I never realized something about the early 90s Sox

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
It would have been nice if there was an Wild Card back then.

And with the 1990 team, they won 94 games and had the second best record in the AL with, for all intents and purposes, a balanced schedule--13 vs West teams, 12 vs East teams. They lose the division by 9 games to the roided A's, and the Red Sox go to the playoffs with 88 wins.

Oh yeah, that system was fair.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
And with the 1990 team, they won 94 games and had the second best record in the AL with, for all intents and purposes, a balanced schedule--13 vs West teams, 12 vs East teams. They lose the division by 9 games to the roided A's, and the Red Sox go to the playoffs with 88 wins.

Oh yeah, that system was fair.

Well, to be fair, in the Wild Card era the 2002 and 2003 Seattle Mariners won 93 games back to back years and didn't make the playoffs.

To the point about 20 years -

The Sox since the beginning of 1990 are one of three AL teams to win 1900+ games (they have won 1904 games from the beginning of the 1990 season to today). The Yankees have won 2050+ and the Red Sox have won 1970+. Fourth place is the A's, 25 games behind.

They've also averaged 86 wins in the 19 complete seasons (not counting 1994, 1995 and 2012) from 1990 on.

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
1994 WS whitesox vs Expos man that would have been nuts! Montreal might still have a team if that strike would have never happened

If we made it... Remember Cleveland was one game behind us and charging hard. Plus no wild card as a back up.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Helps when you hit on instant, big-time talent in the draft in the first round:

1990: Alex Fernandez

1989: Frank Thomas

1988: Robin Ventura

1987: Jack McDowell

That string of success was unreal. I remember how excited I was to see Frank come up and play. Wish I could relive that time now, with the current setup for the playoffs. That could have been a fun ride with today's playoff system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
If we made it... Remember Cleveland was one game behind us and charging hard. Plus no wild card as a back up.

There was a wild card in 1994. It would have been the inaugural year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)

Pennant chase would have been ridiculous to watch too. And 38 HR, 1.217 OPS for Frank Thomas when it ended, he was on pace for 50+.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Pennant chase would have been ridiculous to watch too. And 38 HR, 1.217 OPS for Frank Thomas when it ended, he was on pace for 50+.

Frank was on pace for 54 homers and like 130+ rbis. It was the most ridiculous offensive season ever, post-ruth and pre-roids.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)

Possible MVP season for him and Griffey was KILLING it also that year.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
That string of success was unreal. I remember how excited I was to see Frank come up and play. Wish I could relive that time now, with the current setup for the playoffs. That could have been a fun ride with today's playoff system.

There was a lot of horrible 80's baseball to get those picks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
There was a lot of horrible 80's baseball to get those picks.

Don't you DARE mock those 80's teams of Carlos Martinez, Dan Pasqua, Joel Skinner, Scott Fletcher, Steve Sax...BWAHAHAHA...

Crap, almost made it through without laughing.