Los Medias Blancas vs. Los Angeles 8/4/12

Quin

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
I know you'll get blasted on here for saying that, but I'm beginning to agree with you. Viciedo just doesn't bring enough to the table against RHP right now. As for the bullpen, I wish Ventura had more confidence in letting Nate Jones start an inning. Two straight games where he left the starting pitcher in way too long and both times resulted in a Pujols homer.

Viciedo is far more valuable than Beckham is.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
I know you'll get blasted on here for saying that, but I'm beginning to agree with you. Viciedo just doesn't bring enough to the table against RHP right now. As for the bullpen, I wish Ventura had more confidence in letting Nate Jones start an inning. Two straight games where he left the starting pitcher in way too long and both times resulted in a Pujols homer.

But who exactly are we going to get?

We never made Dunn or Rios platoon players despite their struggles last year, it doesn't seem to be the answer to do that to a 23 year old if we want him to develop for the future.

The White Sox have been playing so well at home recently because of home runs, mostly. Putting Juan Pierre in LF is not only going to be pointless, it will scare Matt Thornton from ever pitching again in the 9th inning again if Juan is out there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 04:31 AM)
We never made Dunn or Rios platoon players despite their struggles last year, it doesn't seem to be the answer to do that to a 23 year old if we want him to develop for the future.

The White Sox have been playing so well at home recently because of home runs, mostly. Putting Juan Pierre in LF is not only going to be pointless, it will scare Matt Thornton from ever pitching again in the 9th inning if Juan is out there.

Honestly, I'd love to have Pierre on this roster right now so he could start a few games a week against tough RHP and to provide speed off the bench. However, I don't think the Sox would be interested in him again.

Thornton is still essentially a one pitch pitcher...and Reed has a better slider than Thornton's, but he still can't throw it very often when he needs it or when he's 2-1 or 2-0 or 3-1.

Myers is the only guy who can throw 3 pitches confidently for strikes. He'll get hit when he gets behind on the fastball, but that curveball is the great equalizer and nastier than Gavin's at times.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:28 AM)

Viciedo has so much raw hitting ability. It's frustrating that he isn't even better than he is. When he gets hot he's a thing of beauty to watch. He hits the ball so hard when he hits it. You almost have to keep playing him day after day year after year and see if he becomes more consistent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:35 PM)
Thornton is still essentially a one pitch pitcher...and Reed has a better slider than Thornton's, but he still can't throw it very often when he needs it or when he's 2-1 or 2-0 or 3-1.

Myers is the only guy who can throw 3 pitches confidently for strikes. He'll get hit when he gets behind on the fastball, but that curveball is the great equalizer and nastier than Gavin's at times.

If Danks isn't ready to start the year next year, I would put myers in the rotation and trade Floyd and sign Liriano depending on how he does the rest of the year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Honestly, I'd love to have Pierre on this roster right now so he could start a few games a week against tough RHP and to provide speed off the bench. However, I don't think the Sox would be interested in him again.

NOPE, too personal.

Ozzie's and KW's feud right there, all over again.

KW wanted Viciedo playing full-time from May on, Ozzie absolutely refused to bench Pierre and felt he would lose the respect of the veterans and essentially the entire team if did that to Juan.

That's where you had these brushfires with those two and also Walker, over Beckham, over Viciedo and to a lesser extent over the use of Hector Santiago.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:35 AM)

Thornton's slider has been more effective since the ASB than Reed's been, IMO. Thornton's big problem is his fastball has absolutely no zip to it, and he struggles to get the pitch up and in to righties (he used to be amazing at this).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:31 PM)
But who exactly are we going to get?

The White Sox have been playing so well at home recently because of home runs, mostly. Putting Juan Pierre in LF is not only going to be pointless, it will scare Matt Thornton from ever pitching again in the 9th inning if Juan is out there.

Player development takes a very distant back seat to post season baseball. In August and September that shouldn't even enter the discussion for a right-thinking franchise. Laugh all you want about Pierre, but slot his .381 obp behind De Aza and the lineup becomes more formidable.

QUOTE (Caesar @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
If Danks isn't ready to start the year next year, I would put myers in the rotation and trade Floyd and sign Liriano depending on how he does the rest of the year.

He's going to have to end up finishing 45 games for his option to get picked up.

If Reed blows a few more games, it's possible, as they will have to turn to Myers.

At least Crain has come around this last week after looking REALLY shaky last week.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
Player development takes a very distant back seat to post season baseball. In August and September that shouldn't even enter the discussion for a right-thinking franchise. Laugh all you want about Pierre, but slot his .381 obp behind De Aza and the lineup becomes more formidable.

And KW is more likely to bring his son up to start in LF for Viciedo than to bring back Juan Pierre.

In a billion years, it will never happen. Forget it.

We've been doing "development" with Gavin Floyd for 4 years now. And with Humber for a full season now of struggles. They're hurting the team just as much, if not more, than Viciedo and Beckham.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:34 AM)

I don't see why we need to add anybody else. On paper we have the talent. It's time we win series after series. No excuses. Just win series.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)

Your first sentence is 100% correct. I don't support Viciedo being a platoon player like you do, but I definitely believe that Danks and/or "waiver pickup" needs to be getting more at bats vs RHP.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)

I can't believe there are fellow Pierre lovers on here. It's surprising me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
And KW is more likely to bring his son up to start in LF for Viciedo than to bring back Juan Pierre.

In a billion years, it will never happen. Forget it.

I haven't heard of this controversy at all

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Isn't that exactly what we did? We got through 4 innings with no runs scored and 4.1 innings with 1 run scored.

I'm saying when the game gets to the 9th and it's tied, use your best reliever. What are you saving your closer for?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
Thornton's slider has been more effective since the ASB than Reed's been, IMO. Thornton's big problem is his fastball has absolutely no zip to it, and he struggles to get the pitch up and in to righties (he used to be amazing at this).

And it's as straight as a Billy Koch 2003 fastball to Carl Crawford.

Watching Blackburn or Greinke, it's amazing the difference in how their pitches move compared to Matt.

For whatever reason, I think Ventura's going to end up trusting Myers more in the end. If not for AJ throwing the ball down the line because the baserunner was in the way in the Twins' game, he wouldn't have any negative results so far with the Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 03:44 AM)
And it's as straight as a Billy Koch 2003 fastball to Carl Crawford.

Watching Blackburn or Greinke, it's amazing the difference in how their pitches move compared to Matt.

For whatever reason, I think Ventura's going to end up trusting Myers more in the end. If not for AJ throwing the ball down the line because the baserunner was in the way in the Twins' game, he wouldn't have any negative results so far with the Sox.

I think Myers would have lost anyway. He gave up a hard hit single to lead off the inning which put him behind the 8 ball.

Despite the struggles of the starting rotation and some hitters struggling, it's awesome to see the Sox fight so hard this year. Really exciting games of late, as this is the 5th straight game where the last batter of the game represented the tying or go-ahead run.