Santiago was sent down

SOXOBAMA

this better mean they are putting him in the rotation in AAA, I still see some promising upside in Hector and want him starting. If he goes into the bullpen that just does not make sense to me bc he should be here over septimo if hector is pitching out of the pen at charlotte

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
How could he be out of options if he started the year in the minors?

If he were out of options, and the Sox try to send him down again, he would have to clear waivers. It could very well be at the beginning of the year that he cleared waivers as no one was willing to carry him on their 25 man roster.

I was a bit surprised by this move at this time. Earlier in the season I thought Hector should be sent down as he was not performing well. However, he had sort of righted the ship. Anyway, I tend to agree with others here that Santigao needs to be stretched out to start

Probably the best move. Septimo is an actual LOOGY, which they needed. Santiago will likely be a starter in the future, and had control issues.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Charlotte needs Santiago in their rotation. Septimo was originally acquired off waivers from Arizona. They designated him for assignment last summer. Not sure about his options.

What Charlotte needs in their rotation is pretty much irrelevant.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Septimo is out of options I believe.

This was suggested a while back, and pretty well debunked. He's never seen the majors, and never seen the 25-man before this year. and the option "Clock" in terms of service time wasn't turned on yet either. This will be his first option year, unless someone can show me otherwise.

Septimo was added to Arizona's 40 man roster on 11/20/2008, so this should be his fourth season on a 40 man roster unless we took him off it at some point last year. Since he's also spent 20 days in the minors in each of these seasons, he should have burnt his third and final option at the end of last season.

Now, there is a chance he meets the criteria for a fourth option, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what I can tell. Also, I'm not sure what happens with his option status since technically we resigned him this offseason as a minor league free agent. My guess is he out of options.