Sox land Liriano

cabiness42

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
I may have missed it, but what is Liriano's contract situation?

Free agent after the World Series.

2013's team is going to be interesting with lots of decisions to make. Peavy's option at $22 m, Youkilis at $13 m, Meyers at $3 m, and Liriano a free agent as well. Sounds like the Sox will have to win this year for any of those guys to come back. Is Hudson's option ripped up since he left San Diego?

I'm not opposed to dealing Floyd if it comes with some prospects to refill the system. But that sort of deal would defeat the Liriano acquisition and the back up plan to start him in the 5 man rotation if Danks has surgery.

Bottom line, the White Sox are all in this year without worrying about repercussions for next year.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
The Twins scouts haven't been right very much recently. This was a salary dump and Escobar was the tallest midget they were offered. He strikes out more than 1 in 4 AB. Hits .159 against RHP with a .190 slugging pct. He's a back up at best, and the Twins, a last place team playing for nothing, are sending him to AAA. Please stop with the dramatics. He's an easily replaceable piece.

Hoey over Hardy

Garza/Bartlett for Young

dumping their entire bullpen after 2010

Nishioka and Casilla up the middle

Valencia

had to give up Nathan, Cuddyer, Young and Kubel because of Morneau and Mauer's deals

Slowey, Duensing and Blackburn regressed, Baker hurt and inconsistent, Kyle Gibson injured

Willingham, the one thing to go right recently....and Diamond, and some of their young bullpen arms are coming along, Perkins has been pretty good...Revere too, but no pop and a carbon copy of Span when they need to get more power in that huge stadium

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
had to give up Nathan, Cuddyer, Young and Kubel because of Morneau and Mauer's deals

That's the rub for me - they sell out all the time but those cheap bastards blew a chance to remain competitive by letting these guys walk.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Trading Floyd would be the start of getting another pitcher not just to move Floyd. If KW has an opportunity to get a pitcher like King Felix or Shields then moving Floyd would give him some payroll room and a prospect or two to use in the trade. I would move Viciedo for Hernandez if I had to. Sox could get another left fielder much easier than a top of the line starter.

Sale

Peavy

"King" Felix

Liriano

New Q

Humber to rest those guys

Next year

Danks

Sale

New Q

"King" Felix

Peavy or Liriano whoever the Sox can sign

Wouldn't Felix be the Sox #1 or #2 in 2013? There is no f***ing way he'd be the #4.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
Pretty impressive how Emperor Kenneth is conquering all of these cities. Orlando O'dawg, Man Francisco, Fort Myers, New Youk New Youk.

:wacko:

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Free agent after the World Series.

2013's team is going to be interesting with lots of decisions to make. Peavy's option at $22 m, Youkilis at $13 m, Meyers at $3 m, and Liriano a free agent as well. Sounds like the Sox will have to win this year for any of those guys to come back. Is Hudson's option ripped up since he left San Diego?

I'm not opposed to dealing Floyd if it comes with some prospects to refill the system. But that sort of deal would defeat the Liriano acquisition and the back up plan to start him in the 5 man rotation if Danks has surgery.

Bottom line, the White Sox are all in this year without worrying about repercussions for next year.

No way they'll give Peavy that kind of money. I'd say no way they will give Youk that kind of money and no way will Liriano re-sign. Do you disagree? Sox aren't going to pay any of those three guys serious money. Peavy (injury risk); Youk (too old), Liriano (not good enough to get huge money).

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
They need a RH reliever as badly as they needed another starter. Crain is just not a guy who can pitch two days in a row and be effective. It puts a ton of strain on the rest of the righties and as we know Jones is useless.

Jones' ERA on the road this year is 2.50. I guess I just wouldn't consider that "useless."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
No way they'll give Peavy that kind of money. I'd say no way they will give Youk that kind of money and no way will Liriano re-sign. Do you disagree? Sox aren't going to pay any of those three guys serious money. Peavy (injury risk); Youk (too old), Liriano (not good enough to get huge money).

But they're not going to go into 2013 with Morel as the 3B after this year...the fans wouldn't be very tolerant after how well YOUK has played and how many games he's been the key to winning.

