White Sox vs. Twins 8/1/12

Quin

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
Nice use of the change-up there, Addison.

Got him off your fastball.

I think I might prefer bringing back Bobby Jenks as closer.

Really. He gives up one hit and struck out a guy (but the ump blew the call) but it was a rollercoaster. Good lord, unless someone is consistently getting 1-2-3 innings, they suck on this site.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
Reed is learning.

He's pretty fearless.

And I think the experience he's getting under pressure will page huge dividends later in the season.

He needs to learn how to pitch. He's been a thrower this year and with the stuff he has that's understandable. But he's starting to use the changeup much more effectively and that's good to see.

The reason he's been shaky lately is that he hasn't been able to use the slider effectively. He's pretty much been a one pitch pitcher for the last month. His slider's just not enticing for guys to chase now that there's a scouting report on him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
He needs to learn how to pitch. He's been a thrower this year and with the stuff he has that's understandable. But he's starting to use the changeup much more effectively and that's good to see.

The reason he's been shaky lately is that he hasn't been able to use the slider effectively. He's pretty much been a one pitch pitcher for the last month. His slider's just not enticing for guys to chase now that there's a scouting report on him.

He has plus control for someone his age. Nothing about him screams "thrower" to me. In fact, I think as he gains experience and the team gains further comfort of his use of off-speed stuff, you'll really see him develop. He has pretty clean mechanics and the makings of 2 good secondary pitches (slider & change).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
He has plus control for someone his age. Nothing about him screams "thrower" to me. In fact, I think as he gains experience and the team gains further comfort of his use of off-speed stuff, you'll really see him develop. He has pretty clean mechanics and the makings of 2 good secondary pitches (slider & change).

He has decent control on his fastball, that much is true. But he's thrown his fastball 78% this year. That just screams thrower (at least in my definition of what a thrower is).

He needs more variety, that's all I was saying.

It seems that it's been a long ass time since Reed had a 1-2-3 inning. His control is good, doesn't walk a lot of people, but he seems extremely hittable out there. 35 hits in 38 innings against him, that's not the typical peripheral for a young closer who throws hard.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
He has decent control on his fastball, that much is true. But he's thrown his fastball 78% this year. That just screams thrower (at least in my definition of what a thrower is).

He needs more variety, that's all I was saying.

And Rivera throws almost all fastballs too, doesn't make him a thrower. A thrower is a guy that has no idea where anything is going to go and no general understanding of pitching. Nothing about Reed screams out like that. I think part of this is more the fact that he's young and they are still working with him on his secondary stuff and AJ just doesn't call the other stuff as much. To be frank, I think AJ needs to do a better job calling for better pitch/location differentiation (as I wouldn't expect a rookie to be calling off the veteran catcher very often).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
And Rivera throws almost all fastballs too, doesn't make him a thrower. A thrower is a guy that has no idea where anything is going to go and no general understanding of pitching. Nothing about Reed screams out like that. I think part of this is more the fact that he's young and they are still working with him on his secondary stuff and AJ just doesn't call the other stuff as much. To be frank, I think AJ needs to do a better job calling for better pitch/location differentiation (as I wouldn't expect a rookie to be calling off the veteran catcher very often).

It looks as if Flwoers called for quite a few offspeed pitches from Reed in the 9th. Reed's two biggest weaknesses on the mound right now are his unability to effective throw to the different quadrants, as almost everything is at the belt unless it's a change-up. As for his slider, he's not getting a lot of outs with it as he's starting it over the plate and hitters are letting it slide right out of the zone for a ball. I'd like to see him tweak his slider to try and get more downward movement/tilt.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
It looks as if Flwoers called for quite a few offspeed pitches from Reed in the 9th. Reed's two biggest weaknesses on the mound right now are his unability to effective throw to the different quadrants, as almost everything is at the belt unless it's a change-up. As for his slider, he's not getting a lot of outs with it as he's starting it over the plate and hitters are letting it slide right out of the zone for a ball. I'd like to see him tweak his slider to try and get more downward movement/tilt.

I've really liked what I've seen from Flowers. I think he has a future as a solid everyday catcher.