Twitter/Facebook

greg775

Twitter/Facebook  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Twitter and/Or Facebook?

• Yes
    • No
    • I love them both
    • Both are a joke

Hey can you help me out? I got in a big argument over Twitter/Facebook because I think it is sad so many anonymous assholes on Twitter blasted Gabby Douglas for her hair, so much so it may have affected her performance the past couple days. I personally HATE the anonymous Internet. It disgusts me. I am all for every website making users use their real names. Yes, even this one. If we had to represent ourselves officially we all would post differently I'm sure.

So tell me, do you use Twitter?

Do you use Facebook?

Give me your opinions of both.

My opinion

Twitter: I hate the fact you can anonymously go on there and blast people like Gabby Douglas. You say things you WOULD NEVER say to a person's face. I used it a bit but think it is a waste of time. It reminds me of comments sections on articles on the internet. The dregs of society gets on there and blasts away at the writer, the content of the story, everybody and anything.

Facebook: It amuses me but I rarely post on it. If you do post on there, family members tend to get on there and say all sorts of dumb things. I have never posted a picture on facebook; lots of people do all the time.

I think anonymity is helping ruin society and making it so full of hate.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter: Don't use. Don't see the point in it.

Facebook: Very handy, especially if you don't live near a lot of your friends/family. Good venue for sharing photos and information. Also handy for organizing events.

Edit: Not sure why this is in Filibuster instead of just SLaM.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
Twitter: Don't use. Don't see the point in it.

Facebook: Very handy, especially if you don't live near a lot of your friends/family. Good venue for sharing photos and information. Also handy for organizing events.

Edit: Not sure why this is in Filibuster instead of just SLaM.

Cause I didn't know how to put it in Slam.

I check both a couple times a day.

I rarely post anything on Facebook, and I use Twitter mostly as a newsfeed on subjects I find interesting; I've never "tweeted" a single thing, as I can't imagine that my random thoughts would be of interest to total strangers (other than my fellow Sox fans, of course).

I think both are positive tools overall, but agree that they've also had negative impacts upon society by giving anonymous platforms to idiots without accountabilty. Other than scope of audience, however, talk radio is really no different.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Hey can you help me out? I got in a big argument over Twitter/Facebook because I think it is sad so many anonymous assholes on Twitter blasted Gabby Douglas for her hair, so much so it may have affected her performance the past couple days. I personally HATE the anonymous Internet. It disgusts me. I am all for every website making users use their real names. Yes, even this one. If we had to represent ourselves officially we all would post differently I'm sure.

So tell me, do you use Twitter?

Do you use Facebook?

Give me your opinions of both.

My opinion

Twitter: I hate the fact you can anonymously go on there and blast people like Gabby Douglas. You say things you WOULD NEVER say to a person's face. I used it a bit but think it is a waste of time. It reminds me of comments sections on articles on the internet. The dregs of society gets on there and blasts away at the writer, the content of the story, everybody and anything.

Facebook: It amuses me but I rarely post on it. If you do post on there, family members tend to get on there and say all sorts of dumb things. I have never posted a picture on facebook; lots of people do all the time.

I think anonymity is helping ruin society and making it so full of hate.

http://flapship.com/author/djshapiro/

My name is Daniel J. Shaprio.

Boom, official. Gonna post the same.

Now, for Twitter and FB.

I use Twitter for sports news and an occasional friends tweet. Don't tweet myself, because I like full sentences and spelling.

FB is one of the most useful tools out there for networking and keeping in touch.

I definitely use both.

I use Twitter all day. I don't really post my own thoughts very often, but rather use it to as a one stop shop for all my sports news. I absolutely love it. I can get quick updates on all of my favorite sports teams in an instant. That's where I see the major benefit in Twitter. I feel like most people who don't use Twitter think of it as a way for people to give constant updates on what they're doing, but that's not it at all. I mean, some people do use it that way (i.e. Facebook status updates), but that's not how I take advantage of Twitter.

And Facebook is a great tool to keep in touch with people, but that's really all I use it for. I don't really use it that often.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
I definitely use both.

I use Twitter all day. I don't really post my own thoughts very often, but rather use it to as a one stop shop for all my sports news. I absolutely love it. I can get quick updates on all of my favorite sports teams in an instant. That's where I see the major benefit in Twitter. I feel like most people who don't use Twitter think of it as a way for people to give constant updates on what they're doing, but that's not it at all. I mean, some people do use it that way (i.e. Facebook status updates), but that's not how I take advantage of Twitter.

And Facebook is a great tool to keep in touch with people, but that's really all I use it for. I don't really use it that often.

