Report: Sox unlikely to pick up Youk's option

thedoctor

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The option years for Youk and Peavy are way out of line. I think they both know that too. They either become free agents or negotiate new contracts with the White Sox. AJP should be signed to at least a two year deal. Now sayoing that I really like wehat Youkilis has brought to this team and the gact Peavy has turned it around this year and seesm to be healthy. I do hope they want to stay anmd can work out an acceptable deal to stay here

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
The Sox have a ton of decisions to make this offseason...

Peavy, Liriano, Youkilis, Myers, Hudson - all could potentially be free agents (Personally think they keep Youk and Peavy)

or do you capitalize on high market value and trade Rios or Dunn?

Do you part ways with Danks or Floyd? (I think if they keep one of Liriano or Peavy; they lose Danks or Floyd)

Is Beckham around next year? or do you package him for a pitcher?

There a ton of uncertainty for 2013 but KW has decisions; and ironically those are the times where he performs his best work.

And also should make for a very fun & busy offseason to follow.

I think Kenny will do his best to move Dunn.

Rios...depends on the return you'd get.

I know it won't happen...but gauge interest in Paulie.

I REEEALLY want Youk back tho.

Somebody will offer Peavy too much quiche IMO...

Liriano is a no brainer I think.

I think Beckham and Floyd will be dealt. And if you want my personal opinion I'd ask the BoSox about Pedroia...seems they're pretty high on Ciriaco (sp?).

But 3B is a complete black hole right now without Youk. You can't count on Morel...

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Think of it as the possibility of payroll flexibility to add some players via free agency. If you're referring to Peavy and Youk possibly leaving via FA, then I say "thanks for your performance in 2012" and gladly take the 31 million dollars and use it elsewhere.

Easier said than done. The South Side has never been attractive to free agents.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:12 PM)
If we're handing out rings on Opening Day next season, I expect Peavy and Youk to be in Sox uniforms to get them.

Yeah, exactly. There is no way to even speculate on most of these guys at this point.

A lot depends on a potential postseason run.

A Championship would change everything.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 01:40 AM)
Yeah, exactly. There is no way to even speculate on most of these guys at this point.

A lot depends on a potential postseason run.

A Championship would change everything.

If the Sox somehow made the WS, everything would indeed change. The Sox would be a legitimate baseball power, making it twice since 2005. It would give the Sox a chance to reinvent itself again, to stave off that dumb rebuilding notion for a long time. Cmon Sox, keep it rolling.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
If the Sox somehow made the WS, everything would indeed change. The Sox would be a legitimate baseball power, making it twice since 2005. It would give the Sox a chance to reinvent itself again, to stave off that dumb rebuilding notion for a long time. Cmon Sox, keep it rolling.

As long as KW is in charge, there will be no rebuilding. Only retooling on the fly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
As long as KW is in charge, there will be no rebuilding. Only retooling on the fly.

I agree one thing I've always respected about him is he does have that never say die attitude. This year is the perfect example of how were "rebuilding" ya sure in first place.

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
I agree one thing I've always respected about him is he does have that never say die attitude. This year is the perfect example of how were "rebuilding" ya sure in first place.

This actually was a rebuilding year. For two seasons in a row we ended up getting a huge surprise, with last year's team being way worse than anyone could have reasonably expected and this year's team being way better than anyone could have reasonably expected.

Last year we added a bunch of expensive vets to try to win, and that failed, so we had to rebuild. Coming out of ST this year we ran out a bunch of "see what they have" types in De Aza, Viciedo, much of the bullpen, etc. The Jason Frasor trade perfectly exemplified where we thought we stood, as you usually do not deal a solid MR type for longshot prospects if you think you're going to contend. Much of our core this year was made up of players we either heavily shopped but couldn't get offers on (Thornton & Floyd for example) and other players that nobody would have taken at all without the Sox eating more than half of their remaining contracts (Dunn, Peavy, Alex). This season has been just as accidental and just as surprising as last year's crapfest was.

Also, I know there were quotes last offseason about the Sox retooling instead of rebuilding, etc. The reality is that the Sox tried to rebuild but couldn't get good enough offers on some players and simply couldn't move others. Retooling is another way of saying "we have a weak farm system and other teams don't want our vets that badly so we'll half-ass a contending season since we more or less have to." I don't think the Sox were ever planning a total rebuild, but I think the signs are pretty clear that Kenny wanted to do more selling than he was able to.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 07:10 PM)
Easier said than done. The South Side has never been attractive to free agents.

That's why if Youk finishes strong, I don't think committing another $12M to him next year is crazy even if you're overpaying a bit, especially once you look at the alternatives.

Edited by bighurt574

This really all depends on a post-season run. If we don't make the playoffs, no one is back.

If we DO make the playoffs and Youkilis remains this productive, you'd be foolish not to pick that option up. He's had exactly zero seasons where he hasn't been worth that. He was worth it last year, and if he stays on pace, he'll be worth it this year.

I think it's ridiculous to make any concrete statements right now on the future of the White Sox. I doubt Kenny Williams knows much of anything right now - he probably will have a payroll in the area where it's at now, and he'll have a lot of key free agents so he'll have to see what salary he can clear to keep the pieces that are going to hit in free agency. He may prefer one player over another, but the market may dictate the cheaper option. A lot will happen here, and for players like Youkalis and Peavy, with their player options, we also can't rule out signing one or both to a 2 year deal before deciding on the options that gives them financial certainty in return for less money per year.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
I think it's ridiculous to make any concrete statements right now on the future of the White Sox. I doubt Kenny Williams knows much of anything right now - he probably will have a payroll in the area where it's at now, and he'll have a lot of key free agents so he'll have to see what salary he can clear to keep the pieces that are going to hit in free agency. He may prefer one player over another, but the market may dictate the cheaper option. A lot will happen here, and for players like Youkalis and Peavy, with their player options, we also can't rule out signing one or both to a 2 year deal before deciding on the options that gives them financial certainty in return for less money per year.

Agreed. That article says nothing and winning changes everything. Not surprised it came from Boston also.