Is Smokey riding his big boys too hard?

Tannerfan

After the Sox win today, I turned on the Rangers radio broadcast to hear the last three innings of the Tigers Rangers game.

I was surprised when the Rangers radio guy said that Cabrera and Fielder have both started every game this season.

This guy mentioned that when Leyland (aka Smokey) was asked about this he said in his gruff way: "They get their rest when they DH."

Cabrera, according to the Rangers radio guy has DH'd five times and Fielder only once.

I know they are both fairly young, but you have to wonder or at least hope that they'll falter down the stretch due to a lack of rest. This is one of the criticisms of Leyland by Tiger fans. He burns out his players.

Fine by me.

But the thing that is realy killing DET, and that I said pre-season I was amazed how few people brought it up... is defense. Defense matters, but people seem to forget that when analyzing teams. Detroit has allowed 33 more UER than the Sox (54 vs 21), allowed 25 more SB than the Sox, turned fewer double plays than all but one team in the AL... and that's not even getting into the fact that DET will allow even more runs with their defense via lack of range at 1B, 3B and other positions where their players suck on defense. They have probably the worst regular defensive players in baseball at three positions. Conservatively, if just in terms of errors they are allowing 33 more UER than the team they are chasing, given the lack of range at so many positions, I'm guessing the've given up just as many runs earned but defensively causedas well. That would be 66 runs, which is more than half a run EVERY GAME.

If DET just misses the playoffs, or just misses the division, you can look at defense as the difference maker.

Miguel Cabrera had a 1.086 OPS in July, 1.079 so far in August. In the last 4 seasons, he has played 160, 160, 150, 161 games.

Prince Fielder has a 1.263 OPS so far in August. Since 2006, he has played in 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162 games.

Both of those players are on fire right now, have a history of playing every single day, and have been extremely consistent month-to-month throught their careers. Unfortunately, I don't see them burning out at all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
Fine by me.

But the thing that is realy killing DET, and that I said pre-season I was amazed how few people brought it up... is defense. Defense matters, but people seem to forget that when analyzing teams. Detroit has allowed 33 more UER than the Sox (54 vs 21), allowed 25 more SB than the Sox, turned fewer double plays than all but one team in the AL... and that's not even getting into the fact that DET will allow even more runs with their defense via lack of range at 1B, 3B and other positions where their players suck on defense. They have probably the worst regular defensive players in baseball at three positions. Conservatively, if just in terms of errors they are allowing 33 more UER than the team they are chasing, given the lack of range at so many positions, I'm guessing the've given up just as many runs earned but defensively causedas well. That would be 66 runs, which is more than half a run EVERY GAME.

If DET just misses the playoffs, or just misses the division, you can look at defense as the difference maker.

I believe Porcello leads all MLB pitchers in errors this year with 5