Liriano, if he's comfortable here and enjoys working with Cooper, why not? Familiar with division, same area of the US roughly, he's not going to be getting $12.5 million (the minimum for compensation as an offer) or more, so he might want to sign a one year deal with the Sox, work with Nieves and Cooper, then go after the big payday in 2014.

Liriano, with just a couple of exceptions, has pitched better than Floyd and Humber for the last 6-8 weeks.

If you're KW, you take the potential turnaround of Liriano at $5-7 million over Gavin Floyd at $9.5 million every time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Jones' ERA on the road this year is 2.50. I guess I just wouldn't consider that "useless."

They're fine with Jones, Myers and Reed. They can always bring back Omogrosso, Heath or Marinez if Jones continues to struggle with his control.

There are just as many questions about Thornton, Santiago and Septimo. You just have to trust them and be ready for "next man in" from here on out.

I still think it's ironic that one of the pitchers we could most use is the one we least wanted in the offseason, Frasor.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
They need a RH reliever as badly as they needed another starter. Crain is just not a guy who can pitch two days in a row and be effective. It puts a ton of strain on the rest of the righties and as we know Jones is useless.

Maybe I'm being glass half-full here, but I would say he's a work in progress, raw talent and lots of upside if they can harness that natural power. Very effortless 98-99 mph fastball. Once he learns to control it more consistently, and couples it with a consistent breaking pitch, he's going to be deadly. I love the fact that he's seeing a lot of high-pressure situations against the league's best lineups. Sure, he's failing at times, but that's only going to make him better down the road.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
And will only be used for defensive purposes, so it's not a big deal

So, someone has to be sent down to make room if Olmedo comes up. Septimo I assume? Maybe santiago

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I think it's spelled "Ray", but either way, a terrible 31-year-old IF who hasn't been in the majors since....2006 maybe?

Defensive replacement who can't make a major league roster, still has a career OPS better than Escobar. He's basically what Escobar is and will be 8 years from now.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
I think it's spelled "Ray", but either way, a terrible 31-year-old IF who hasn't been in the majors since....2006 maybe?

Wow, nice going White Sox.

Get the guy's name right in the press release.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Maybe I'm being glass half-full here, but I would say he's a work in progress, raw talent and lots of upside if they can harness that natural power. Very effortless 98-99 mph fastball. Once he learns to control it more consistently, and couples it with a consistent breaking pitch, he's going to be deadly. I love the fact that he's seeing a lot of high-pressure situations against the league's best lineups. Sure, he's failing at times, but that's only going to make him better down the road.

No wonder he's wild with that Keith Foulke type delivery.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)

Throw away Jones' worst 3 outings covering 1 1/3 innings and his ERA is 1.56 his other 40 1/3 with a K an inning. Totally useless.

Edited by Dick Allen

THIS IS....AWESOME!

I'm sure a former gold glove 2nd basemen, Orlando Hudson, can get by making a few starts at SS. Or when Lexi needs a day off I'm sure Beckham still has some game over at SS.

No need for another RH reliever as others have braught up, Jones right now is the righty "mop up" guy and thats certainly not a bad thing. Myers and Crain will be/are great 7th and 8th inning righties out of the pen. I'm a Santiago fan but I wouldn't mind another south paw out of the pen.

Really love this team, I'm glad my early optimism hasn't gone to waste.

THIS IS REAL!...THIS IS WHITE SOX BASEBALL!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)

Jones is not useless. Dude is solid and will be very good. Guys are going to give up runs, it happens. And he's bound to struggle as he gets there, thats why acquiring Myers was so important. He's been there and done it and when you add in Crain (who is getting better and more into baseball shape again) and you are in a much better place.

Sox just need a utility guy. I'll take this team and think they have as good a shot as almost any team in baseball at making a deep run. On a sidenote, in terms of Liriano, I like this deal, mainly because they didn't give up any A prospects and with the young guys in our rotation, we could use an extra arm. Plus, Liriano has been damn good the past 10 starts (with 1 bad start in that mix). His main problem is command which Coop has historically been good at.

Personally, I hope the Sox find a way to resign Liriano and put him in the rotation for next year along with Sale/Danks and Q. That said, not many rotations have 4 southpaws. Either way, this gives the Sox plenty of options and if they get into the post-season, Liriano is the type of guy that could be a pretty sick out of the pen in the post-season.