Jordan Danks sent down

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
Wise bring nothing to the table that Danks does not. Wise could of been called up September 1st, 2 plus weeks would not of made much of a difference and a ML option was used in the process.

At the very least, Jordan Danks is a much better OF than Wise.

Wise bring nothing to the table that Danks does not. Wise could of been called up September 1st, 2 plus weeks would not of made much of a difference and a ML option was used in the process.

I wouldn't worry about the option too much. It's his first one, and he's 26. Worst-case scenario is that he's out of options going into his Age 29 season, and if he hasn't earned a major league job by then, he's not really worth keeping at AAA.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
I've never seen such dissappointment over a 26 year old with 49 career ABs and a .621 OPS being sent down to the minors for 3 weeks.

Remember when they kept Lillibridge on the roster last April and sent down/released "I can't remember who they released"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Ah, it was Lastings Milledge. Yeah, the uproar over Lilli being kept and Milledge released.

At least in seasons past, there was reason to complain about something. The team is in first place and instead of being happy they took 2 out of 3 vs. Oakland and gaining a game in the standings, many are more concerned a 4th OF is being sent to Charlotte.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
Come on, really? 49 at bats?

Paul konerko was sitting at .216/.319/.590 after 397 at bats. Let's give him a little more than spot duty before we kick dirt over his grave

that's a .900 OPS...

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
He hit he walk off game winner Friday that is the issue here along with the fact he made some very nice catches.

He's a good fielder, even though he was shaky a couple of times in the field. His homer was the only thing of significance in his 49 AB. He only walked once, struck out 12 times, hit a few balls hard, but not many. He's certainly no difference maker and again its for 3 weeks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
What was Konerko, 21 or 22? Danks is 26.

So what? You keep riding that, some guys take longer to get to the big leagues. He went to college, he didnt start the minors until he was 22, Konerko went straight to the minors at 18.

Look, I get it DA, you dont think he is worth complaining that he is going to the minors. I dont think it is a big deal either, i actually prefer him to get regular ABs for the next 3 weeks as well. But I certainly dont think he is awful and is never going to amount to anything.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
49 at bats. That was konerkos line over 3 seperate seasons.

After 49 at bats? .195/.277/.195. Ops .472

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...b&year=1998

i was just saying your initial argument didn't hold much water... the second one doesn't either as DA pointed out... that said I don't think this whole thing is a big deal.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
So what? You keep riding that, some guys take longer to get to the big leagues. He went to college, he didnt start the minors until he was 22, Konerko went straight to the minors at 18.

Look, I get it DA, you dont think he is worth complaining that he is going to the minors. I dont think it is a big deal either, i actually prefer him to get regular ABs for the next 3 weeks as well. But I certainly dont think he is awful and is never going to amount to anything.

Generally, 26 year old back ups don't develop into productive players. Obviously there are exceptions, but the odds are heavily stacked against Jordan Danks being anything but a mediocre major leaguer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
Generally, 26 year old back ups don't develop into productive players. Obviously there are exceptions, but the odds are heavily stacked against Jordan Danks being anything but a mediocre major leaguer.

Im not saying he will be a star. I certainly think he will have a better career than what we have seen so far, although the defense is pretty good

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)

And if that is the debate, I can always point out Jose Bautista.

I'm completely fine with this. At this point in their careers, Wise and Danks are extremely similar players. I feel Danks has a good chance to be in the Chicago as a backup OF for the next few years but at the moment he is mostly up riding the bench and coming in to play defense for a couple innings. Wise is a veteran who has experience in that role. I'm sure Danks will be back up in 3 weeks and I'd prefer he get regular at bats over that time period

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
I'm completely fine with this. At this point in their careers, Wise and Danks are extremely similar players. I feel Danks has a good chance to be in the Chicago as a backup OF for the next few years but at the moment he is mostly up riding the bench and coming in to play defense for a couple innings. Wise is a veteran who has experience in that role. I'm sure Danks will be back up in 3 weeks and I'd prefer he get regular at bats over that time period

Which, I would bet, is exactly what Robin and Kenny told him as they handed him the ticket to Charlotte.