Return of an All-Star: Sale vs Royals

Steve9347

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:19 AM)
I think Youk is back, but it isn't like they have to pick up his option. I think they'll sign him to a 1yr deal with an option for a 2nd year at somewhere like 6-8M per.

Why would he do that though and make less in 2 years than he could in one?

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
I think Youk is back, but it isn't like they have to pick up his option. I think they'll sign him to a 1yr deal with an option for a 2nd year at somewhere like 6-8M per.

That is not going to happen that way money too low.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
Why would he do that though and make less in 2 years than he could in one?

How do you know that? The option isn't something the Sox have to pick up. Thats like saying why would Peavy sign for less then his option amount. If the market is less and I think with Youk he wants to play somewhere that he is comfortable (and he's fit in nicely) and most teams are going to be leary about going long-term/big money with him since there are injury concerns (Based upon the past couple years).

13M/yr is more then he'd get on the open market. At most I think he'd get 9-10M.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:21 AM)
How do you know that? The option isn't something the Sox have to pick up. Thats like saying why would Peavy sign for less then his option amount. If the market is less and I think with Youk he wants to play somewhere that he is comfortable (and he's fit in nicely) and most teams are going to be leary about going long-term/big money with him since there are injury concerns (Based upon the past couple years).

13M/yr is more then he'd get on the open market. At most I think he'd get 9-10M.

If the Sox decline the option and he hits the open market, you'd have to think he'd possibly get more money than that if he finishes strong.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)

3rd baseman are hard to find, I think you are low in the money he will get.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
If the Sox decline the option and he hits the open market, you'd have to think he'd possibly get more money than that if he finishes strong.

No matter what, teams are going to be incredibly cautious. He's had injury problem and his body type is not indicative of someone whose going to have a long, healthy career in baseball.