pitch this year and is going to have surgery, most of us would rather he have it sooner than later so he can get back on the mound as quickly as possible.

"May need surgery". He has a freaking tear in the scapular of his throwing shoulder. Thats why his velocity was down and he was so bad and hittable before landing on the DL. Of course he is going to need surgery. It boggles my mind the sox had some sort of ray of hope he was going to magically recover and pitch at full form (with a torn scapula) by just shutting him down for 8 weeks. Do they have some magic pixy dust to heal muscle tears without surgery, do they have the magic soccer cold spray? I cant name a single pitcher that has ever had a scapular tear in his throwing shoulder and not had surgery.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
"May need surgery". He has a freaking tear in the scapular of his throwing shoulder. Thats why his velocity was down and he was so bad and hittable before landing on the DL. Of course he is going to need surgery. It boggles my mind the sox had some sort of ray of hope he was going to magically recover and pitch at full form (with a torn scapula) by just shutting him down for 8 weeks. Do they have some magic pixy dust to heal muscle tears without surgery, do they have the magic soccer cold spray? I cant name a single pitcher that has ever had a scapular tear in his throwing shoulder and not had surgery.

Again, where are you getting this from?

Danks has a Grade-1 strain of the subscapularis muscle... diagnosed in mid-June. Not initially thought to require surgery.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Referred to as a tear in this note from the Tribune...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-06...tter-mdgonzales

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

Come on, man...are you really going to presume to know more than the medical staff?

I spent a few minutes looking on medical sites for treatment of this type of injury.

Seems physical therapy is the first option.

Surgery is not normally recommended for Grade 1 unless physical therapy doesn't provide results.

Time period for therapy was described as normally 6-8 weeks.

If he requires arthroscopic surgery, it says the normal recovery time would be 3-6 months.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
I spent a few minutes looking on medical sites for treatment of this type of injury.

Seems physical therapy is the first option.

Surgery is not normally recommended for Grade 1 unless physical therapy doesn't provide results.

Time period for therapy was described as normally 6-8 weeks.

If he requires arthroscopic surgery, it says the normal recovery time would be 3-6 months.

I would add a few months for a pitcher after surgery. I think he's having surgery. The guy has no desire to throw right now. They need to find out what is really going on.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)

The drama queen nature of sports fans is hilarious. I swear some you guys like the gossip more than the sport. They have TMZ for that. Crybabies.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
I would add a few months for a pitcher after surgery. I think he's having surgery. The guy has no desire to throw right now. They need to find out what is really going on.

He got his contract !

Seriously, I really doubt this is true as Danks seems like a real stand up guy, but isn't it kind of strange that he always turned down the Sox offers in the past. I don't think that his deal was that big and he seemed like he was headed to free agency prior to his signing. Is it possible that he sensed that something was wrong at the end of last season and wanted to get his deal signed if it turned out serious?

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
He got his contract !

Seriously, I really doubt this is true as Danks seems like a real stand up guy, but isn't it kind of strange that he always turned down the Sox offers in the past. I don't think that his deal was that big and he seemed like he was headed to free agency prior to his signing. Is it possible that he sensed that something was wrong at the end of last season and wanted to get his deal signed if it turned out serious?

Absolutely.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
He got his contract !

Its true, not because of desire, but he physically doesn't want to throw now. He will if they tell him to, but he's hurting.

don't know what they have scheduled for me," said Danks, who hasn't thrown off a mound since Friday while recovering from a left shoulder strain. "I was kind of glad we didn't throw off the mound (Monday). It wasn't too bad, but I definitely like the break. It's not fun going out there and trying to push through something. But you've got to do what you got to do, and (if) they had me do it, I'll do it."

Edited by Dick Allen

If he does need surgery, what pisses me off is that Kenny could have traded him in the off-season and this team could have still been in contention since even when healthy Danks didn't contribute to the success of this team.