Jordan Danks sent down

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)
You're only saying that because of The Catch.

Absolutely not. To this day, I have never seen the catch

Per mlbtraderumors when Wise signed with Toronto in 2010:

The Blue Jays have signed outfielder DeWayne Wise to a minor league deal, according to James Hall of MLB.com. Wise, 32, opted out of his deal with the Phillies on Tuesday.

In 145 plate appearances for Triple A Lehigh Valley, Wise posted a slash line of .272/.317/.515. In his big league career, which has spanned parts of seven seasons, he has hit .216/.255/.380. Wise is known for his outstanding defense and has a career UZR/150 of 9.2 in the outfield.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
You wouldn't have had as much company as you do today. Wise's OPS in the major leagues this season is .791 and he's better at stealing bases than Danks. I'll take the mediocre veteran over the mediocre rookie everytime in crunch situations. Sorry you have a problem with that.

You might be right that I wouldn't have as much company. Just prior to his game winning homer I saw a post or two complaining about his lack of power. My whole point is that his 49 spotty ABs don't really mean a whole lot as an indication of how worthy he is and I don't have a problem that you would prefer a mediocre veteran over a mediocre rookie. That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I have a problem with you having a problem with my opinion....huh? :)

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Absolutely not. To this day, I have never seen the catch

What the hell?

Wise is a solid outfielder and a much better baserunner than Jordan. Move makes plenty of sense to me.

EDIT: And very happy to see Veal back.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
He was Designated for Assignment actually. He refused the assignment to AAA becoming a FA. Then he signed with the Sox because he lives in Charlotte.

Same difference let's split hairs some more! :whip

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
My whole point is that his 49 spotty ABs don't really mean a whole lot as an indication of how worthy he is

There's a lot more to Danks' history than 49 at-bats. We have a lot of data on what kind of hitter he is (again, he's not young).

The following should not be interesting, but the thread here has made it so:

Wise

AAA stats: .266/.317/.458... OPS .775

AA stats: .276/.326/.450... OPS .777

Danks

AAA stats: .260/.346/.420... OPS .776

AA stats: .243/.337/.356... OPS .693

*Danks has had 284 AA at-bats, but 1100 in AAA.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
There's a lot more to Danks' history than 49 at-bats. We have a lot of data on what kind of hitter he is (again, he's not young).

The following should not be interesting, but the thread here has made it so:

Wise

AAA stats: .266/.317/.458... OPS .775

AA stats: .276/.326/.450... OPS .777

Danks

AAA stats: .260/.346/.420... OPS .776

AA stats: .243/.337/.356... OPS .693

*Danks has had 284 AA at-bats, but 1100 in AAA.

So the reality is, they are pretty identical players offensively, but Danks is a better defender.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
So the reality is, they are pretty identical players offensively, but Danks is a better defender.

Wise is a very good base runner (42/50 stealing bases in his career) and has been a damn good PHer in his career (.307 average). Give me Wise over Danks every time at the plate.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Looking at the numbers, you are vastly underrating Wise's defense. His career numbers are pretty impressive. Well above average.

I think you are overrating them because of The Catch. I think you are also underestimating how good of a defensive OF Danks is.

Wise's career UZR/150 is 13, which is borderline elite.

Danks' career UZR/150 is 20. But, he hasn't even actually played 150 innings there in his career, so it would be ridiculous to consider that a reliable measure.

This move is fine. For the next two weeks, they're practically the same player for the White Sox, but Danks could use ABs to improve. Makes perfect sense.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Since some people want so badly to point out numbers: Wise's career mlb OBP in over 1000 plate appearances (again he's not young) is .259. I rest my case. There will be refreshments served in the lobby while the jury deliberates.

What are his numbers this year? Isn't that more important than what he did in 2006 or 2009? BTW, Jordan Danks career OBP before the one AB you said had no bearing on your feelings was .260 and his sluggling pct. .271.

The verdict is in. You lose.