Target: 224 Strikeouts

hammerhead johnson

As of August 7, Adam Dunn has 160 strikeouts with 54 games left on the schedule. He should reach 224 with ease, and 240 is certainly attainable given his current pace.

I'm excited for him.

1. Mark Reynolds 223 (2009)

2. Mark Reynolds 211 (2010)

3. Drew Stubbs 205 (2011)

4. Mark Reynolds 204 (2008)

5. Adam Dunn 199 (2010)

6. Ryan Howard 199 (2007)

7. Ryan Howard 199 (2008)

8. Jack Cust 197 (2008)

9. Mark Reynolds 196 (2011)

10. Adam Dunn 195 (2004)

11. Adam Dunn 194 (2006)

12. Bobby Bonds 189 (1970)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)
Only 7 players in big league history have recorded 8+ 38+ HR seasons, Adam Dunn is on pace to become the 8th. Oh and 4 of those 7 are known or strongly suspected roiders, the other 3 are greats of the game: Aaron, Ruth and Killebrew.

Nice. Dunn was looking like the obvious choice for Comeback Player Of The Year, but as of now, Rios is probably the favorite. Alex barely cleared a .600 OPS in 570 AB - he finished with a negative 0.7 WAR. It's hard for me to support a guy who has his head way up his ass.

Haha this thread is awesome. It was nice to see our #3 hitter get his first RBI since what that homer in Texas?

We should platoon him where he only faces guys who throw less than 91mph.

But yea I hope he gets 250k to add to his feared, Ruthian legend.

Has anyone ever hit for the True Outcome Triple Crown? I think Dunn still leads all categories for it.

Dunn leads a group of six players by 2 HR.

Dunn leads Ben Zobrist by 10 BB.

Dunn leads Carlos Pena by 22K.

Barring injury, the walk and strikeout titles are pretty much clinched. He's going to have to keep up or possibly even pick up the pace to get the homers crown though. Somebody from that group is going to get hot.

Past winners are Babe Ruth four times, Hack Wilson, Mickey Mantle, Mike Schmidt, and Dale Murphy all once each.

Dunn is also on pace to break the TTO% of 58.2 set by Jack Cust in 2007.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 7, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
Nice. Dunn was looking like the obvious choice for Comeback Player Of The Year, but as of now, Rios is probably the favorite. Alex barely cleared a .600 OPS in 570 AB - he finished with a negative 0.7 WAR. It's hard for me to support a guy who has his head way up his ass.

If he gets to 40 bombs, which he will, he is comeback Player of the Year. Dunn has always been one of my favorite players. When the Sox got him I was ecstatic. I honestly think that I'd almost rather him not be on the team though sometimes. He helps the team win games but I can't deal with the amounts of stupid that a player like Dunn brings upon White Sox fans. I just don't know if I can read about Dunn being bad at baseball for the next two years. Man, I love how the internet lets the stupid be stupid with no consequence.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
If he gets to 40 bombs, which he will, he is comeback Player of the Year. Dunn has always been one of my favorite players. When the Sox got him I was ecstatic. I honestly think that I'd almost rather him not be on the team though sometimes. He helps the team win games but I can't deal with the amounts of stupid that a player like Dunn brings upon White Sox fans. I just don't know if I can read about Dunn being bad at baseball for the next two years. Man, I love how the internet lets the stupid be stupid with no consequence.

I definitely didn't want him on the team last year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Of course you didn't. But my point is, even when Dunn is good he goes through periods in which he appears to be the worst player in baseball.

For sure. Like right now he hasnt made contact with a baseball in like 2 series. Then fans look at his BA near .200 and his OBP creeping towards .325 and most fans go YIKES. They aren't idiots, they just prefer a different style of baseball from the heart of the order.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
For sure. Like right now he hasnt made contact with a baseball in like 2 series. Then fans look at his BA near .200 and his OBP creeping towards .325 and most fans go YIKES. They aren't idiots, they just prefer a different style of baseball from the heart of the order.

Yeah that's fair. This isn't last year though. As frustrating as it can get, the walks and homers are a big deal. He is going to hit 40 homers and walk 100 times. I wish his obp was more like .380 rather than creeping below .340 but people still see the strikeouts and immediately think they matter more than they actually do. It is a difference of opinion though. But an inevitable one with a player like Dunn. And we have two more years of it. Fantastic.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)

Yeah, the OBP is troubling. .333 in June, .311 in July and now, albeit only 6 games, .192 in August.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
Of course you didn't. But my point is, even when Dunn is good he goes through periods in which he appears to be the worst player in baseball.

As much as I'm tempted to blast a guy who is hitting .205 and is setting all kind of strikeout records, I can't. I don't know his WAR or anything, but my eyes tell me he's been responsible for so many victories the Sox would be sucking without him. Same with Rios and AJ. And Paulie the first half was responsible for a lot of wins. Youk the second half has been. Same with Reed's closing. He's been exceptional.

So I will try all season not to blast guys who are responsible for the Sox being in the race. I do think we are gonna run out of gas badly, however. Detroit will win the division and there are a buncha teams vying for the WCs. I think we can sneak in and get the second WC. Hope I'm wrong and we win the division. Sox deserve a team grade of A at this point of season.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)

Rios is comeback player of the year. God were people stupid when he hit .159 last year and sat out at the end so he wouldn't qualify for the worst average of all time, and they thought he was bad at baseball.

i think its also about expectations for Dunn. When he was signed he was approx a career .250 hitter with a .380 obp.

These past 2 seasons have been the lowest 2 in his 13 year career for both batting average and obp.

He may get to his 38-40 average HR range this year, but the cost of that is a batting average .40-50 lower than normal.

Bottom line, you cant rely on him to be an offensive juggernot in this lineup.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
i think its also about expectations for Dunn. When he was signed he was approx a career .250 hitter with a .380 obp.

These past 2 seasons have been the lowest 2 in his 13 year career for both batting average and obp.

He may get to his 38-40 average HR range this year, but the cost of that is a batting average .40-50 lower than normal.

Bottom line, you cant rely on him to be an offensive juggernot in this lineup.

Also the 3rd lowest OPS of his career. Now down to .823

Mr. True Outcome shouldn't be #3. Late in games there is no pressure on the opposing manager when Dunn is at the plate, since he is likely to get out regardless of lefty or righty pitching and also not advance any runners on base.

Imagine if the 8th and 9th innings went Deaza, Youk, AJ, Pk, Rios, then the donkey. 5 tough outs in a row ALL THE TIME. Let the easy outs come after the grinders bat.

I just hate the cheap easy out teams get after Youk bats.