Sox land Liriano

cabiness42

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
After seeing him pitch against the Sox I'm not sure Liriano is the answer, but after Greinke he was my second choice and the price was right.

Yup, tough to argue with any of this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
If there's one thing Cooper excels at, it's getting his pitchers to improve their control. This is just a great trade.

It's a brilliant trade and EXACTLY the type of move I wanted Kenny to make...sorta grabbing a guy under the radar...I was worried about Greinke talks because I was worried it would hurt our current team (as well as the minors), but this deal? Amazing...right out of the moves like getting El Duque', Jenks, Hermanson, Thronton, Floyd, and the countless other fanfare-less moves that helped the Sox win big.

I know Liriano has been shaky at times this year, but this is a superior gamble to make given our track record with such reclamation projects.

I said Jackson/Johnson earlier, but I'm changing that to Morel, I honestly forgot about him. He has played some SS occasionally, and between him and Bekcham, they can spell Alexei the one or two games he'll miss this year going forward.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
We still have Santiago.

True, haven't seen his splits though, seems like he's not particularly tough on lefties from the eye test.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
Seriously though, KW is going beast mode.

Put it this way...if Escobar, Pedro Hernandez, Heidenreich, Walters, Lillibridge or Stewart are missed by the Sox, then it's likely the Sox team in the next few years are going to suck.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
And how deep do we need to go in the playoffs to resign Peavy, Youk, Myers, and Liriano?

And what does this mean for Danks if we resign Liriano? Ain't gonna have 4 lefties.

There's no way in hell we're re-signing Liriano if it's not super cheap. He's so high maintenance. I can stand him for 10 starts, but not for a whole year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
Really doubt it, he's struggled a lot this year.

He's been much better of late. He walks a ton and steals a lot of bases. Offensively, he is better than EE. Defensively, I don't know enough about him, but probably pales in comparison.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:23 PM)
Put it this way...if Escobar, Pedro Hernandez, Heidenreich, Walters, Lillibridge or Stewart are missed by the Sox, then it's likely the Sox team in the next few years are going to suck.

Seriously... for Escobar, Hernandez, Heidenreich, Walters, Lillibridge and Stewart... we got Myers, Liriano and Youk, and some cash offsets. Um, yeah, Ill take that.