Sox land Liriano

cabiness42

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Phil Rogers

Is the addition of Francisco Liriano a precursor to another trade by Ken Williams? The White Sox have been telling teams that Gavin Floyd is available, and it's possible that Floyd will be traded to Baltimore or elsewhere before the Monday deadline. For Liriano, the trade to the White Sox should be convenient, at the least. He was scheduled to pitch at Target Field on Sunday but instead will get a day to make the mental transition to a new team before the Sox arrive in Minnesota on Monday. Rookie Jose Quintana is set to start for the Sox in the opener, followed by Jake Peavy Tuesday. Robin Ventura could schedule Liriano to make his debut on Wednesday, as that would get two extra days' rest for Chris Sale, who would then be pushed back until Friday in Chicago against the Angels. This plan would allow for Don Cooper to work with Liriano in a side session on Monday. That makes sense. If the White Sox don't deal Floyd or another starter, they'll have to choose between a six-man rotation and moving a starter like Quintana or Humber to the bullpen. Interesting times, for sure.

http://sulia.com/channel/baseball/f/a7aae6...?source=twitter

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
As odd as it sounds, I would much rather have Liriano over Greinke.

If the price was the same, no way. If Humber can be decent, and I was going to start a Phillip Humber is the most worthless pitcher in baseball thread tonight, after seeing what happened after similar threads for Viciedo, Konerko and Beckham have worked in the past, the Sox can go to a 6 man rotation for a while and/or give Sale and Quintana a start off. They needed anther starter. Hopefully Liriano can get the job done. He definitely has the ability, and he's pitching for a contract.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
If the price was the same, no way. If Humber can be decent, and I was going to start a Phillip Humber is the most worthless pitcher in baseball thread tonight, after seeing what happened after similar threads for Viciedo, Konerko and Beckham have worked in the past, the Sox can go to a 6 man rotation for a while and/or give Sale and Quintana a start off. They needed anther starter. Hopefully Liriano can get the job done. He definitely has the ability, and he's pitching for a contract.

but it wasnt lol so liriano>>>

Ya I'm not sold on Phil to be a consistently good 5th starter down the stretch, keep Gavin and roll with this staff right now. Sale-Peavy-Q-Gavin-Liriano with Humber getting a few spot starts here and there to give some guys a little extra rest sounds damn good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
Put it this way...if it was the Tigers or Theo making the same trades this year that KW has, we'd be extremely pissed off.

And Baseball Tonight would be drooling over it. These are fantastic moves for what we gave up.

Jacob Turner for Anibal Sanchez? Give me Liriano for EE and Hernandez instead. At least Liriano knows how to pitch in AL.

I mean really? Turner for Sanchez?

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN

Kenny Williams has worked hard to make a deal. Via email: move for Liriano "imperative." Also said phone is out minutes, he's turning it off

His phone is out of minutes? What? A GM doesn't have unlimited voice?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:19 AM)
KW telling everyone on this board to STFU. 3 amazing trades, Big Donkey and Peavy coming into form, Rios bouncing back. The guy may have known what he was doing.

Where's greg?

Right here. Just heard of the trade. These are the kind of trades I like again. Where we give up guys that are not highly regarded for name players. KW is proving this year it can be done. Is he trying harder? Perhaps. I'm glad he's doing it. Youk has been a godsend.

I don't get as excited about trades as you guys do. Look at all the traffic on this thread. I tend to look at performance once we get the new players. But hopefully Liriano will be as good as Youk has been. It's obvious Floyd is getting dealt if anybody will have him for a decent offer and Danks is done for the year. So we need Liriano to pitch well. Amazing that Danks and Floyd were our two studs entering the year and both are likely gone now. What a wild season.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:26 AM)
I know as a Sox fan this may be biased, but KW has secured executive of the year with his acquisitions of Youk, Myers, and Liriano. We've lost literally nothing of importance and picked up 3 key pieces to fill enormous holes on our team. No veteran presence in the pen, let's go ahead and snag Brett Myers for a couple marginal prospects. A giant hole at 3b currently filled by a developing player with major health issues, let's trade a utility player not doing s*** and a AAAA pitcher for a 3-time All Star 3b who is still young enough to make an impact (and has). Danks is hurt and Humber is pitching like s***, let me pick up a dominant lefty starter with hella potential for another utility guy and a scrub minor leaguer.

KW is god. It's official.

I love this deal. I really hope we can sign Liriano to an extension....he's getting back to where he needs to be.

Wow. You are excited.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 03:58 AM)
I would not start Liriano against the Twins on Monday.

I would. Pitch him against his former team either Monday or Wednesday. I like those matchups of current acquisition vs. former team.

Kudos to Esky tonight for a good final game in a Sox uniform. He looked spunky.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:02 PM)
And Baseball Tonight would be drooling over it. These are fantastic moves for what we gave up.

Jacob Turner for Anibal Sanchez? Give me Liriano for EE and Hernandez instead. At least Liriano knows how to pitch in AL.

