Safeco Field

IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
To piggyback off SnB's thread, I'll be there in a couple weeks.

Food/bar/seating recs?

Or any other general Seattle recs?

Send Sqwert a PM...he's been there a few times since moving to the Emerald City.

Two Words = Garlic. Fries.

Best I've ever had. Also, they have Fat Tire on tap.

My girlfriend is from Seattle so I've been a few times, and it's easily my favorite ballpark I've ever been too. I don't think there's a bad seat in the house. You'll wanna hope the roof is open, but even if it's not it's such a gorgeous park.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
Oh God. I went to a Bears/Seahawks game at Qwest, and everybody was eating the garlic fries. I'm a big fan, but holy hell did it f***ing stink.

That would be heaven to me. One of my all time favorite smells

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
Two Words = Garlic. Fries.

Best I've ever had. Also, they have Fat Tire on tap.

My girlfriend is from Seattle so I've been a few times, and it's easily my favorite ballpark I've ever been too. I don't think there's a bad seat in the house. You'll wanna hope the roof is open, but even if it's not it's such a gorgeous park.

Can't disagree with anything said here. Garlic fries are fantastic, all the seats are great and top notch beer on tap. Definitely would be nice if the roof were open when you attend. Try to roam around and check out the park. Lots of cool things to see and a wide variety of food all over the place.

If you're going on a weeknight, traffic is atrocious in Seattle so maybe try leaving a bit early if possible. Weekends aren't as bad.

Don't know much about you Illini so give me some ideas on what you like to do and I can come up with some suggestions. Tons of nearby hikes, great restaurants, water sports, etc. Heck, maybe I'll meet you up for a beer at the game. Which game are you targeting?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Can't disagree with anything said here. Garlic fries are fantastic, all the seats are great and top notch beer on tap. Definitely would be nice if the roof were open when you attend. Try to roam around and check out the park. Lots of cool things to see and a wide variety of food all over the place.

If you're going on a weeknight, traffic is atrocious in Seattle so maybe try leaving a bit early if possible. Weekends aren't as bad.

Don't know much about you Illini so give me some ideas on what you like to do and I can come up with some suggestions. Tons of nearby hikes, great restaurants, water sports, etc. Heck, maybe I'll meet you up for a beer at the game. Which game are you targeting?

Just watch out for Jamie Wright while you're there. He kills people!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
Have you been to the stinking rose or whatever the place is called in LA?

I know it and have driven by it several times but never eaten there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)

Thanks for the good info.

I will absolutely get the garlic fries, among I'm sure plenty of other things.

We're looking at that Monday game 8/13. I'm not exactly sure where we are staying (I'll find this out), we'll have a rental car but if there's a way to take public transportation we'll probably try to do that. Not sure how possible that is, haven't investigated at all.

Any particular suggestions for beer on tap there?

I know we're doing the pike tour, the underground tour...wife's planning a few other things. Heard the needle isn't a "must" and not all that worth it(?).

Not sure where we have dinner planned but open to suggestions for that or for lunches, etc. We're open to some active kind of activities or even just fun places to go walk around.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)

We're looking at that Monday game 8/13. I'm not exactly sure where we are staying (I'll find this out), we'll have a rental car but if there's a way to take public transportation we'll probably try to do that. Not sure how possible that is, haven't investigated at all.

I know we're doing the pike tour, the underground tour...wife's planning a few other things. Heard the needle isn't a "must" and not all that worth it(?).

Not sure where we have dinner planned but open to suggestions for that or for lunches, etc. We're open to some active kind of activities or even just fun places to go walk around.

Your public transit option to the game is taking the bus. Bus service is pretty reliable here.

I honestly can't remember all of the draft beer options at the park so you'll just have to see when you get there. I'm a big Fat Tire guy so I typically stick with that.

I haven't been to the needle and have no interest in going. My wife went with a friend and said it was ok but I'd probably skip it. I think it's $20/person so it doesn't seem worth it.

Being vegan it's hard to recommend food but a lot of people rave about Serious Pie downtown. It's a fancy pizza place. Might be worth a try.

If you have a couple hours I'd go check out Discovery Park. It's a enormous park in the city and you can do a really nice and easy hike. On a clear day you'll see Mt Rainer and the Olympic Mountains. You can also go down to the shoreline at one point and walk over to a lighthouse. We spotted some bald eagles in the park last time we were there.

I'll poll some of my friends on food spots and check back in.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
Your public transit option to the game is taking the bus. Bus service is pretty reliable here.

I honestly can't remember all of the draft beer options at the park so you'll just have to see when you get there. I'm a big Fat Tire guy so I typically stick with that.

I haven't been to the needle and have no interest in going. My wife went with a friend and said it was ok but I'd probably skip it. I think it's $20/person so it doesn't seem worth it.

Being vegan it's hard to recommend food but a lot of people rave about Serious Pie downtown. It's a fancy pizza place. Might be worth a try.

If you have a couple hours I'd go check out Discovery Park. It's a enormous park in the city and you can do a really nice and easy hike. On a clear day you'll see Mt Rainer and the Olympic Mountains. You can also go down to the shoreline at one point and walk over to a lighthouse. We spotted some bald eagles in the park last time we were there.

I'll poll some of my friends on food spots and check back in.

They have Field Roast at the Park now don't they??

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Oh God. I went to a Bears/Seahawks game at Qwest, and everybody was eating the garlic fries. I'm a big fan, but holy hell did it f***ing stink.

Did you go to the 2009 game?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)

It's pretty expensive and not that worth it.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
Lived in Seattle for 13 years, the park is freaking great. Make sure you check out Pike Place market in Seattle, and make sure you go into the back and see all of the backwards ass stands. You find some cool s*** there.

I've been to Seattle three times, and I saw a game there. I got lucky enough to see Santana vs Felix, which was great.

Seattle is my favorite city. Just walking around downtown and having a dinner on the ocean is wonderful. Everyone seems so nice as well. The park is beautiful.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I was curious because I was also at that game.

Sweet. It was a fun time. The whole 12th Man leads to a solid homefield advantage, but some of those fans take way over the top. I did get very drunk at Fuel after the game which was solid.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Sweet. It was a fun time. The whole 12th Man leads to a solid homefield advantage, but some of those fans take way over the top. I did get very drunk at Fuel after the game which was solid.

I went to Lucas Oil opening night in 2008 when the Bears played there and won, and Qwest was even louder. I thought the whole 12th man thing was going to be a joke, and despite the drunken idiots that you mentioned, that place gets insanely loud. I'm aware that some of that is pumped in, but I went from week 2 at home vs Pittsburgh to Qwest in week 3, and Soldier Field is like a funeral home compared to that place.

• 1 month later...