Sox land Liriano

cabiness42

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
The trade, however, was tough for the teary-eyed Escobar, 23, who was consoled by Orlando Hudson and A.J. Pierzynski after the game.

Miguel Olivo cried when he was traded to Seattle.

well like they said, good for eduardo though , he'll get a lot of playing time there as apposed to here

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 04:09 AM)
and i wouldnt trade floyd. we still need him. if they want , trade him in the offseason, not now

I agree, but doesn't it seem like he's in the doghouse for good and that KW wants to dump him ASAP?

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)
Looking at the Tigers boards & Indians boards they seem to be brushing this trade off & saying it wasnt an upgrade at all.

They must not know about the magic Don Cooper has worked in the past. Not to mention in his last 60 innings hasn't Liriano struck out about 70? His stuff is still there.

indians? please, their rotation blows. but everyone is biased. had either of those teams landed liriano, theyd be ecstatic.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 04:15 AM)
Looking at the Tigers boards & Indians boards they seem to be brushing this trade off & saying it wasnt an upgrade at all.

They must not know about the magic Don Cooper has worked in the past. Not to mention in his last 60 innings hasn't Liriano struck out about 70? His stuff is still there.

It's probably his record. He's 3-10. That isn't scary. Hopefully Coop can fix him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:17 PM)
I agree, but doesn't it seem like he's in the doghouse for good and that KW wants to dump him ASAP?

Nope, he just came off the DL.

We just made a move to bolster the starting rotation that is full of question marks. Why would we immediately weaken it again?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 04:18 AM)
The Escobar stuff is making me a bit sad after I was initially super pumped about the trade. The real question is does KW have one move left?

Just think about Esky's throwing error tonight instead of the two hits. It will ease the pain. He's a good player but nothing special. Good luck to him except vs. the Sox!

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)

Perhaps the biggest thing it does, even if Liriano is average, is gets Sale some rest.

Escobar will be a starting SS. The reports on his abilities coming up were garbage. Flame away.

Pedro Hernandez... can't figure out what the Twins want him for. I doubt KW would have slammed down the phone in anger if they asked for Leesman or Rodriguez instead.

Great move for the Sox. Kenny got a lot of potential upside in Liriano and also someone who is extendable after the season. Kenny loves to acquire those second-level types, i.e. the players who are the next level down below the star players at their positions but have similar raw talents. He especially likes the ones that play in smaller markets. This is vintage KW and it's great to see the insane level of absolute idiocy that ravaged this board last summer is now gone. The KW haters now realize how stupid they were in judging everything in hindsight and crying about pro-active win-now moves. You don't like Kenny, go watch the Royals. And go finger through your prospect books while you watch them suck.

I agree with the poster who said KW is giving the big "f*** you" to all his doubters right now, and the biggest won is right there aimed at Ozzie.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:17 AM)
indians? please, their rotation blows. but everyone is biased. had either of those teams landed liriano, theyd be ecstatic.

Yup no doubt. We will find out soon enough just how good Liriano can be.

He should match up well against the Tribe down the stretch.

Says much about our farm system how someone like Escobar can fly so high up the prospect rankings. This will be great for his career, he'll likely realize that once shock wears off.

To hear him be emotional obviously will strike a chord with fans, as too often the evidence is of these guys being all about the $ and not the sentimental stuff. Yet one could argue moments like these are what make them later be all-business/me-first.

Thus, chicken/egg

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)
The Sox so far have given up Lillibridge, who was given up by Boston, Stewart, Escobar and minor league fodder. So really KW has traded away as close to nothing as you can get. The only thing is Escobar is a decent defender, a high energy guy, really liked in the clubhouse. His intanigibles may be missed, but he had 3 RBI. The Sox do need someone to back up at SS. No to Hudson there.

The 30th ranked farm system strikes again.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
and i wouldnt trade floyd. we still need him. if they want , trade him in the offseason, not now

They can't trade him unless they agree to pick up the $9.5 million option first.

This was the obvious move all along, instead of going after Greinke, Johnson, Shields, Garza, etc. It gives us lots of flexibility, someone who's familiar with the AL Central and all our opponents like his own team and the Royals, he can go back and forth from starting to the pen, he covers some of our weaknesses with Thornton, Santiago (getting RH hitters out better than LH) and Septimo's inexperience...then there's the whole Don Cooper factor.

He is a free agent, but they have the right to offer him arbitration or a new contract/extension at any time, depending on how the new partnership goes.

Great to see Terry Ryan sticking it to the Tigers. He traded them Young, so turnabout is fair play.

I honestly don't think Williams is done. In the thread I started in TW, I suggested two pitchers, one of them being Liriano.

From things we've been hearing tonight, the other pitcher might actually be Dempster for more of our minor league pitching, specifically, Molina. Although Castro, Rienzo, Snodgress, Johnson, Olacio, Petricka...they could also be involved.

For some reason, I think that Floyd still might be moved IF IF IF KW can get back the piece he wants. If not, he's insurance for Danks So is Humber, who I was theorizing would be traded for another starter.

We're in a great place now to go to the 6 man, not push Danks to come back....pick and choose how to use Sale, Quintana and Peavy down the stretch from series to series, matching up Liriano against LH dominant teams.

Not since 2003, 2005-06, 2008 (before Quentin injury) and 2010 (26-5 run) have things looked so up in White Sox Nation.

It's pretty amazing how absymal disasters (06-07 and 09-11) still led to recoveries in a relatively short time span....and kudos to everyone sticking it out with Dunn, Peavy and Rios, all who have been huge for us in 2012. I'll even give some credit to Ozzie, even though he was actually trying to stick it to KW by making Dunn humiliated by playing against LHP last year.

In the meantime, we haven't traded Viciedo, Quintana, Reed, Jones, Santiago, etc. Pretty amazing. Although I think the PTBNL in the Astros deal might end up being someone everyone here wanted to keep like Walker, Johnson, Kevan Smith....maybe Semien.