Another shooting

GoodAsGould

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
I know it's not right now. The Trayvon Martin thread was originally in slam. As was the chick-filet crap. You know it's coming. And all the usual suspects will be involved.

Huh. Did know those were in SLaM originally.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
The Trayvon thread was started in Filibuster. By me.

Then somebody else started one either before or after you and it got merged. I distinctly remember reading about it in Slam first. Oh, and let's not forget about the Gordon Beckham thread. It started out in PHT. It ended up in fili for I have no idea why. It's wasn't a big deal at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
Then somebody else started one either before or after you and it got merged. I distinctly remember reading about it in Slam first. Oh, and let's not forget about the Gordon Beckham thread. It started out in PHT. It ended up in fili for I have no idea why. It's wasn't a big deal at all.

The Getz is Gay one?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
Every time something bad happens to a gay guy, or a Muslum, or whoever, it isn't always because they are gay, or Muslim. Sometimes they are just assholes, or sometimes just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Seriously, what does the addition of hate crimes add to anything?

sometimes i doubt whether or not you're a human being.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
The Getz is Gay one?

The one about the #8 pick that bats .203 :)

I'm not sure what the confusion with hate crime/non-hate crime is. If there are clear indications that race/religion/sexual orientation etc. played a role in the crime, it's a hate crime. If it was a random act targeting whoever happens to be in the way, it's not. This particular shooting is very clearly a hate crime, while the Colorado theater shooting is not. Just because a victim is a certain religion or ethnicity doesn't automatically make it a hate crime. Some crimes just wouldn't have happened if it weren't for those afore-mentioned qualifiers.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
sometimes i doubt whether or not you're a human being.

Tell me what is the advantage or use of labeling this a hate crime. what does it do? does it make anyone undead? does it make them hurt less? It does nothing except to allieve some liberal guilt over whoever the perp was (usually white, if it is labeled a hate crime). So tell me, what is the whole point of hate crime laws? Really. And get off your high horse and answer with your head out of ass and use some facts, because emotion just doesn't win. Because I sometimes I doubt you can argue any point without trying to have your 'feelings' as the fact that decides it for you.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
The one about the #8 pick that bats .203 :)

I'm not sure what the confusion with hate crime/non-hate crime is. If there are clear indications that race/religion/sexual orientation etc. played a role in the crime, it's a hate crime. If it was a random act targeting whoever happens to be in the way, it's not. This particular shooting is very clearly a hate crime, while the Colorado theater shooting is not. Just because a victim is a certain religion or ethnicity doesn't automatically make it a hate crime. Some crimes just wouldn't have happened if it weren't for those afore-mentioned qualifiers.

So why is a hate crime any worse than a regular one? Again, are they more dead because he called them racial names when he shot them? He is allowed to hate them, he isn't allowed to kill them. You can't lock people up for thier thoughts, or you might as well put the big screen in your apartment for big brother to watch over you right now.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:28 PM)
So why is a hate crime any worse than a regular one? Again, are they more dead because he called them racial names when he shot them? He is allowed to hate them, he isn't allowed to kill them. You can't lock people up for thier thoughts, or you might as well put the big screen in your apartment for big brother to watch over you right now.

if it's racially/ethnically charged that means there's something WRONG in our national dialogue. hate crimes come from LEARNED beliefs. they had to learn them from somewhere.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
if it's racially/ethnically charged that means there's something WRONG in our national dialogue. hate crimes come from LEARNED beliefs. they had to learn them from somewhere.

And charging someone with a hate crime does WHAT!? Besides making you feel good.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)

Motive is already a factor, acting like this is revolutionary is hilarious.

50% of criminal prosecution is "mens rea" aka guilty mind, so should motive not be an element of criminal prosecution? It shouldnt matter what reason I killed someone, for example self-defense, because I wouldnt want the govt to read my thoughts.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:05 PM)
Motive is already a factor, acting like this is revolutionary is hilarious.

50% of criminal prosecution is "mens rea" aka guilty mind, so should motive not be an element of criminal prosecution? It shouldnt matter what reason I killed someone, for example self-defense, because I wouldnt want the govt to read my thoughts.

He shot and killed people. There are laws against that. He hated people. There are not laws against that. His 'hate' can be used to determine a motive, but why should his thoughts mean an additional crime?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
He shot and killed people. There are laws against that. He hated people. There are not laws against that. His 'hate' can be used to determine a motive, but why should his thoughts mean an additional crime?

Because hate is a motive, and motive can be a factor in how harsh the penalties are.

Are you arguing that it shouldnt be more of a penalty, or that its duplicative as a law and therefore unnecessary?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
So you are punishing bad thought. Great.

Bad thought is already punished.

Murder 1 v Murder 2.

Intentional arson versus non-intentional.

If I purposefully burnt down a school, shouldnt I be punished more than if I accidentally burnt down a school?

I really dont know where you are going with this.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
draw AWARENESS to it as a NATIONAL ISSUE.

you're just ... wow.

Next you are gonna break out "it's for the children...." Pass a law to raise awareness. And yes, I know they have been around, I have always thought they were stupid.