Another WHITE SOX WINNER!!

cabiness42

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple, the team with the best record against the the division is going to win the division. Beating the Royals and Twins is just as important as the Tigers.

Think of it this way, if they Sox won 2 of 3 against Detroit then got swept by the Twins would you be okay with it cause you beat the Tigers? I sure wouldn't.

Losing to Minnesota and KC at crucial times the last few years has contributed big time to the Sox not winning the division.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
Okay, by my count, this is the 6th time we've been to 10 games over.

Let's beat Greinke, and do it in front of a sellout crowd, to boot.

If the Tigers lose it will also tie the biggest division lead that we have had this year... which we have had many times.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Okay, by my count, this is the 6th time we've been to 10 games over.

Let's beat Greinke, and do it in front of a sellout crowd, to boot.

That's the hump they can't seem to get over. 10 up is the highest they've been this season. Gotta change that this weekend...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
He gave up 1 hit and got 4 outs in the inning.

A double and a walk and two stolen bases and put the tying and winning runs in scoring position. But, getting 4 outs in an inning is good. Sorry I miss your point

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
A double and a walk and two stolen bases and put the tying and winning runs in scoring position. But, getting 4 outs in an inning is good. Sorry I miss your point

The double was a bloop that should have been a single at worst, and the ump squeezed him with Valencia. He pitched well today, end of story IMO.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
The double was a bloop that should have been a single at worst, and the ump squeezed him with Valencia. He pitched well today, end of story IMO.

This 100%. It should be an automatic response to anyone who just looks at the box score.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Yeah, blowing that save sucked.

Read my post and then make your comment in response. Yes, he got the save and that's great. But, a closer comes in and shuts the door. You can't keep living on the edge casue it will come back to bite you

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:39 PM)
This 100%. It should be an automatic response to anyone who just looks at the box score.

Read the box score and all you see is numbers. I don't much carfe if it was a bloop or not it was ahit and then there was a walk and two stolen bases

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
Read the box score and you and all you see is numbers.

You miss out on the fact that if Rios isn't playing in a no doubles set he makes the catch of the "double" as a routine fly ball. Even with his positioning he took a dive that he should have instead pulled up an played on a bounce to keep the runner at first.

You also miss that Reed had the next batter struck out not once, but twice. Once on a check swing that the ump had rung up someone on earlier in the game, and once on a ball on the corner that the ump flat out missed.

Reed didn't pitch badly at all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Read the box score and all you see is numbers. I don't much carfe if it was a bloop or not it was ahit and then there was a walk and two stolen bases

Thats the problem with the box score. Either way look at the stats and he has a good WHIP and good strikeout to IP ratio.

One area we got totally schooled with this series was the Twins running with abandon.

Tyler got a CS, but our pitchers just haven't been giving the catchers a chance most of the time...recently.

Liriano was noticeably bad at this, and Gardenhire knew to exploit that weakness. Not to mention he got rattled after the 2 SB in the 6th.

Alexei and Beckham need to get together...Tyler wanted to throw at the back end of the double steal and nobody was there to take the throw and they were both glancing at each other with a befuddled look on their faces.

Congrats Jake, an amazing 21/22 in QS. You're earning your paycheck this year, no doubt about it. And another good-sized contract, somewhere. Tyler is starting to get on base with more frequency, so the time that AJ missed raised his game. Not to mention VERY smart base-running for someone not known for their speed.

DeAza Rules.

I think we need to revisit the "no doubles" defense. Joe Maddon hates it...like the prevent in the NFL. It seems to backfire a lot. Many balls have dropped in front of DeAza in particular because of that shift. Happened with Rios again today.

Edited by caulfield12

Predictable open firing here on Reed, but really he's a closer and I don't have expectations for him to be 'special'

There are some elite closers but we have just another one of those guys who walks a tightrope.

The nice thing about Reed though is capacity for improvement, which you can't say about the other guys. Everyone here would love an elite guy to materialize, but you have to sometimes take some lumps to get to that point. The whole Jenks thing in '05 spoiled everyone and deluded many

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Pretty good that the Tigers have only gained 2 games in the standings over the last 23, with them having a 13-2 run, and sweeping the Sox.

August 1st, 2010

White Sox 59-45

Twins 59-46 1/2 GB

We didn't surrender the lead for good that year until AUG 12, but then it REALLY got away from us like in a week, it was over.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
9-3 vs the Twinks so far. :headbang

Yay! I'll take 9 of 12 vs. KC and Minnie. That's the ticket to winning the division or part of the ticket. I wish we could shake Detroit. We're 10 over .500. 20 over would put the Tabbies in their place once and for all.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
Read my post and then make your comment in response. Yes, he got the save and that's great. But, a closer comes in and shuts the door. You can't keep living on the edge casue it will come back to bite you

Welcome to the world of Soxtalk.com controversy, elrockin. I always get into it with the folks on here; you never do. Now you are getting disagreed with. Welcome to the hot seat; I am enjoying being off the hot seat a while.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
Predictable open firing here on Reed, but really he's a closer and I don't have expectations for him to be 'special'

There are some elite closers but we have just another one of those guys who walks a tightrope.

The nice thing about Reed though is capacity for improvement, which you can't say about the other guys. Everyone here would love an elite guy to materialize, but you have to sometimes take some lumps to get to that point. The whole Jenks thing in '05 spoiled everyone and deluded many

I do not disagree with your observations. He hung in there and won the game.