September Call-Ups Discussion

Noonskadoodle

With September 1st just a few weeks away, the chance for all MLB clubs to expand their rosters with the players from the minor leagues is quickly approaching. So I was thinking about which players from the Chicago White Sox system would help the big league club as they fight to win the AL Central over the Detroit Tigers. The Sox are currently two games up on the Tigers.

So lets start with the pitchers that could be called up in September. First, would be the return of left hander Hector Santiago. Santiago has been a stretched since being sent down to AAA Charlotte and has pitched outstanding in 14.2 innings pitched to a 0.00 ERA. Next would be Jhan Marinez, who has an ERA of 3.16 ERA with AAA Charlotte, could really help take some pressure off guys like Nate Jones and Brett Myers down the stretch. Some other pitchers they may be called upon could be Charlie Leesman (2.75 ERA in AAA), Brian Bruney (1.70 ERA in AAA) and Dylan Axelrod (2.72 ERA in AAA, 5.63 ERA in MLB).

When a position player is called up in September, they are normally relied upon as a pinch hitter or pinch runner rather than a spot starter. I think the first player that should be called up is first baseman/designated hitter Dan Johnson. He has hit 27 home runs this season and has the experience of playing in a tight division race. He would be a great left handed pinch hitter off the bench. Next would be outfielder Jordan Danks, who was just recently sent down after hitting a walk-off home run two nights before. He would serve as the fifth outfielder and a pinch runner. He could also be a defensive replacement. The next player would be the recently acquired Jose Lopez. He plays pretty much every infield position and still has some pop in his bat. Either Hector Gimenez or Josh Phegley will be called upon to be the third catcher. My guess would be Gimenez. I would think maybe they could call up another guy with speed just for pinch running situations such as Greg Golson or Jared Mitchell.

The one interesting name that hasn’t come up yet is Brent Morel. Morel was injured earlier this season and after Kevin Youkilis was acquired, Morel hasn’t even sniffed the major league club. He could be used as a late inning defensive replacement at third base with Youk moving over to first base. But Morel is not hitting at all in AAA with a .200 batting average.

Overall, September call ups aren’t known for making big impacts on a division race like the Sox are in. But if just one pitcher and one position player can help get a win down the stretch, that can make the difference between winning the division or even making the playoffs as a wild card team.

http://www.rantsports.com/chicago-white-so...tember-callups/

Man I didn't realize how well Santiago has been throwing the ball down in AAA.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Veal (assuming he gets sent down when PK comes up)

- Santiago

- Omogrosso

- Heath

- Lopez

- Danks

- Mitchell

- Gimenez

- Johnson

- Jackson

Lots of situational-baseball a deep bench can allow you to play down the stretch.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
The expanded roster rule is one of the dumbest rules in all of sports. Let's play by one set of roster rules for 80% of the season, but then when it gets to crunch time, let's just change it all up and let teams add extra players.

/rant

It's because the minor league season ends in early September.

Keep in mind the Knights are going to be in the IL playoffs so they're going to run closer to mid-September or later so the Sox won't be calling up a dozen guys just because they can.

The expanded roster rule is one of the dumbest rules in all of sports. Let's play by one set of roster rules for 80% of the season, but then when it gets to crunch time, let's just change it all up and let teams add extra players.

/rant

Couldn't agree more. Especially with the new wild card, there are more teams playing for something.

They need to max it out at 30 and you have to submit a 25-man roster before the game starts with no more than 8 in the bullpen.

September call-ups still have to be on the 40-man roster, which is currently full, so it's very likely that the September call-ups will be limited to players that have already seen time with the Sox at some point this season.

My guesses are Santiago, Danks, Axelrod, Morel, and maybe Marinez. I don't see anybody the Sox would be willing to DFA in order to bring up Johnson, Jackson, or Lopez.

They can move Bruney to the 60DL so that would open one spot.

A 3rd catcher, another utility IF, Jordan Danks, and maybe a speed guy for pinch running purposes - probably not much will be brought up for offense.

Pitching, Hector Santiago will come up and may even get a start if the rotation gets taxed with Humber now in the bullpen. Axelrod will probably get a call up and maybe one or two of the other pitchers that were here earlier.

