Tribe Turning Into Sellers

Noonskadoodle

The Indians would be crazy to trade Choo.

If they can't afford to pay him $7.6 million, Dolan should just sell off.

Santana, by the way, has been MUCH better the last month, but his first 3 months were Beckham-esque, and considered he was considered a future hitting superstar, along with Hosmer, lots of disappointment in KC and CLE over those two guys.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
Its very similar to the Buehrle situation for us. Our org basically made zero offer and he left for an actual large payday.

Thome did the same and they booed him relentlessly. I would NEVER boo Mark Buehrle.

Well... not really comparable.

The Tribe said they were interested in re-signing Thome. (Not sure how serious... But that is part of the equation)

Thome proclaimed during the negotiation process that it wasn't about the money... That he loved playing in Cleveland and that "they'd have to tear the jersey off my back" to get him to leave.

Then he left because Philly offered him one year more guaranteed on his contract.

So... it was about the money. And fans saw him as a liar and hypocrit.

He would have been better off if he never opened his mouth.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)

The Tribe said they were interested in re-signing Thome. (Not sure how serious... But that is part of the equation)

Thome proclaimed during the negotiation process that it wasn't about the money... That he loved playing in Cleveland and that "they'd have to tear the jersey off my back" to get him to leave.

Then he left because Philly offered him one year more guaranteed on his contract.

Mark echoed similar senitments during his time in Chicago and also ended up chasing the money, slightly hypocritical as well.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:50 AM)
It amazes me how teams sign guys in the offseason to huge deals, then once reality sets in and the team is five or more games out at the trading deadline, the teams try like crazy to get rid of the contracts. Wild.

See Miami Marlins, circa 2012.

Don't know how some GM's justify their existence to their owners.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)

Also playing for division rivals. What if MB signed with the Tigers this year? Some love would be lost.

JR told MB to sign that contract. MB will be welcomed back to this organization in some capacity after the Marlins.

I don't understand the booing of Thome. Maybe not cheering...but still he did so much for the Clevelanders. Not even close to having as bad an exit as King James. lol.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)

Yeah, their "offer" was about as serious as the money the Sox offered Buehrle. They made a bulls*** offer and then after the fact made statements that were against what they actually did.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
The Indians would be crazy to trade Choo.

If they can't afford to pay him $7.6 million, Dolan should just sell off.

Santana, by the way, has been MUCH better the last month, but his first 3 months were Beckham-esque, and considered he was considered a future hitting superstar, along with Hosmer, lots of disappointment in KC and CLE over those two guys.

The concussion Santana had early in the year really effected majority of his season. Carlos Santana is finally putting his bat together the last month. Santana is still a stud who gets on base on a ton with his keen batting eye. Future is still very bright.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
How do you know no one tried to trade for him?

Because KW would have dumped him in about 10 seconds. No way he would have stuck by Dunn. Do you remember how bad he was a year ago? No way at the time Kenny would have though, "This season is an anomaly. He will lose 15 pounds this winter and work out harder and return to the Dunn of old next year and we'll gladly pay him." Kenny would have dumped that contract if anybody wanted him. At least that is my strong opinion.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Because KW would have dumped him in about 10 seconds. No way he would have stuck by Dunn. Do you remember how bad he was a year ago? No way at the time Kenny would have though, "This season is an anomaly. He will lose 15 pounds this winter and work out harder and return to the Dunn of old next year and we'll gladly pay him." Kenny would have dumped that contract if anybody wanted him. At least that is my strong opinion.

It may be your strong opinion, but I disagree.....strongly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)

Strong opinion or not, I disagree. Now, everyone is available at one time or another (for the most part). But, KW would not have "dumped" Dunn is someone just wanted to take on the contract. He would have demanded something in return AND the trading team to take on most/all of the contract. And there was much more evidence that 2011 was an anomaly vs. it being the way Adam Dunn was going to hit for the rest of his career.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
Strong opinion or not, I disagree. Now, everyone is available at one time or another (for the most part). But, KW would not have "dumped" Dunn is someone just wanted to take on the contract. He would have demanded something in return AND the trading team to take on most/all of the contract. And there was much more evidence that 2011 was an anomaly vs. it being the way Adam Dunn was going to hit for the rest of his career.

If someone had been willing to take on his contract, he would have dumped him. There was no guarantee that he was going to recover this year. It looks good in hindsight, sure, but if someone was willing to pick him up without the sox assuming money, he would have been long gone.

But nobody would have taken that contract.

We could still have a huge debate over whether someone would take Rios' contract (because of his age and his every other year tendencies) just assuming the contract alone. And he's arguably our best player right now. Certainly best all-around player.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
But nobody would have taken that contract.

We could still have a huge debate over whether someone would take Rios' contract (because of his age and his every other year tendencies) just assuming the contract alone. And he's arguably our best player right now. Certainly best all-around player.

That doesn't mean no one asked about him. That means no one was willing to take him on for 4/$42.

For all I know, someone could have said "yes, I'll take Dunn on if you pay 1/2 of that" and the Sox would still have said no, because they weren't in a position to come up with $21 million for a guy not playing for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
That doesn't mean no one asked about him. That means no one was willing to take him on for 4/$42.

For all I know, someone could have said "yes, I'll take Dunn on if you pay 1/2 of that" and the Sox would still have said no, because they weren't in a position to come up with $21 million for a guy not playing for them.

3/42