Santiago was sent down

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
He should watch hours and hours of tape of Johan Santana. Very similar build/wind-up.

That's what I thought last year, too.

I remember starting a thread after he relieved those two times and was great about him being a starter this year.

Off a bit on that one...but Cooper really likes Santiago, they're both Brooklyn/NJ guys. Ozzie didn't really like Hector and wanted to use veteran pitchers as much as possible.

Similar FB, 91-92-93 as a starter...needs to develop that change-up or screwball or some other offspeed pitch in the high 70's/low 80's that he can throw with confidence. Otherwise, he's another of our "pump fastball after fastball" bullpen guys who can rarely get their breaking stuff across the plate.

It's simple:

An option was used in '08, '09 and '11, using up his 3 options. To earn a 4th option year he'd have to have less than 5 years professional experience; he's been around since '05 so this does not apply.

The Sox claimed him off waivers last season and outrighted him to AA, in the offseason he was signed to a minor league contract so they were able to outright him to the minors during spring training without having to put him on waivers.

The Sox added him to the 40 man roster at the end of June and now that he's in the bigs and out of options he would have to clear waivers to be sent down.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Septimo was added to Arizona's 40 man roster on 11/20/2008, so this should be his fourth season on a 40 man roster unless we took him off it at some point last year. Since he's also spent 20 days in the minors in each of these seasons, he should have burnt his third and final option at the end of last season.

Now, there is a chance he meets the criteria for a fourth option, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what I can tell. Also, I'm not sure what happens with his option status since technically we resigned him this offseason as a minor league free agent. My guess is he out of options.

Yeah, you use an option each time you are on the 40 man roster, and are sent to the minors during a season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
I actually really like Hector's upside, I think he can be a quality starter for us at some point

So do I. The kid just needs innings. As much as I think he could help in our pen at times, I think he will help way more in the future if he is pitching every 5th day.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
Glad he's being stretched out. I think There will be plenty of slots in the 2013 rotation. He could easily slide into that 4/5 spot if he can work the on the offspeed pitches...

I'm thinking the need for another starter may be much sooner than 2013!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Septimo was added to Arizona's 40 man roster on 11/20/2008, so this should be his fourth season on a 40 man roster unless we took him off it at some point last year. Since he's also spent 20 days in the minors in each of these seasons, he should have burnt his third and final option at the end of last season.

Now, there is a chance he meets the criteria for a fourth option, but that doesn't appear to be the case from what I can tell. Also, I'm not sure what happens with his option status since technically we resigned him this offseason as a minor league free agent. My guess is he out of options.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 06:49 PM)
It's simple:

An option was used in '08, '09 and '11, using up his 3 options. To earn a 4th option year he'd have to have less than 5 years professional experience; he's been around since '05 so this does not apply.

The Sox claimed him off waivers last season and outrighted him to AA, in the offseason he was signed to a minor league contract so they were able to outright him to the minors during spring training without having to put him on waivers.

The Sox added him to the 40 man roster at the end of June and now that he's in the bigs and out of options he would have to clear waivers to be sent down.

Why would AZ have put Septimo on their 40 man roster in 2008? He only had 3 years' minor league service time at that point, and was never in the majors, so there was no reason to do that. That just doesn't add up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Why would AZ have put Septimo on their 40 man roster in 2008? He only had 3 years' minor league service time at that point, and was never in the majors, so there was no reason to do that. That just doesn't add up.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/p...sp&c_id=ari

BR has his minor league service time at 8 years going into 2012, that would put him at 5 years after '08 (he was signed in '03 originally, I assume he played in the DWL) and he was added to the 40 man after the '08 season in typical protect-a-player-from-the-rule-v-draft fashion. His contract history has him making $400K in '09 which was the minimum for a player on the 40 man at the time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
This was suggested a while back, and pretty well debunked. He's never seen the majors, and never seen the 25-man before this year. and the option "Clock" in terms of service time wasn't turned on yet either. This will be his first option year, unless someone can show me otherwise.

So well debunked that it's actually true.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)

Mark Gonzalez confirmed it in today's Tribune. Septimo is out of options and would have to clear waivers to be sent back down to AAA. Unfortunately, there is almost no chance he would clear waivers. Given the lack of quality LH pitching, some team would take a chance on him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/p...sp&c_id=ari

BR has his minor league service time at 8 years going into 2012, that would put him at 5 years after '08 (he was signed in '03 originally, I assume he played in the DWL) and he was added to the 40 man after the '08 season in typical protect-a-player-from-the-rule-v-draft fashion. His contract history has him making $400K in '09 which was the minimum for a player on the 40 man at the time.

I only see his US minor league play, if he played 2 or 3 seasons in the Dominican, does that count as minor league service time? I guess it must, otherwise AZ wouldn't have needed to protect him.

I had assumed (obviously incorrectly) that those DSL/DWL leagues weren't really regular service time.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
So well debunked that it's actually true.

Which is why I said "unless someone can show me otherwise" (which Kalapse did), sarcasmo.