Ruminations on Robin's leadership

southsider2k5

"I definitely remember the good times more than the stuff that went on the last year or so. But I think Robin can last a really long time because he’s even keel. He doesn’t have the ups and downs, and he knows how to treat people with respect. With Ozzie, it got to the point where he liked to throw people under the bus. Robin will never be like that."

-Jerry Reinsdorf

boom

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
-Jerry Reinsdorf

boom

That was one of the quotes I was referring to. That just makes me think the media in this town is completely in Ozzie's pocked, because in any other town, an owner talking like that about a manager would have been front page news, and all over for talk radio for days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
The Reinsdorf quote was from a New York Times story in spring training.

Exactly my point. Not in the Trib, not in the ST (lol), not in the Herald or Southtown, Not AM 1000 or the Score, or any of the sports media in Chicago but the New York f***ing Times. And even after it got published, no one at all talked about it. No one.

Sports media in this town should be embarrassed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Exactly my point. Not in the Trib, not in the ST (lol), not in the Herald or Southtown, Not AM 1000 or the Score, or any of the sports media in Chicago but the New York f***ing Times. And even after it got published, no one at all talked about it. No one.

Cowley mentioned it in April in his Ozzie will never come back as long as KW is around column as another unneccesary diss of the great Oz. Of course Joe failed to mention the Sox would actually have want him back. Ozzie's in the cellar, the Sox are in first place. Joe's Ozzie columns have come to a screeching halt.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Cowley mentioned it in April in his Ozzie will never come back as long as KW is around column as another unneccesary diss of the great Oz. Of course Joe failed to mention the Sox would actually have want him back. Ozzie's in the cellar, the Sox are in first place. Joe's Ozzie columns have come to a screeching halt.

I will say this much... At least Joe is pretty up front about his love of Ozzie.

‘‘We’ll probably go back to what people are used to when Paulie gets back.’’

That's the only quote I didn't like.

Better hoping the line-up magically starts clicking again when Paulie gets back, or us people in the "Rios third, Dunn sixth" party are gonna start rocking the boat more.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
That's the only quote I didn't like.

Better hoping the line-up magically starts clicking again when Paulie gets back, or us people in the "Rios third, Dunn sixth" party are gonna start rocking the boat more.

If Ventura is half of the manager I think he is, he could give a s*** less what the fans think.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
If Ventura is half of the manager I think he is, he could give a s*** less what the fans think.

NO manager should give a s*** what fans think.

He should give a s*** if the team isn't playing well and recognize that sometimes changes need to be made, as he's done already this season. I still say the only way he's gonna change the line-up onces Paulie's back is if they slip out of first place again.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
NO manager should give a s*** what fans think.

He should give a s*** if the team isn't playing well and recognize that sometimes changes need to be made, as he's done already this season. I still say the only way he's gonna change the line-up onces Paulie's back is if they slip out of first place again.

Bobby Knight said if you start doing what the fans want, you wind up sitting next to them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)

No, Jerry should be embarrassed for not giving the hometown media the good stuff. He probably would never have said that to Chicago writers. You can't blame them for not wanting to play up something he said to the New York media.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Here is something from the comment section of the article that need not be overlooked.

Ventura's team slashed payroll by $25 million or so and is 6 games ahead of where they were last year after this many games.

Guillen's team expanded payroll by $62 million or so and is 3 games behind where they were last year after this many games.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
There is a great article on Kenny on ESPN Chicago too...

ESPN Chicago

good read. funny about his football mentality as it relates to torturing yourself through the ups and downs of a 162-game season.

i picture him being the guy with ridiculous swings of emotion in game threads.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
No, Jerry should be embarrassed for not giving the hometown media the good stuff. He probably would never have said that to Chicago writers. You can't blame them for not wanting to play up something he said to the New York media.

Who cares who he said it to. The NYT isn't a small paper. You can't tell me the Chicago media didn't know he said. They just ignored it.