If you don't follow those people that makes it a much better site.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Hey can you help me out? I got in a big argument over Twitter/Facebook because I think it is sad so many anonymous assholes on Twitter blasted Gabby Douglas for her hair, so much so it may have affected her performance the past couple days.

Uh, no.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
If you don't follow those people that makes it a much better site.

Oh, absolutely. There are people that I refuse to follow (even if they follow me) because they constantly post about what they're doing, how the feel, etc. And quite honestly, I just don't care.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Oh, absolutely. There are people that I refuse to follow (even if they follow me) because they constantly post about what they're doing, how the feel, etc. And quite honestly, I just don't care.

Besides, facebook is soooo much better for that kind of conversation by bunching them all together and turning it into real looking conversation instead of just random comments here and there.

I put the facebook page to sleep at the beginning of the year, but I use Twitter- not excessively. 5 or so tweets a week.

Don't tweet myself, because I like full sentences and spelling.

I abhor s***speak. If I want to tweet something, I figure out a way to do it in the required 140 characters or less without murdering the English language. It's kind of fun to take something that started out at around 200+ characters and gradually whittling away at it here and there until you get to 140. I don't think I even follow anyone who comes off as illiterate through their tweets.

The best, though, is when something ends up at exactly 140 right off the bat- no editing, modification, or s***speak. It's such a good feeling. Makes me feel like such a good wordsmith.

Twitter: I'm absolutely addicted to it. Any breaking or current sports story is right there at your fingertips. News as well, and weather in the area too. I don't tweet at all or follow any friends for personal contact, I only use it for information.

Facebook: I look it about once a day or so, just a way to keep in touch with friends/family you don't see very often. Although it seems as if the use has greatly declined recently.

I use Facebook daily, although it's losing some of its appeal lately.

Tried Twitter, didn't like it at all, deleted my account.

EDIT to add: If and when Facebook forces that awful Timeline on me, my usage will drop noticeably.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
Go to the forum and click "new topic" just like you did to create this thread? :huh

Ya that made me lol. Greg you are something else.

As for the topic, I love both. Twitter(along with soxtalk) is my main news source for everything in the history of life.

And I love facebook for pictures pretty much.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Up until a month ago I did not have a twitter or facebook.

I do now for marketing reasons, but its under a pen name.

Its just a major risk having my name associated with anything due to my profession.

^^this

Though several people on here know my real name, so if you know, you know, not a big deal. I just don't want that tied directly to this account where I've said a lot about my opinions on national security, politics, defense industry, etc.

Re: Gabby Douglas

There were, naturally, people on Twitter who post their mediocre-to-God-awfully-stupid thoughts in real time for the whole world to see. This is pretty routine, and sometimes reaches a fever pitch in response to certain events - ask Jay Cutler. So the usual amounts of people that say stupid s*** all the time made comments about Gabby's hair. This really shouldn't have been that big of a deal, HOWEVER I have seen FAR MORE attention dedicated to shouting down that original (limited) crowd of trolls, and this is pretty much the only reason the "controversy" is still going. On my Facebook I see more of those "stop talking about her hair!" posts than posts actually congratulating her on her gold medal.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Uh, no.

She's 16 years old. She seemed genuinely upset about it and all the attention. She should have stayed off Twitter until she was finished with the Games. Her performance since the hair flap was horrific.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
What did she do with her hair?

Nothing. She wore it back like all the US gymnasts but for some reason people on Twitter didn't like it and blasted her.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 12:45 AM)
Twitter is awesome for news. Its really a social media site more than a social network site.

I guess, but a lot of misinformation is out there. "Media" members trying to get scoops put lies up there. I guess if you check Twitter enough you can find the actual information but a lot of bloggers trying to be sports writers put up misinformation.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 01:31 AM)
Re: Gabby Douglas

There were, naturally, people on Twitter who post their mediocre-to-God-awfully-stupid thoughts in real time for the whole world to see. This is pretty routine, and sometimes reaches a fever pitch in response to certain events - ask Jay Cutler. So the usual amounts of people that say stupid s*** all the time made comments about Gabby's hair. This really shouldn't have been that big of a deal, HOWEVER I have seen FAR MORE attention dedicated to shouting down that original (limited) crowd of trolls, and this is pretty much the only reason the "controversy" is still going. On my Facebook I see more of those "stop talking about her hair!" posts than posts actually congratulating her on her gold medal.

I love your first sentence. Awesome writing!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
She's 16 years old. She seemed genuinely upset about it and all the attention. She should have stayed off Twitter until she was finished with the Games. Her performance since the hair flap was horrific.

It might have been different in the context of the full interview but when I saw her quotes after being asked about it, she didn't really seem to care all that much and she was pretty dismissive of it. She said "I'm gonna wear my hair like that next time I compete so they might as well stop talking about it"