Report: Sox unlikely to pick up Youk's option

thedoctor

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
What will this team look like next year? Seems like a lot of guys are leaving

Think of it as the possibility of payroll flexibility to add some players via free agency. If you're referring to Peavy and Youk possibly leaving via FA, then I say "thanks for your performance in 2012" and gladly take the 31 million dollars and use it elsewhere.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Brent Morel is pleased.

Unless the Sox work out a deal with Youk.

As one of Morel's biggest defenders...right now I would have zero confidence starting the season with him at 3b next year. May as well trade away some of your bigger contracts like Konerko if you're taking that chance.

Here's the list of free agents.

Third basemen

Geoff Blum (39)

Miguel Cairo (39)

Eric Chavez (35)

Mark DeRosa (38)

Brandon Inge (36)

Maicer Izturis (32)

Jose Lopez (29)

Placido Polanco (37) - $5.5MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout

Mark Reynolds (29) - $11MM club option with a $500K buyout

Scott Rolen (38)

Mark Teahen (31)

Miguel Tejada (39)

Ty Wigginton (35) - $4MM club option with a $500K buyout

David Wright (30) - $16MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Kevin Youkilis (34) - $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Think of it as the possibility of payroll flexibility to add some players via free agency. If you're referring to Peavy and Youk possibly leaving via FA, then I say "thanks for your performance in 2012" and gladly take the 31 million dollars and use it elsewhere.

Not only them, but AJ and Beckham too. AJ might not leave but if it is just Peavy/Youk/Beckham, thats still a lot of holes in the rotation to fill

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Not only them, but AJ and Beckham too. AJ might not leave but if it is just Peavy/Youk/Beckham, thats still a lot of holes in the rotation to fill

How is Beckham leaving? It's his first arbitration year, right?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:04 PM)

I'll be stunned if AJ leaves. At this point, he seems to be in the "JR steps in to negotiate" range as PK and Buehrle were.

FWIW, Youk's been worth just over $5 million so far this year in fWAR's world. $16 million the 2 previous years...but you just can't guarantee he'll stay healthy for a year if that's the kind of performance you'd expect.

You can probably decline that option and still be able to sign him for something in the $8 million range.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
If he is gone, he'd likely be traded for another change of scenery player that could possibly start at 2b or 3b

We're not yet sitting on a prospect beating down the door to replace Beckham (or 3b) though. Might be the case a season from now with Saladino or someone like that, but we're not there yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
We're not yet sitting on a prospect beating down the door to replace Beckham (or 3b) though. Might be the case a season from now with Saladino or someone like that, but we're not there yet.

Oh, I agree, and that's why I think if Beckham does get traded, it's not for prospects.

The Sox have a ton of decisions to make this offseason...

Peavy, Liriano, Youkilis, Myers, Hudson - all could potentially be free agents (Personally think they keep Youk and Peavy)

or do you capitalize on high market value and trade Rios or Dunn?

Do you part ways with Danks or Floyd? (I think if they keep one of Liriano or Peavy; they lose Danks or Floyd)

Is Beckham around next year? or do you package him for a pitcher?

There a ton of uncertainty for 2013 but KW has decisions; and ironically those are the times where he performs his best work.

And also should make for a very fun & busy offseason to follow.