Jordan Danks sent down

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
All this Danks love has to be based on 1 AB. His OPS coming into that AB was .531.

If the Sox miss him, they aren't any good anyway.

It isn't over just 1 AB, as much as you are trying to make it that way. The most commonly mentioned thing is his defense, not his offense.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Allen speaking a lot of truth in this thread. So many on this board let the tide take them way up and way down. The Danks HR took people way up.

Everything else he is should be taking you back down soon enough, whenever he gets back.

Thanks much for the HR, but it was one at-bat. Personnel decisions aren't based on small sample sizes, and his defense and athleticism are not exceptional they're just solid.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Dick Allen speaking a lot of truth in this thread. So many on this board let the tide take them way up and way down. The Danks HR took people way up.

Everything else he is should be taking you back down soon enough, whenever he gets back.

Thanks much for the HR, but it was one at-bat. Personnel decisions aren't based on small sample sizes, and his defense and athleticism are not exceptional they're just solid.

But 49 at bats is totally large enough!

And his defense is far better than simply solid

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)

Funny that you should say that personnel decisions aren't based on small sample sizes when his ops in 49 at bats continues to be pointed out. Again, not saying he is gonna be a star, but the detractors are being just as ridiculous as the one homer happy crowd

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
It isn't over just 1 AB, as much as you are trying to make it that way. The most commonly mentioned thing is his defense, not his offense.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)

Look at the careers of Danks and Wise. They're both bad hitters. So the Sox going with the veteran is fine by me, because it's a total non-issue. They're both bad hitters that should not be playing much when we're back to full strength.

I love how Robin actually lets baseball players play every day that should (and sits those that shouldn't). The game is not nearly taxing enough for all the rest some managers give people throughout a year. Under Robin, I am fine with mediocrity on my bench replacing other mediocrity. I do also believe that a veteran in the postseason makes more sense than a total rook (in cases where talent is equal).

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Look at the careers of Danks and Wise. They're both bad hitters. So the Sox going with the veteran is fine by me, because it's a total non-issue. They're both bad hitters that should not be playing much when we're back to full strength.

I love how Robin actually lets baseball players play every day that should (and sits those that shouldn't). The game is not nearly taxing enough for all the rest some managers give people throughout a year.

How many years did you play at the major league level?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)

He's a good defender, but he's had a couple shaky moments, so while he's capable of outstanding defense, I think solid is a good way to describe how he's performed. Wise isn't bad in the field. Probably not at Danks' level, but definitely good enough, plus he's used to hitting and playing off the bench.

At this stage, Wise seems much more likely to have a quality AB against a tough righty starter. Prior to the home run, Danks had looked awful since the ASB, as he was being very aggressive early in the count and making weak outs. He'll be back in a few weeks and ready to take on his role as late inning defensive replacement.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
He's a good defender, but he's had a couple shaky moments, so while he's capable of outstanding defense, I think solid is a good way to describe how he's performed. Wise isn't bad in the field. Probably not at Danks' level, but definitely good enough, plus he's used to hitting and playing off the bench.

Which I agree with and partly why I'm totally fine with the decision. However, I also think it's way too early to be writing him off as some are as a terrible hitter. He'll be back in a few weeks and I would not be at all surprised if he is our 4th OF for the next few years.

Jordan Danks hit a homerun and won a game for us. Wise made the "catch." Both are role players at this point. I have nothing against Wise and thjink he can be a contributor in his role. Danks can too. Both can go catch the ball and have speed. I have to think the move to keep Wise up and send Danks down is just roster moves that have to be made and possibly acknowleding Wise has experience in the bigs. I am sure Jordan will be back up in a couple weeks for the rest of the season. It seems we live and die on one play good or bad one way to much when talking about players

It's funny that everyone is harping on the homerun. No one except for Greg (bless him) has said that was the reason why Danks should still be on the Sox and that was in another thread.

The Sox made a decision to go with a more experienced guy in Wise as their 4th outfielder for the next 20 days. I just happen to think Danks was doing fine in that role and there was no need for Wise in the first place. That said, I hope Wise does a Rennie Stennett in his next game and goes 7 for 7.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
TRY THE VEAL EVERYONE!

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox

Prior to tonight’s game @BlueJays, #WhiteSox recalled LHP Donnie Veal from Class AAA Charlotte. @KnightsBaseball

That's Steve Stone's guy. He was the one who reccommended the Sox sign him.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
It's funny that everyone is harping on the homerun. No one except for Greg (bless him) has said that was the reason why Danks should still be on the Sox and that was in another thread.

The Sox made a decision to go with a more experienced guy in Wise as their 4th outfielder for the next 20 days. I just happen to think Danks was doing fine in that role and there was no need for Wise in the first place. That said, I hope Wise does a Rennie Stennett in his next game and goes 7 for 7.

If he popped out and didn't homer, there wouldn't have been complaining about a guy with a .260 OBP and a .520 OPS which is what he would have had, if not slightly lower,being optioned to AAA for 20 days. Most people who are very upset by this would have most likely thought it would be good for him to get some ABs, come back in September perhaps with a little momentum at the plate.

There's someone on another board who basically thinks this move will either keep the Sox out of the playoffs or kill them in the playoffs if Danks isn't on the playoff roster.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)

It would be just as easy to start saying that everyone who wants Wise, only wants him because of The Catch, even though that isn't true either.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
If he popped out and didn't homer, there wouldn't have been complaining about a guy with a .260 OBP and a .520 OPS being optioned to AAA for 20 days.

Wrong. I would have. It's not about the f***ing homer or his OPS in his 49 ABs. I happen to like his speed, his defense and his potential and prefer him to Dewayne Wise. Why do you have such a problem with that?

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Wrong. I would have. It's not about the f***ing homer or his OPS in his 49 ABs. I happen to like his speed, his defense and his potential and prefer him to Dewayne Wise. Why do you have such a problem with that?

You wouldn't have had as much company as you do today. Wise's OPS in the major leagues this season is .791 and he's better at stealing bases than Danks. I'll take the mediocre veteran over the mediocre rookie everytime in crunch situations. Sorry you have a problem with that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
You wouldn't have had as much company as you do today. Wise's OPS in the major leagues this season is .791 and he's better at stealing bases than Danks. I'll take the mediocre veteran over the mediocre rookie everytime in crunch situations. Sorry you have a problem with that.

On this team, the smart move is to take the better defender. That is the primary thing we need out of our 4th OF, especially with Dayan Viciedo in LF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
On this team, the smart move is to take the better defender. That is the primary thing we need out of our 4th OF, especially with Dayan Viciedo in LF.

Wise is a decent enough defender. Its not like he's Ralph Garr. When rosters expand, defensive replacements will fit in nicely.

From mlbtraderumors:

The Blue Jays have signed outfielder DeWayne Wise to a minor league deal, according to James Hall of MLB.com. Wise, 32, opted out of his deal with the Phillies on Tuesday.

In 145 plate appearances for Triple A Lehigh Valley, Wise posted a slash line of .272/.317/.515. In his big league career, which has spanned parts of seven seasons, he has hit .216/.255/.380. Wise is known for his outstanding defense and has a career UZR/150 of 9.2 in the outfield.

Edited by Dick Allen