Ex-Sox Dan Evans talks about the Front Office at deadline time

southsider2k5

That is a great point he brought up about adding a SP....yes, it may only be for 10-12 starts, but it can affect all the other starters in the rotation to give them more favorable matchups for the remainder of the season as well.

It is humbling to be in the race, trying to add pieces to your big-league team, when your minor-league system does not have the resources to land an intended target. One year, a club reviewed the team I was working for and said, "We don't like any of your players in a deal for our guy." I used that as motivation to improve our minor-league system in the future, but those words stung at the time and in fact proved true, as our lack of attractive minor-league talent prevented us from making any significant deals.

Hmm, wonder who that team was Danny...

As names got tossed around, their scouting reports get examined, as do their statistics. Who wrote the report? When did the scout see the player? You can always find numbers that reflect either positively or negatively on a player. Everyone has their own stats they like best, and I am no exception. The key is to use similar measures to compare players, and every team has its own favorite tools. I have been a SABR member for over 30 years and started in an extremely progressive White Sox organization , so I have been using some stats for an extended period.

That was an interesting quote that stood out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
That was an interesting quote that stood out.

I was curious how long that would take to get pointed out. I couldn't figure out if that was a slap at the organization for the way it was before, or it was a full complement to the team.