Paul Konerko: Mild Concussion

fathom

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Danks is actually not the guy I'd be most concerned with upgrading anyway. Him and Flowers are fine, IMO, for the bench.

It is Olmedo and Hudson that really need replacing. Need a professional utility IF, if one is available. One who can defend at least 2 IF positions well (Hudson can only really field 1 well), has some speed for PR duties, and maybe can hit .250.

You just described Gordon Beckham. What really need is a real second baseman.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
We did recently sign Dwayne Wise-who has played most of year in majors

Couple things on this: first Wise will probably be up at some point this year adn second when he was with the Yankees he did get some hits. I don't see that from Hudson. If we need anything right now to help this team I would have to say it's some better bench/role players for sure

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
You just described Gordon Beckham. What really need is a real second baseman.

Well I suppose that is another way to go - find a better 2B and make Beckham the utility guy. He can cover 2B very well, 3B pretty well, probably SS in a pinch, runs pretty good, has a little pop occasionally.

Somehow I don't think the Sox are finding that guy in August.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Couple things on this: first Wise will probably be up at some point this year adn second when he was with the Yankees he did get some hits. I don't see that from Hudson. If we need anything right now to help this team I would have to say it's some better bench/role players for sure

That would involve clearing a 40 man roster spot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Well I suppose that is another way to go - find a better 2B and make Beckham the utility guy. He can cover 2B very well, 3B pretty well, probably SS in a pinch, runs pretty good, has a little pop occasionally.

Somehow I don't think the Sox are finding that guy in August.

One can dream.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Call up Dan Johnson, although I don't think he's on the 40-man.

There's also Brent Morel and Youk can play first in PK's absence.

Morel's not hitting anything in the minors either right now. I'd prefer C. Jackson get the call.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
Morel's not hitting anything in the minors either right now. I'd prefer C. Jackson get the call.

I agree let Johnson or Jackson get a call up leave Morel down I think he is out of options as well so if we called him up there is that as well. Besides what good does two near or over 30 year olds do in the minors. I know Johnson is a AAAA player and Jackson is not the same player his potential once said he would be. I still think Morel has alot of work to do with his back issues. What the heck is Crede doing these days sign that dude to a minor league deal and lets see what hes got. :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
They might not have great benches, but the Sox bench has been almost worse than you can imagine. Our non-core players of ADA, Youk, Beckham, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, AJ, Morel, Ramirez and Viciedo are:

86 for 439 (.196) with 3 home runs

With Youk saying he's had lingering soreness in his knee, it's imperative they get someone that can back him up if needed.

So, those guys are 86-439 with 3 HR's all year?

:lolhitting

Just messing around. I'm assuming you meant "outside of the core guys..."

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I agree let Johnson or Jackson get a call up leave Morel down I think he is out of options as well so if we called him up there is that as well. Besides what good does two near or over 30 year olds do in the minors. I know Johnson is a AAAA player and Jackson is not the same player his potential once said he would be. I still think Morel has alot of work to do with his back issues. What the heck is Crede doing these days sign that dude to a minor league deal and lets see what hes got. :lolhitting

He has a bad back, thats what he's got.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5456856.story

He done

In a perfect world, we'd replace Hudson and Olmedo. We really need a left-handed hitting infielder IF that can backup SS, 2B, & SS and a right-handed hitter for the bench that can pinch-hit on occasion and not kill us with their bat when they're in the lineup.

I think Conor Jackson could fill the latter role well, but I feel that the backup IF is more important and I doubt they dump both Hudson and Olmedo. My guess is Hudson is here to stay, which sucks since he's basically a waste of a roster spot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
Bring up Johnson for the remaining time that PK is DL'd. If he does something crazy, find a spot for him on the bench.

Bring up Conor Jackson.

He's at least shown that he's a quality player in the past. He has a slashline of .283/.373/.442 in Charlotte and is hitting well over the past few months.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
The Score made it sound like it would be Dan Johnson who got promoted if PK goes on 7 day DL.

I'd rather see Brent called up. We have two guys who can play 1B in Youk and Dunn. We have only one guy who can play 3B worth a s***. Olmedo and Hudson are just awful over there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
I'd rather see Brent called up. We have two guys who can play 1B in Youk and Dunn. We have only one guy who can play 3B worth a s***. Olmedo and Hudson are just awful over there.

I'm more worried about offense than defense for 7 days and Johnson at least based on his AAA numbers might be able to hit a bomb or two (assuming something has clicked even in the smallest way)

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm more worried about offense than defense for 7 days and Johnson at least based on his AAA numbers might be able to hit a bomb or two (assuming something has clicked even in the smallest way)

Odds are the back up doesn't play, unless they are a defensive back up. Dunn probably plays 1st with Youk at 3rd. It is more likely that Dunn would come out for a PR, and put Youk over to 1st, with the bench player going in defensively. I'd be shocked if whoever they bring up got any ABs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Odds are the back up doesn't play, unless they are a defensive back up. Dunn probably plays 1st with Youk at 3rd. It is more likely that Dunn would come out for a PR, and put Youk over to 1st, with the bench player going in defensively. I'd be shocked if whoever they bring up got any ABs.

Well who's DHing if Dunn is at 1st and Youk at 3rd?