Ruminations on Robin's leadership

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Liked the Ventura hire from the beginning, but I refuse to pile on Guillen. His time was clearly up, but he was the right hire at the right time. He won a World Series.

Glad to see someone gets it. Ozzie-He gone. No need to bring him up constantly.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Who cares who he said it to. The NYT isn't a small paper. You can't tell me the Chicago media didn't know he said. They just ignored it.

They should have covered it at some point, probably after a bit of a wait to avoid looking like they were just scrambling to keep up with an out-of-town paper, but then the truth is the Trib and Sun-Times just don't have the sports columnists they used to. Cowley's been a bad replacement for what the ST used to have; he's always been a lazy writer and he's just not that good. Telander's the best writer at the ST but he's very much part-time at this point in his career there. At the Trib Rogers isn't writing at the level he used to be at, and Haugh doesn't write much about baseball for whatever reason. In Rogers' case, it may be because the bean-counters at the Trib have him filing little newsbits everyday instead of letting him just focus on a few good columns a week, like he used to do. Who else is there to go in-depth at the papers? They're just shadows of what they once were. That said, I'd be surprised if none of the radio shows talked about the Reinsdorf quote, but then I don't listen to them so I don't know.

As for the quoted comment, "Ventura’s team is winning, Guillen’s team is losing…. which makes comparisons conveniently easy." Uh, yeah... Duh.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 02:08 AM)
Liked the Ventura hire from the beginning, but I refuse to pile on Guillen. His time was clearly up, but he was the right hire at the right time. He won a World Series.

Yay! I approve this post.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 02:22 AM)
Glad to see someone gets it. Ozzie-He gone. No need to bring him up constantly.

Yay! I approve this post.

With regard to those ups and downs, I genuinely feel that's been the biggest difference in the regimes. They are obviously better prepared and sharper fundamentally, but the Sox have never had a really long bad stretch throughout the season, and they've only really had one semi-extended stretch where they were really good, those being two 3-10's and one 1 13-1 stretch. Otherwise, they have legitimately played about .550 ball all year long.

I haven't had this much fun following a team since 2008, and even then they were on dire straits by the end of the year and really lucked into a playoff appearance.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:55 AM)
With regard to those ups and downs, I genuinely feel that's been the biggest difference in the regimes. They are obviously better prepared and sharper fundamentally, but the Sox have never had a really long bad stretch throughout the season, and they've only really had one semi-extended stretch where they were really good, those being two 3-10's and one 1 13-1 stretch. Otherwise, they have legitimately played about .550 ball all year long.

I haven't had this much fun following a team since 2008, and even then they were on dire straits by the end of the year and really lucked into a playoff appearance.

That's something I can't recall seeing in any Sox team this century. AJ is throwing guys out, Rios is awesome in RF. People are put in better situations to succeed which may not have always been possible in previous seasons.

The only thing that still worries me is lack of ML experience in some players and manager.