Tribe Turning Into Sellers

Noonskadoodle

Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Indians are teling teams they may be open to trading Masterson. The Reds & Rangers had scouts at his last start.

Choo is also a name popping up & the teams interested are once again the Reds & Rangers.

Last but not least there have been rumblings about Chris Perez being moved due to the emergence of Vinnie Pestano, but Knobler says that is probably doubtful.

I guess being swept by the Twins put a damper on their season a bit.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:58 AM)
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Indians are teling teams they may be open to trading Masterson. The Reds & Rangers had scouts at his last start.

Choo is also a name popping up & the teams interested are once again the Reds & Rangers.

Last but not least there have been rumblings about Chris Perez being moved due to the emergence of Vinnie Pestano, but Knobler says that is probably doubtful.

I guess being swept by the Twins put a damper on their season a bit.

It amazes me how teams sign guys in the offseason to huge deals, then once reality sets in and the team is five or more games out at the trading deadline, the teams try like crazy to get rid of the contracts. Wild.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
It amazes me how teams sign guys in the offseason to huge deals, then once reality sets in and the team is five or more games out at the trading deadline, the teams try like crazy to get rid of the contracts. Wild.

Coming from the guy that was desperate to get rid of Dunn last year.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:56 AM)
Coming from the guy that was desperate to get rid of Dunn last year.

That's cause he was the worst player in baseball history for a single season. Like I was the only one. LOL ...

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:59 AM)
That's cause he was the worst player in baseball history for a single season. Like I was the only one. LOL ...

You certainly weren't the only one, but you were the most vocal on this site.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 08:01 AM)
You certainly weren't the only one, but you were the most vocal on this site.

Of course I wanted the Sox to dump him. He was a disaster. There were a few people that said he'd return to his norm. Looks like a lot of GMs agreed with me. Not one GM saw Dunn turning it around, because nobody tried to trade for him. Whoever said the Sox should keep Dunn no matter what, stand up and take a bow. He's having a very good season.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:06 AM)
Of course I wanted the Sox to dump him. He was a disaster. There were a few people that said he'd return to his norm. Looks like a lot of GMs agreed with me. Not one GM saw Dunn turning it around, because nobody tried to trade for him. Whoever said the Sox should keep Dunn no matter what, stand up and take a bow. He's having a very good season.

I'll take my bow now. However, Dunn was probably my favorite non-sox player in baseball for about 10 years so I was kind of biased.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:06 AM)

How do you know no one tried to trade for him?

Who can the Tribe get rid of?

Choo, one would guess. Hafner, but ugly contract will require money to go the other way, which the Indians hate to do. Same with Jimenez. Nobody would even want Damon. I guess Tomlin or Carmona (or whatever his real name is)...

Chris Perez's name has been mentioned, with Pestano moving to closer and Joe Smith to the 8th.

Cabrera, Kipnis and Santana have to stay put. That's your core. Maybe Chisenhall.

Masterson will cost a pretty penny...more than Shields and probably similar to Johnson. Some teams might actually value him more because of his sinker, his history of being a workhorse and his friendlier contract, even though he doesn't have the big name, everyone around baseball knows him.

if i was an indians fan i'd be pretty pissed off.

antonetti/shapiro seem to need very little motivation to sell off. almost the anti-kenny inasmuch as they are forever trading top guys away for good prospects. but every time those prospects prove themselves on the major league level, they get dealt for more prospects and the process repeats itself.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
if i was an indians fan i'd be pretty pissed off.

They are. Particularly while watching the Sox success.

In general, they have very knowledgeable fans... above average knowledge of Sabr stats, etc.

And they are irritated as hell watching Antonini/Shapiro get pantsed by KW.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:06 AM)

:lolhitting

Greg, that is terrible reasoning. Perhaps he wasn't on the block because it was clearly an anomalous season?

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:25 PM)

In general, they have very knowledgeable fans... above average knowledge of Sabr stats, etc.

yeah, i live in ohio and hear about it plenty. my facebook feed last night was full of anger and resentment when the choo stuff surfaced.

if the indians weren't among my least favorite teams, i'd probably feel a little more sympathy.

i wonder if perez will have more to say about it being the fans' fault.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)

You still chatting them up over at Scout, Patrick?

What are their feelings about Mr Williams these days?

Another question I had...any of them starting to grow impatient with Santana?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
I dont get the respect for Indians fans, I've found them to be terrible and knowledge-less. Booing Jim Thome is exhibit A.

The Thome thing would make a good subject for a sociology doctoral thesis.

Have engaged in many Tribe fans on this topic.

It's a love/hate thing. Too many parts to make a simple analysis.

The easiest way to describe it is abandonment by family member who tells you they love you and will never leave you... and then takes off in the middle of the night. The bitterness the Tribe fans show tells you how attached they were to him. They felt he betrayed them. Not necessarily rational, but emotional issues seldom are.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
The Thome thing would make a good subject for a sociology doctoral thesis.

Have engaged in many Tribe fans on this topic.

It's a love/hate thing. Too many parts to make a simple analysis.

The easiest way to describe it is abandonment by family member who tells you they love you and will never leave you... and then takes off in the middle of the night. The bitterness the Tribe fans show tells you how attached they were to him. They felt he betrayed them. Not necessarily rational, but emotional issues seldom are.

Its very similar to the Buehrle situation for us. Our org basically made zero offer and he left for an actual large payday.

Thome did the same and they booed him relentlessly. I would NEVER boo Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
Its very similar to the Buehrle situation for us. Our org basically made zero offer and he left for an actual large payday.

Thome did the same and they booed him relentlessly. I would NEVER boo Mark Buehrle.

Might have been a slight diff in that Thome *might* have been worth that money. I love MB, but he isn't worth that contract.

If not for some miraculous 1 run victories in the 1st half of the season (including walk-off wins), this probably would've come up sooner. And despite the fact that they're a young team, they always seem to be battling lots of injuries. Still, I really thought that win over Verlander was going to put them on a winning streak.