I mean really? Turner for Sanchez?

well atleast they got infante too lol

The Sox so far have given up Lillibridge, who was given up by Boston, Stewart, Escobar and minor league fodder. So really KW has traded away as close to nothing as you can get. The only thing is Escobar is a decent defender, a high energy guy, really liked in the clubhouse. His intanigibles may be missed, but he had 3 RBI. The Sox do need someone to back up at SS. No to Hudson there.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
From Phil Rogers

Is the addition of Francisco Liriano a precursor to another trade by Ken Williams? The White Sox have been telling teams that Gavin Floyd is available, and it's possible that Floyd will be traded to Baltimore or elsewhere before the Monday deadline. For Liriano, the trade to the White Sox should be convenient, at the least. He was scheduled to pitch at Target Field on Sunday but instead will get a day to make the mental transition to a new team before the Sox arrive in Minnesota on Monday. Rookie Jose Quintana is set to start for the Sox in the opener, followed by Jake Peavy Tuesday. Robin Ventura could schedule Liriano to make his debut on Wednesday, as that would get two extra days' rest for Chris Sale, who would then be pushed back until Friday in Chicago against the Angels. This plan would allow for Don Cooper to work with Liriano in a side session on Monday. That makes sense. If the White Sox don't deal Floyd or another starter, they'll have to choose between a six-man rotation and moving a starter like Quintana or Humber to the bullpen. Interesting times, for sure.

http://sulia.com/channel/baseball/f/a7aae6...?source=twitter

at this point you better get something ridiculous if you give up Gavin...can't see it right now. You're putting an awful lot of pressure/depending on Humber. And you DO NOT send Quintana to the bullpen...PERIOD.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 04:05 AM)
at this point you better get something ridiculous if you give up Gavin...can't see it right now. You're putting an awful lot of pressure/depending on Humber. And you DO NOT send Quintana to the bullpen...PERIOD.

You are right, would be very dumb to mess with the success story that Quintana is. He must remain a starter.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:05 PM)

If Danks was a sure thing coming back by September 1, I could easily see Floyd being gone. But that's not the case. I wonder what you could get for Floyd. The problem is if you trade him, you may need another starter by September.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:07 PM)
You are right, would be very dumb to mess with the success story that Quintana is. He must remain a starter.

and i wouldnt trade floyd. we still need him. if they want , trade him in the offseason, not now

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
The Sox so far have given up Lillibridge, who was given up by Boston, Stewart, Escobar and minor league fodder. So really KW has traded away as close to nothing as you can get. The only thing is Escobar is a decent defender, a high energy guy, really liked in the clubhouse. His intanigibles may be missed, but he had 3 RBI. The Sox do need someone to back up at SS. No to Hudson there.

Right now I kinda wish we had Lilli back to tell you the truth. Backup IF and OF...

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The White Sox acquired left-handed starting pitcher Francisco Liriano from the Minnesota Twins on Saturday night in exchange for infielder Eduardo Escobar and minor-league left-hander Pedro Hernandez.

Liriano, who pitched a no-hitter against the Sox last season, will move into the rotation.

Liriano, 28, is 3-10 with a 5.31 ERA over 100 innings with 109 strikeouts in 22 games for the Twins in 2012. He ranks third in the American League in strikeouts per nine innings with 9.81 and has limited lefties to a .195 average. He lost his last start on July 23 against the Sox, allowing seven runs over 2 2/3 innings after posting a 2.84 ERA with 77 strikeouts in his previous 10 outings.

"We have working the phones for weeks trying make the team as strong and as resilient as possible for the stretch run,'' general manager Ken Williams said. "Due to circumstances we thought bringing in another starter was imperative to combat the two-month grind ahead and hopefully beyond. In talking to Liriano, he is excited and motivated to get after it and join us for this run.''

Robin Ventura didn't specify plans for Liriano, except to say he'll be in the rotation. Pitching coach Don Cooper didn't rule out the possibility of Liriano fitting in as a sixth starter.

"That's certainly a possibility,'' Cooper said. "It's all a possibility and we haven't gotten there yet.

"It's a nice addition, obviously. A guy who has had some success. Good arm, left-hander, all of those things. And he has got experience. So where to plug him in, where we do and all of those things are yet to be talked about.''

"I've played with Franky and he's a great teammate,'' said Sox pitcher Philip Humber, who pitched six strong innings in the Sox' 5-2 victory against the Rangers. "He's one of those guys who makes the guys around him better by the way he works hard. Everyone knows he has got great stuff.''

Escobar played shortstop for the Sox Saturday night, hitting two doubles.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2012/07...bar-for-tw.html

Looking at the Tigers boards & Indians boards they seem to be brushing this trade off & saying it wasnt an upgrade at all.

They must not know about the magic Don Cooper has worked in the past. Not to mention in his last 60 innings hasn't Liriano struck out about 70? His stuff is still there.