Cliff Lee on Waivers right now

southsider2k5

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bad feeling it is Detroit. Despite rumors that they are looking for another bat, this is what they need and what would make them very frightening. If it is them, I just hope Phillie pulls him back. On the other hand, if it's us, let us have him. Hell, it's not my money (directly at least).

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
I have a bad feeling it is Detroit. Despite rumors that they are looking for another bat, this is what they need and what would make them very frightening. If it is them, I just hope Phillie pulls him back. On the other hand, if it's us, let us have him. Hell, it's not my money (directly at least).

I hope it is Detroit and they have to deal with the rest of that contract.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
He can block trades to all but 8 clubs...

I've never figured out if that also means he can block a straight waiver claim.

The Phils will have about $123.5 million next year committed to Howard, Lee, Utley, Halladay, Hamels, Papelbon and Rollins. The next year, assuming they pick up Halladay's option, $92.5 million to Hamels, Howard, Lee, and Halladay.

I'd let him go.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
I hope it is Detroit and they have to deal with the rest of that contract.

Detroit is the worst possible team to claim him IMO. First, they're our only competition for the division this year and Lee would be a difference maker for them. Second, if any AL team can afford to take on that contract it's the Tigers. Not only is Illitch willing to spend, but I don't think they're near the luxury tax threshold and I believe they're receiving revenue sharing money. I don't see any positives from them grabbing him, unless you think he completely breaks down in the next year or two.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
Detroit is the worst possible team to claim him IMO. First, they're our only competition for the division this year and Lee would be a difference maker for them. Second, if any AL team can afford to take on that contract it's the Tigers. Not only is Illitch willing to spend, but I don't think they're near the luxury tax threshold and I believe they're receiving revenue sharing money. I don't see any positives from them grabbing him, unless you think he completely breaks down in the next year or two.

Claiming Lee would not put them over the tax threshold this year, but it would start making them dangerously close next year. Counting arbitration guys, they're currently sitting at about $135 million committed next year. Add in $25 million for Lee...and now they're at $160 million, with Delmon Young and Jose Valverde free agents this offseason (so, they need a closer at the very least).

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Cliff Lee Claimed On Waivers

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 3 at 3:46pm CST]

Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee has been claimed on waivers, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). The Phillies can now pull Lee back off of waivers, assign his contract to the team that won the claim, or work a trade out with the claiming team. Lee can block trades and claims to 21 teams, which could limit the Phillies' flexibility, depending on the identity of the claiming team.

How does it work if its a team he has no trade protection against if they just want him to be claimed? If I'm Philadelphia, I'd see if I could get something first and if not, I'd free myself up from the now $95 million in future committments to a 34 year old who seems to be going the wrong way and let him go.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 3, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
I've honestly not followed anything in the NL this year. Is Lee's issue poor run support this year?

He has an over .900 OPS against when pitching from the stretch. He hasn't been very good. I hope it is Detroit. It can't be the White Sox. If they don"t think Buehrle is worth $58 million, no way they gamble $95 million on Cliff Lee.