Abreu, Fontenot Superthread

Y2Jimmy0

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/dodg...assignment.html

The Dodgers announced that they designated Bobby Abreu for assignment. The move creates room for Shane Victorino on Los Angeles' active roster.

The Angels released Abreu in April after a disappointing opening month, and the Dodgers signed him to a minor league deal a week later. Though Abreu's power has disappeared, he continues to get on base at an above-average rate. The 38-year-old has posted a .246/.347/.340 batting line in 236 total plate appearances this year. The 17-year MLB veteran earns a $9MM salary, but any team can sign him for a pro-rated portion of the MLB minimum if he reaches free agency.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/phil...assignment.html

The Phillies announced that they designated infielder Mike Fontenot for assignment. The move creates roster space for utility player Michael Martinez, who has been recalled from Triple-A.

Fontenot, 32, has a .289/.343/.340 batting line in 105 plate appearances this year. He has split his time between second and third since signing a minor league deal with Philadelphia in April. Fontenot could interest teams seeking infield depth as a potential trade candidate.

Will the White Sox have any interest in Mike Fontenot? He is not very good but is better than Ray Olmedo and has played SS in the past. Abreu is of no interest to the White Sox anymore but I would think that Detroit should be interested.

3:18 [Comment From bkcbkc: ]

With Mike Fontenot being dfa'ed should the Reds go after him?

Wednesday August 1, 2012 3:18 bkc

3:19 Ben Nicholson-Smith: I can see Fontenot being a fit for the Rangers, Nationals or White Sox

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
I think I would rather pick up Dewayne Wise instead. Plays better D, can play all over the outfield, left bat, and can steal a base.

This would be for offense mainly. Pinch hitting. Abreu is a better hitter than Wise. And Kenny has always wanted Abreu. KW always gets his guy....5 years later.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
This would be for offense mainly. Pinch hitting. Abreu is a better hitter than Wise. And Kenny has always wanted Abreu. KW always gets his guy....5 years later.

Robin rarely has anyone pinch hit. It's hard to carry an extra outfielder who's duty is to pinch hit while going with a 6 man rotation. There's just no room..

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
Robin rarely has anyone pinch hit. It's hard to carry an extra outfielder who's duty is to pinch hit while going with a 6 man rotation. There's just no room..

Hudson is sitting around doing nothing right now. Could be used as a pinch hitter for Beckham.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
Hudson is sitting around doing nothing right now. Could be used as a pinch hitter for Beckham.

When you do things like this, carrying around a no-defense OF/DH/Pinch hitter that cannot run anymore, you get screwed over late in games. Thanks but no thanks, maybe 4 years ago

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
Possibly Damon? Nothing official. But Cleve's might release the Caveman. Good friends with AJ

This is the EXACT SAME ISSUE.

The sox need to replace Olmedo. Not Danks.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:58 PM)
Well Blum is available to replace Olmedo. I am talking about players to replace Hudson. Jordan Dunks is untouchable right now.

if you are talking about players to replace Hudson, why did you name two outfielders?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
if you are talking about players to replace Hudson, why did you name two outfielders?

Because I read somewhere that KW was looking for a LH bat off the bench. If you find a guy like Uribe or Blum who can backup 2b, Ss, and 3b then you could carry another OF.

Just talking about the bench. No much you can really do now. Just try to make minor improvements. Not like I am going to agonize over missing out of any of these bench guys. Lol.

Abreu should clear waivers since he is being paid a ton by the Angels. Dude can still hit. a veteran bat might not be a bad thing.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
Let's be honest, when Lillibridge was here, he was more the 5th outfielder, than backup infielder. no?

Kinda crazy that we had to trade Escobar and Lillibridge recently. Of course, it was worth it to trade them both. But now we need a super sub. Not much out there and other teams are going to be looking for the same thing.