What do you think of this idea....honorary World Series ring

sunofgold

Just thought of this idea while in the john. You always hear about how it is disappointing that certain outstanding, classy players never received a world series ring.

I thought about honorary degrees given out by colleges. How about something similar in baseball. However, to make it more fun than just giving it to the player why not figure out a way to have the recognized player play/coach for all 30 teams during one regular season.

For instance, we can use Jim Thome. in 2013, Thome spends at least one game on the active roster of every MLB team in baseball. To make this easier, maybe a rule change. You can have 26 guys on your roster if Thome is your 26th guy.

Can you imagine what an honor and how much fun a guy could have playing for every team and wearing every team's uniform. Interacting with every team's players, coaches, and fans.

I know that this idea would need somE improvements to it. But what do you think of the basic idea?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:22 PM)
Just thought of this idea while in the john. You always hear about how it is disappointing that certain outstanding, classy players never received a world series ring.

I thought about honorary degrees given out by colleges. How about something similar in baseball. However, to make it more fun than just giving it to the player why not figure out a way to have the recognized player play/coach for all 30 teams during one regular season.

For instance, we can use Jim Thome. in 2013, Thome spends at least one game on the active roster of every MLB team in baseball. To make this easier, maybe a rule change. You can have 26 guys on your roster if Thome is your 26th guy.

Can you imagine what an honor and how much fun a guy could have playing for every team and wearing every team's uniform. Interacting with every team's players, coaches, and fans.

I know that this idea would need somE improvements to it. But what do you think of the basic idea?

While I can appreciate the spirit behind this post .... NO. It would cheapen what having that world series winning ring means. They have an honor for great players that may have never won a ring. It's called the Hall Of Fame.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)

You need to earn a championship.

I like the idea but yes I think it takes the entire reason away for them to play those long careers. Im not going to blast you for this idea and say it is dumb because its not I like where your mind is at trying to do something for great players. A BETTER idea is why dont the Phillies put Thome on waivers and someone (Whitesox) pick him up and go back to a 5 man rotation after a little rest. Then we pick up a bench bat and only that. I know we need a util guy but come one its big JIM! Id love to see him back even if he just sat the bench like he is doing in Philly.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

This.

QUOTE (SnB @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)

That was on this morning and definitely the first thing that popped into my head upon reading this thread.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
One of my least favorite things about the 2005 Championship is that Frank Thomas' contributions were limited to 34 Games (23 H, 12 HR, 26 RBI), with none of those ABs coming anytime close to October. Can't imagine how bittersweet it must have been for him.

Still miss Frank. Had the honor of meeting him at one of his book signings. Great guy and pretty hilarious to if you get to talk to him for a minute. I was wearing a Pauly K jersey and he said man that guy is tearing it up this year. I could not hold myself back from saying ya well he learned from the best. Frank is MASSIVE by the way. May be drinking a little to much big hurt beer.

Edit* Not fat massive but just literally HUGE in general

Edited by Wagz

• 2 weeks later...

they already give too many rings out these days. they should trim it down some.

my uncle played for a team that won the World Series in the 80s. He had a W-L record but only had about 20+ innings out of relief for the first half of the season and the team voted on him getting a WS title watch instead.

Thanks for the feedback. I still think that it is a great idea but needs some tweaking. Didn't

players like Adkins and Casanova (pun intended) get rings for 2005.

This would be an honorary World Series ring for players like Thome. You could engrave the word HONORARY on the ring. Of course this ring would not leave the player feeling as great about it as much as being a starting player or contributor on the postseason roster of a team that wins the World Series.

It is like a honorary degree given by college. It is honorary. It is definitely a better and more rewarding experience to actually go to a school and complete the requirements to earn a degree. But still people are proud to receive honorary degree.

Also getting back to baseball it could be an honor and

fun for somebody like Thome who pretty much has been a great ambassador for baseball. Imagine how cool it would be to get an ovation from fans in every stadium in MLB. To put on the uniform of every team and be able to say that you played for every team. Seems like it would be an honor and fun for somebody like Thome.

It also would be great for the fans.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
they already give too many rings out these days. they should trim it down some.

my uncle played for a team that won the World Series in the 80s. He had a W-L record but only had about 20+ innings out of relief for the first half of the season and the team voted on him getting a WS title watch instead.

A WS title watch? Never heard of that. Your uncle should have gotten a ring. He did pitch 20+ innings. That is my opinion. They already are giving rings to players who are probably not the most deserving. Just on the right team at the right time. Timo Perez has at least 2 WS rings. Marte has 2, I think. I lose track and he almost pitched us to defeat in game 3 of ALDS even though he pitched okay in game 4 of the WS.