All in all, I'd look for 7-8 players brought up, mostly for very specific situations.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
September call-ups still have to be on the 40-man roster, which is currently full, so it's very likely that the September call-ups will be limited to players that have already seen time with the Sox at some point this season.

My guesses are Santiago, Danks, Axelrod, Morel, and maybe Marinez. I don't see anybody the Sox would be willing to DFA in order to bring up Johnson, Jackson, or Lopez.

They can move Bruney to the 60DL so that would open one spot.

If Olmedo is DFA and Bruney goes to the 60 day DL, that opens spots for Lopez and Johnson.

/rant

Couldn't disagree more, I like it if nothing else get to see some futuresox early and long season gives some guys a break before post-season play. Not too mention, if you have a starter go out early for whatever reason it wont cripple you for 2 or so games at the most important time of the season.

If Olmedo is DFA and Bruney goes to the 60 day DL, that opens spots for Lopez and Johnson.

If the Sox think Lopez is better than Olmedo, they should make that move now and not wait until September.

I see no use for Johnson. If Konerko or Dunn needs a day off, I'd rather see Viciedo at DH and Wise in LF. I don't trust Johnson to hit any better than Wise and that isn't even factoring the the defensive upgrade you get in LF.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 04:44 AM)
Couldn't disagree more, I like it if nothing else get to see some futuresox early and long season gives some guys a break before post-season play. Not too mention, if you have a starter go out early for whatever reason it wont cripple you for 2 or so games at the most important time of the season.

That's the whole issue from a competitive aspect. For 130+ games, you have a 25-man roster and have to manage accordingly to what happens in games, like extra innings, a really bad start, injuries, etc. But suddenly for the last 30 games during crunch time, you suddenly change the rules and the way you need to manage? Playoff spots are on the line, but now it's cool if you have 30 players on your roster to play in a game, not 25 anymore. As flavum said earlier, they at least need to institute a rule that a 25-man roster needs to be submitted before every game.

As flavum said earlier, they at least need to institute a rule that a 25-man roster needs to be submitted before every game.

Well, you have at least four starting pitchers that you won't use that game anyway, unless you have more than 4 call-ups, it doesn't really matter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
I'd like to see Jackson, Johnson, Santiago, Marinez, and Lopez as call-ups.

Connor Jackson and Dan Johnson are both not on the 40 man roster, so I doubt we see them. We are more likely to see Morel. Jose Lopez would also require a 40 man roster move to call up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
Is there anyone on the 40 man roster who doesn't belong there? They can move Bruney to the 60 day DL pretty easily to clear 1 spot right?

That would be the obvious one. Other than that, they would have to pass one of their young pitchers through waivers, or DFA someone like Hudson and/or Olmedo. Outside of the pitchers, the rest of the positions on the 40 are pretty lean. They Sox have a s***load of pitchers protected right now. Maybe a Daniel Moskos? But the Sox just claimed him on waivers, and he fits their high pick rebuild scenario.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 07:21 AM)
Well, you have at least four starting pitchers that you won't use that game anyway, unless you have more than 4 call-ups, it doesn't really matter.

That's true, and that's why still just prefer no expanded roster at all, but you have to be willing to compromise in life, right?

Is there anyone on the 40 man roster who doesn't belong there? They can move Bruney to the 60 day DL pretty easily to clear 1 spot right?

I could live without Olmedo or Hudson, but other than that, I don't see any real DFA candidates. Moving Bruney to the 60DL is pretty much the only way to get someone else added to the 40.

Another thing to consider if the Sox think they might have more games with Flowers at C and AJ at DH, then they might want to use Bruney's spot on a catcher.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
I could live without Olmedo or Hudson, but other than that, I don't see any real DFA candidates. Moving Bruney to the 60DL is pretty much the only way to get someone else added to the 40.

Another thing to consider if the Sox think they might have more games with Flowers at C and AJ at DH, then they might want to use Bruney's spot on a catcher.

That will end when PK gets back.

You have to be careful when calling up guys when you are in a race for the playoffs. For one thing, if they really were all that good, they probably would already be on the team, so they probably won't play much. The other thing is, you don't want to crowd the clubhouse too much and make it uncomfortable for everyone. The Sox will obviously call up a few guys, but I would be shocked if its more than 4 or 5 and that number is probably high.